U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 07:45 PM

8,032 posts, read 20,128,555 times

Advertisements

So we'll be coming down in May and I am looking for a great place to camp basically anywhere near Vogel state park or even within an hour of Vogel. I know nothing of the forests of Northern Georgia and only know of the Chattahoochee because of Alan Jackson. Are there mountain view tops or towers to climb? water falls? good fishing? good hiking(non-paved) swimming a plus. Wildlife viewing? We will be tent camping for the weekend don't mind driving or if a campground is off the beaten path. I prefer non packed touristy areas and not fully developed campgrounds but would like at least showers and toilets in a more rustic campground. I don't want to have 87 RV's driving past my tent all day. Anyways thanks for the tips, can't wait to explore Northern GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 07:57 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,459,958 times
Check out this book: Best in Tent Camping Georgia

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0897324986..._PCwcEbZSDN4Y0

Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 PM

6,635 posts, read 6,036,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So we'll be coming down in May and I am looking for a great place to camp basically anywhere near Vogel state park or even within an hour of Vogel. I know nothing of the forests of Northern Georgia and only know of the Chattahoochee because of Alan Jackson. Are there mountain view tops or towers to climb? water falls? good fishing? good hiking(non-paved) swimming a plus. Wildlife viewing? We will be tent camping for the weekend don't mind driving or if a campground is off the beaten path. I prefer non packed touristy areas and not fully developed campgrounds but would like at least showers and toilets in a more rustic campground. I don't want to have 87 RV's driving past my tent all day. Anyways thanks for the tips, can't wait to explore Northern GA.
In addition to Vogel State Park, checkout these close nearby areas:

> Lake Winfield Scott Recreation Area & Campground – Open Year Round (… is only a few minutes away from Vogel State Park)

> Brasstown Bald Recreation Area & Visitor Center (With an elevation of 4,784 feet above sea level, Brasstown Bald is Georgia's highest mountain peak)

> Morganton Point Recreation Area & Campground – Open Year Round (… offers fishing opportunities as it sits on the shores of and includes Lake Blue Ridge)

> DeSoto Falls Recreation Area

> Cooper's Creek Wildlife Management Area, Suches

> Vogel Overlook (scenic area on top of high hill/small mountain ridge that overlooks Vogel State Park and Lake Trahlyta from the southwest)

> Blood Mountain

> Chestatee Wildlife Management Area, Dahlonega

> Dockery Lake Recreational Area

> Appalachian Trail Southern Terminus

> Raven Cliff Falls Trail

Be aware that much (if not most) of the mountain wilderness and recreational areas of North Georgia are extremely popular with the Southeastern U.S. public, especially with a fast-growing major metropolis like Atlanta and its roughly 7 million regional residents being located only minutes to the south of this area.

Because the mountain wilderness areas of North Georgia (and Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee) are so extremely and overwhelmingly popular and beloved and cherished with Southeastern U.S. public, don't be surprised if finding a campground that is not busy potentially might could be a little bit of a challenge.

Here are some areas in the western of the North Georgia Mountain wilderness region (west of Georgia State Route 515) that potentially maybe might be less-frequented by tourists:

> Cohutta Wilderness Trailheads

> Cohutta Wildlife Management Area, Chatsworth

> Fort Mountain State Park, Chatsworth

Old 12-30-2019, 08:15 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,431,176 times
I've heard good things about Poteete Creek Campground. Never camped there as we have a house up here....But I'd go to Vogel itself. They have tent only walk-in campsites back off the beaten path where you would have all the amenities Vogel offers, but will also give some privacy. From Vogel you also have easy access to the Bald (Brasstown Bald) and the trail up on Blood Mountain. The winding drive to Suches is beautiful. You also have access to the falls.... When it comes to outdoor activities... you'll find everything you need in Union County.

https://www.visitblairsvillega.com/

Be sure to check out the visitor's guide at the above link..... You should be able to find all the info you need....

Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 PM
JAS

579 posts, read 1,819,768 times
I'm not familiar with the non-campground parks, but Vogel itself has a trail system as well as a swimhouse at the lake on the property. There is a campground on site - I assume there is tent camping. Have seen plenty of campers/RVs in the campground, so would definitely be busy as you mentioned as a drawback. You can check out the website for the park.

I also visit Black Rock Mountain park near Clayton.

A lesser-known park may be Standing Indian park over the border in NC between Hayesville, NC and Franklin, NC. Somewhat isolated, has fishing, hiking, camping.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 3,303 times
Lake Winfield Scott would be my top pick for you to check out. It will fit a lot of your criteria , plus you won't be over run with RV's because none of the camping sites have electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia