U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-15-2020, 04:52 AM
 
3,854 posts, read 9,094,205 times
Reputation: 2295

Advertisements

US News and World Report. It improved from #32 in 2018.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 AM
 
7,957 posts, read 4,270,468 times
Reputation: 7763
HEALTH CARE: 39
EDUCATION: 30
ECONOMY: 11
INFRASTRUCTURE: 10
OPPORTUNITY: 21
FISCAL STABILITY: 9
CRIME & CORRECTIONS: 27
NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: 20

So if you dig deeper into the breakdown, someone living in GA in a safe area with good schools and access to healthcare will find Georgia even better than #17.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,399 posts, read 6,282,464 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
HEALTH CARE: 39
EDUCATION: 30
ECONOMY: 11
INFRASTRUCTURE: 10
OPPORTUNITY: 21
FISCAL STABILITY: 9
CRIME & CORRECTIONS: 27
NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: 20

So if you dig deeper into the breakdown, someone living in GA in a safe area with good schools and access to healthcare will find Georgia even better than #17.
As someone who works in healthcare, I figured we would be higher. I’ve worked in other areas of the country and they are way behind in many aspects.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 AM
 
4,335 posts, read 1,602,609 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
As someone who works in healthcare, I figured we would be higher. I’ve worked in other areas of the country and they are way behind in many aspects.
Two things drag down healthcare in Georgia:

1. Convoluted and archaic Certificate of Need (CON) law that makes it extremely difficult for medical facilities to expand to meet demand.

We saw this one play out with how hard the CTCA had to fight to get its patient restrictions limited.

2. The state's refusal to allow for Medicaid expansion so that low income residents can seek the health care treatment they need and is otherwise umaffordable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM
 
7,957 posts, read 4,270,468 times
Reputation: 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
As someone who works in healthcare, I figured we would be higher. I’ve worked in other areas of the country and they are way behind in many aspects.
It’s likely due to healthcare inequality to both low income residents as well as rural ones. Personally I’d rather be in a state where fiscal health and the economy are strong but I understand why others might feel differently.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 09:59 AM
 
4,335 posts, read 1,602,609 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It’s likely due to healthcare inequality to both low income residents as well as rural ones. Personally I’d rather be in a state where fiscal health and the economy are strong but I understand why others might feel differently.
Those thing aren't mutually exclusive from improved healthcare and education.

There are states where all of those things are strong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 01:38 PM
 
7,957 posts, read 4,270,468 times
Reputation: 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Those thing aren't mutually exclusive from improved healthcare and education.

There are states where all of those things are strong.
Utah looks like the best bet. But I’ll stick with GA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 01:48 PM
 
4,335 posts, read 1,602,609 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Utah looks like the best bet. But I’ll stick with GA.
Also, Minnesota.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 03:29 PM
 
7,957 posts, read 4,270,468 times
Reputation: 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Also, Minnesota.
I was just in MN yesterday. GA 100x over MN.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 03:44 PM
 
4,335 posts, read 1,602,609 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I was just in MN yesterday. GA 100x over MN.
If weather was the dealbreaker, agreed 100%

I've heard the people in Minneapolis jokingly say their brutally cold winters is like the only repellant that prevents them from experiencing Atlanta-like (or Sunbelt-like in general) explosive growth.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-15-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top