U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:08 AM

3,794 posts, read 5,469,880 times

Advertisements

I've heard she bought & sold stocks form several newspapers, but then I read from a financial source, not only did she dump her stocks but she bought shorts & options. To me if she did this then she really needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 02:10 PM

555 posts, read 129,854 times
I hope she goes to prison for this.

NO financial manager would invest millions without consulting a client first. She lied, period.

And on another note why is a woman in her 40s still trying to look like a cheerleader? She cannot accept her age.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:16 PM

1,321 posts, read 535,509 times
She needs to step down or be forced out. Enough is enough.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:15 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,555,960 times
The stench emanating from what appears to have happened with Senator Loeffler's trading activity is disgusting, at least as it looks at this point in time. A bit of cooperation & transparency from her would be helpful and at least reassure Georgians that she does not have anything to hide. To not cooperate, can only make this look worse for her.
There is some noise being made about the necessity of passing legislation to restrict the ability of members of Congress to buy and sell sell stock for individual companies. Perhaps that is worth looking into but the way the Senate is comprised at this time, I doubt that McConnell would go for it, much less even allow a reform bill to come to the Senate floor.

Financial abuse & corruption by public officials is one of my pet peeves. Those of us who have been here in Georgia a long time may recall when powerful and long-lasting Democratic Senator Herman Talmadge was caught in an absolute mess of financial corruption prior to his 1980 re-election campaign. We decisively voted him out in the November, 1980 election.
In view of the defeat of the inarguably crooked but yet very powerful Talmadge, there is in the history books a memorable example of Georgians voting to oust a Senator who was proved to be a crook.

Hopefully we may soon get the facts in the case of Senator Loeffler and then put the choice into the hands of Georgians come November.

Last edited by atler8; 04-07-2020 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: edited out a line

Old 04-07-2020, 08:03 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,102,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The stench emanating from what appears to have happened with Senator Loeffler's trading activity is disgusting, at least as it looks at this point in time. A bit of cooperation & transparency from her would be helpful and at least reassure Georgians that she does not have anything to hide. To not cooperate, can only make this look worse for her.
There is some noise being made about the necessity of passing legislation to restrict the ability of members of Congress to buy and sell sell stock for individual companies. Perhaps that is worth looking into but the way the Senate is comprised at this time, I doubt that McConnell would go for it, much less even allow a reform bill to come to the Senate floor.

Financial abuse & corruption by public officials is one of my pet peeves. Those of us who have been here in Georgia a long time may recall when powerful and long-lasting Democratic Senator Herman Talmadge was caught in an absolute mess of financial corruption prior to his 1980 re-election campaign. We decisively voted him out in the November, 1980 election.
In view of the defeat of the inarguably crooked but yet very powerful Talmadge, there is in the history books a memorable example of Georgians voting to oust a Senator who was proved to be a crook.

Hopefully we may soon get the facts in the case of Senator Loeffler and then put the choice into the hands of Georgians come November.
I would support any and all legislation limiting financial gain for sitting government officials. This includes state government.

The only thing unusual for Loeffler is that she's new to the game. There are many out there in Washington - in both parties - that have somehow turned a nominal annual salary into millions of dollars over 20-30 years.

But for comments saying "she lied", there still needs to be proof. If and when it's presented, she can resign, be voted out in November (or at the primary) or some other option. I do find it rather suspicious but as always in our society, we need to assume innocence unless proven differently. I realize this doesn't fit the latest #metoo and other narratives.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 AM

Default More dicey financial trandsaction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I would support any and all legislation limiting financial gain for sitting government officials. This includes state government.

The only thing unusual for Loeffler is that she's new to the game. There are many out there in Washington - in both parties - that have somehow turned a nominal annual salary into millions of dollars over 20-30 years.

But for comments saying "she lied", there still needs to be proof. If and when it's presented, she can resign, be voted out in November (or at the primary) or some other option. I do find it rather suspicious but as always in our society, we need to assume innocence unless proven differently. I realize this doesn't fit the latest #metoo and other narratives.
Your point about the "she lied" sentiment is on the mark. The ONLY circumstances in which we will be able to accurately say such a phrase is after a thorough investigation that not only finds the truth of what she and her husband did in terms of their financial transactions but also proves she did indeed lie.
Where we are at now in the case of Senator Loeffler is highly troubling though. I do not understand a position of intransigence in terms of refusing to be transparent. Such a strategy can only serve to prolong the issue and sow doubt as to her honesty.
Why would she pursue such a path? I don't understand that unless she is getting & heeding bad advice from others.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:34 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,102,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Your point about the "she lied" sentiment is on the mark. The ONLY circumstances in which we will be able to accurately say such a phrase is after a thorough investigation that not only finds the truth of what she and her husband did in terms of their financial transactions but also proves she did indeed lie.
Where we are at now in the case of Senator Loeffler is highly troubling though. I do not understand a position of intransigence in terms of refusing to be transparent. Such a strategy can only serve to prolong the issue and sow doubt as to her honesty.
Why would she pursue such a path? I don't understand that unless she is getting & heeding bad advice from others.
Personally, I think she let something slip. Either blatantly and purposefully or indirectly and accidentally.

It could be her -> husband -> friend -> broker. Or it could be her -> broker.

Depending on the level of investigation done it could be "nothing found", a slap on the wrist or something deeper. I worked for a company once that had the DOJ clamping down and top executives went to jail for obstruction of justice. Not for what they did, but for what they attempted to hide from the government.

Regardless of the actual truth the optics are bad, at a time when Kemp looks dopey in the national news as well for his comment.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:49 AM

Default More dicey financial transactions by Senator Loeffler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Personally, I think she let something slip. Either blatantly and purposefully or indirectly and accidentally.

It could be her -> husband -> friend -> broker. Or it could be her -> broker.

Depending on the level of investigation done it could be "nothing found", a slap on the wrist or something deeper. I worked for a company once that had the DOJ clamping down and top executives went to jail for obstruction of justice. Not for what they did, but for what they attempted to hide from the government.

Regardless of the actual truth the optics are bad, at a time when Kemp looks dopey in the national news as well for his comment.
Yes, as you said the optics are terrible not only for Kemp & for Loeffler in both stories but also for our state. It's an embarrassment because both stories have played out in the national press.

As I mentioned several days ago on another forum thread, the news has traveled far and wide such that even the right wing Daily Mail newspaper in the UK posted a story that was critical not only of Kemp but also by extension critical of Trump.

Last edited by atler8; 04-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-07-2020, 09:53 PM

680 posts, read 441,107 times
I'm not buying the story that she took advantage of special knowledge.
Senators are required by law to report their financial transactions (including spouse), and it's posted on the Senate's web site.
You can search by name.
https://efdsearch.senate.gov/

I'm not seeing a pattern of anticipation of the pandemic in either the purchases or sales. If they were trying to profit off of it, they failed. They didn't buy or sell very much and did not dive into the very market (healthcare products) that could be expected to profit.
Considering the size of her fortune compared to the small size of these few transactions, I would guess that she has probably lost millions, if not tens of millions of dollars during the stock market's recent plummet.

However, you'll notice that many other Senators report nothing. That's the real advantage of the blind trust - to prevent these kinds of cherry-picking accusations.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 277,127 times
I've been gone from Georgia for 15 years, but still have property there and remain interested in politics.

From looking at where Sen. Loeffler lives and the family's lifestyle, they appear to be a pair of show dogs.

But I was wondering if anyone on here really knows Sen. Loeffler personally? What's she like in person? What's her character really like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia