U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:45 PM

32 posts, read 7,571 times

Advertisements

If any of you don’t mind sharing your normal utility bills, I’d be grateful. We’re looking at a move to either N GA (Dahlonega/ blue ridge areas) or NW SC (north of Greenville, like the travelers rest area & we’ve already visited that area, GA is next) We currently live in NY so we have hefty bills in the winter. I’m assuming my winter bills in the south would be cheaper but might be negated by air conditioning in the warm months? Since we live in the mountains now, we don’t have nor need central air.

So what do your electric bills look like/ how big is your house?
What do most people have as their source of heat?
What are your water bills like?
Is a pool absolutely necessary?
Any other things I should look into?

Posting in the SC forum as well for both views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 08:13 PM

7,579 posts, read 4,118,314 times
Power costs depend a lot on the utility as well. I was on Georgia Power and after moving am with Sawnee EMC and my bills are lower. Total cost per Kw/h is about half Long Island rates that I paid years back.

Too many variables to give you an idea of how your house would look like, but the highest months I have are 2.5x my lowest for electricity. Those are in July, August and September due to heavy AC use.

I have natural gas heating which works well. Heaviest months are January and February but are nothing like NY. I had oil heat there.

Water is cheap, but again would depend on where you are and if you have water+sewer or just water (and septic).

I don’t think a pool is necessary.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:32 PM

3,755 posts, read 3,389,912 times
In Union County.... BREMC- I think it's high! With that said, it's going to depend on size, usage, etc. We have 3600 sq. ft... runs 200 to 300 per month. We have propane only, very reasonable, pre-buy in summer and usually have more than enough to last over a year. Last year's pre-buy was less than 2.00 per gallon. Once again, higher usage in winter, and depends on your own personal preferences. (We use our fireplace a lot, and well last year we barely had a winter). Our water is one of the local water districts. $21.00 a month minimum and do not use over the minimum. Septic system. Trash can be gotten through a local provider or you can take it to the transfer station yourself. We run about $1.25 per week.

Pool.... nah... why with all the lakes, rivers and streams? Our neighbor has one but they spend most of their time on the lake anyway......

Old 12-31-2019, 11:10 AM

3,600 posts, read 5,287,017 times
I have Sawnee electric & average around $80 per month in a house built in 1999, recently bought the house & have not done a lot of improvements yet, the HVAC is still original.

Plan to replace the HVAC with around 16 to 18 seer units this spring, which should bring the cost down quite a bit.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I have Sawnee electric & average around $80 per month in a house built in 1999, recently bought the house & have not done a lot of improvements yet, the HVAC is still original.

Plan to replace the HVAC with around 16 to 18 seer units this spring, which should bring the cost down quite a bit.
If you have SEER 10 today the savings for SEER 18 will likely never fully pay off here.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:04 PM

Maybe a better question would be - what is your typical ‘low’ and ‘high’ bills in terms of heat and electric?

Old 01-01-2020, 09:13 PM

I have a very large home so my numbers wouldn’t be reflective of the average. For example my gas bill for December was a bit under $200. Others may pay half that or less.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:48 AM

3,600 posts, read 5,287,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you have SEER 10 today the savings for SEER 18 will likely never fully pay off here.

No it's an 8 and is 20 years old, I don't want to get caught with the unit going out in July. I recently bought the house & want to finish the basement so I'll also be adding a 3rd zone to the house. I am unsure what Seer rating I will be going with though.

Water has been around $40 & gas around $70.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I have a very large home so my numbers wouldn’t be reflective of the average. For example my gas bill for December was a bit under $200. Others may pay half that or less.
I’m at about $400 and up for heat for the winter months and we have the heat on from
About October- April so $200 sounds great lol

Old 01-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Is your electric bill crazy in the warm months with such a big house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or