Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 09:29 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-e...200207618.html

Curious if this will get a lot more play as we run into another election year here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
So there are a few quotes I'd like to discuss:

"It is not clear, however, if the FBI ever examined the image to try to determine whether it had been compromised, a significant question given federal findings of interference by Russian military intelligence agents in the 2016 election."
I am bothered as to why the FBI would not try to make this determination. There should be no "it is not clear." What is going on?

"A protective order prevented Lamb from speaking to a reporter about his findings."

Why would something like this be kept a secret from the public? I was under the impression unless a deal has been struck between plaintiff and defendant to keep things quite/someone's life would be in danger that all matters are to be made public. This actually concerns the public because our personal data was not secured.

This all sounds very fishy.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:17 AM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I thought Georgia totally revamped their voting system to totally wall it off from the Internet since the 2016 elections. I used to live in Georgia, and I recall reading this, but dont recall where.

Georgia was One of the few States that had a voting system with ties to the Insternet in 2016. So, after POTENTIAL Russian hacking came up, the Feds went into those states and dug deep to be sure they were not hacked.

They Feds eithr came up empty and there was no evidence of hacking, or they found evidence, and it was too minimal to change the outcome, or it was full blown and would have changed outcomes, and they are concealing it from the public.

If there was full blown hacking, the outcomes could have been scewed Democrat or Republican...either way.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 AM

128 posts, read 105,350 times
Georgia's 2016 election was a complete farce anyway with the head of election security in charge of his own election.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciblue View Post
Georgia's 2016 election was a complete farce anyway with the head of election security in charge of his own election.
If you’re referring to Kemp that was 2018. And it’s not uncommon for a sitting Secretary of State to run for governor.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 6,845 times
This story is receiving national attention however the local press appears indifferent. My guess is that because neither the City of Atlanta or the HJAIA is implicated this is not newsworthy.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...lection-server

Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehshead690 View Post
This story is receiving national attention however the local press appears indifferent. My guess is that because neither the City of Atlanta or the HJAIA is implicated this is not newsworthy.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...lection-server
I have a little problem taking seriously people who say this:

"...A 2019 National Academies of Sciences report said that the only secure voting solution were hand-marked ballots that were processed by scanners that leave a tangible paper trail...."

Now I don't know the context of that quote, but paper ballots can and have been tampered with, here and around the world. And anybody remember the Minnesota Senate race with the mind readers trying to figure out what voters meant? Hand marked is just about the worst system available in 2020.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,313,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
So there are a few quotes I'd like to discuss:

"It is not clear, however, if the FBI ever examined the image to try to determine whether it had been compromised, a significant question given federal findings of interference by Russian military intelligence agents in the 2016 election."
I am bothered as to why the FBI would not try to make this determination. There should be no "it is not clear." What is going on?

"A protective order prevented Lamb from speaking to a reporter about his findings."

Why would something like this be kept a secret from the public? I was under the impression unless a deal has been struck between plaintiff and defendant to keep things quite/someone's life would be in danger that all matters are to be made public. This actually concerns the public because our personal data was not secured.

This all sounds very fishy.

Regarding the FBI, it sounds fishy because it's not true.
The web server was taken down and delivered to the FBI. Here's a link from 2017:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/f/...d-effad7b00001
It says
"On March 30th , KSU employees (President Olens, CIO, AVP Strategic Communications, Legal Counsel,
CISO, CES Representatives) met with the FBI and US Attorney's Office regarding the outcome of the
Federal Investigation. Chad Hunt shared that the investigation had yielded no data that "escalates to the
point of breach". "

Here is an article has a much better analysis and level of detail.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...16-vote-100334
What Logan Lamb described seeing (a user account named ShellShock) is something a beginner-level analysis should have spotted.
Whoever in the FBI examined the server back in 2014 failed to do his job or lied about what he found.

By-the-way, here is the suit that we are talking about filed against Kemp and the State of Georgia that was filed back in 2017:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...40678-1-2.html
It has a good bit of detail. I used to be a systems administrator and had web servers as part of my duties. I was astonished and horrified at what I read about the election center.

What makes me angry is that the state fought for years to prevent access to the forensic copy of the server. There is no reason for that other than evil people being evil.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Regarding the FBI, it sounds fishy because it's not true.
The web server was taken down and delivered to the FBI. Here's a link from 2017:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/f/...d-effad7b00001
It says
"On March 30th , KSU employees (President Olens, CIO, AVP Strategic Communications, Legal Counsel,
CISO, CES Representatives) met with the FBI and US Attorney's Office regarding the outcome of the
Federal Investigation. Chad Hunt shared that the investigation had yielded no data that "escalates to the
point of breach". "

Here is an article has a much better analysis and level of detail.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...16-vote-100334
What Logan Lamb described seeing (a user account named ShellShock) is something a beginner-level analysis should have spotted.
Whoever in the FBI examined the server back in 2014 failed to do his job or lied about what he found.

By-the-way, here is the suit that we are talking about filed against Kemp and the State of Georgia that was filed back in 2017:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...40678-1-2.html
It has a good bit of detail. I used to be a systems administrator and had web servers as part of my duties. I was astonished and horrified at what I read about the election center.

What makes me angry is that the state fought for years to prevent access to the forensic copy of the server. There is no reason for that other than evil people being evil.
I agree that is very bad press for the state that they were preventing the copy from getting out.

Also, Secretary of States run but don't stay in office through the voting process, at best it shows he has zero respect for the state and the voters. This isn't Putin's Russia or any other fascist government for that matter. His win will always be mared by the fact he oversaw his own election, that isn't done in this country.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:58 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you’re referring to Kemp that was 2018. And it’s not uncommon for a sitting Secretary of State to run for governor.
In other more recent races around the country where this has been the case, they also have not been without controversy: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...220228190.html

When it happens in a Southern state no longer bound by the preclearance rule of the VRA (struck down by SCOTUS in 2013) and the SOS's opponent is Black, it's especially controversial. But hey, gotta give Kemp credit for heeding the calls to resign as SOS--AFTER the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia