U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2020, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,612 posts, read 3,555,156 times
Reputation: 4414

Advertisements

Did any of you catch the interview as it happened or find a tape of Senator Loeffler's interview on Fox News this morning?
Linked here is a piece out of the WaPo that looks at and then offers an analysis of what Senator Loeffler said in defense of herself on Fox News.
If I hadn't seen this exhibit of sanctimonious entitlement coming from Senator Loeffler, I would not have thought she was capable of such a wholesale, pretzel-like twisting of her stock trading imbroglio into a completely self-serving and self-pitying word salad of utter nonsense!

In blaming her problems on attacks from "socialists", the Senator used an old-style defense mechanism of diversion in the interview that unwittingly revealed a contempt for her constituents who she apparently thought would be sidetracked from the issues at heart if she threw the red meat word "socialists" into the fray.
All in all, Loeffler revealed her true self today through her disgusting elitism and sense of entitlement.
I have not been so disgusted with a Georgia U.S. Senator since we voted out long-time Senate incumbent Herman Talmadge in 1980! Georgians deserve far better from a sitting U.S. Senator!

A second look at the interview & her current situation is provided at the link from Businessinsider.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/polit...rus/index.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/kell...-attack-2020-4

Last edited by atler8; 04-17-2020 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: added a sentence & eliminated extra lines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2020, 02:49 PM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Reputation: 9658
I didn't realize until I looked at a stack ranked list that she's the wealthiest person in congress by a long shot.

What I don't understand (other than a quest for power) is why she'd bother subjecting herself to all of this if she's worth $500 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2020, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,612 posts, read 3,555,156 times
Reputation: 4414
Default More dicey financial transactions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I didn't realize until I looked at a stack ranked list that she's the wealthiest person in congress by a long shot.

What I don't understand (other than a quest for power) is why she'd bother subjecting herself to all of this if she's worth $500 million.
And the fact that her husband is the Chairman of the New York Stock Exchange makes the pair of them a true "power couple" which only compounds your question, markjames.
The tone and logic employed in the Fox News interview of this morning really is not at all a good look for her and I can't help but think that someone they have in their employ as a consultant thought it was a good idea. Well, it obviously wasn't.
So, by extension the question left begging is whether or not Senator Loeffler and her husband have operated in this manner throughout their adult lives or if the stock trade episode was a one-off lapse in judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2020, 03:30 PM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Reputation: 9658
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
So, by extension the question left begging is whether or not Senator Loeffler and her husband have operated in this manner throughout their adult lives or if the stock trade episode was a one-off lapse in judgment.
Wealthy people and career politicians all seem to have a “do as I say, not as I do” mentality. Both parties have demonstrated far too many examples of this.

Loeffler doesn’t thrill me as a candidate in November, but I need to see how the race shapes up before I decide how to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2020, 07:23 PM
 
3,792 posts, read 5,468,845 times
Reputation: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I didn't realize until I looked at a stack ranked list that she's the wealthiest person in congress by a long shot.

What I don't understand (other than a quest for power) is why she'd bother subjecting herself to all of this if she's worth $500 million.
Her husband made all the money & is 69, she is/was the trophy wife, her being a senator opens a lot of doors for him. It also sets her up for life socially, she will always be known as Senator Loeffler where ever she goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2020, 07:57 AM
bu2
 
10,990 posts, read 7,328,921 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I didn't realize until I looked at a stack ranked list that she's the wealthiest person in congress by a long shot.

What I don't understand (other than a quest for power) is why she'd bother subjecting herself to all of this if she's worth $500 million.
Good question. The better question, regardless of the merits of the claims against her, is why would any decent person subject themselves to the attacks by the media and their opponents.

The answer, judging from our current politicians, is that they don't. We have a bunch of deplorables in DC from both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2020, 07:59 AM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Reputation: 9658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Good question. The better question, regardless of the merits of the claims against her, is why would any decent person subject themselves to the attacks by the media and their opponents.

The answer, judging from our current politicians, is that they don't. We have a bunch of deplorables in DC from both parties.
Absolutely true. I don’t know of any other profession where the salary is really just seen as a stepping stone to riches obtained through the granting of favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 AM
bu2
 
10,990 posts, read 7,328,921 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Her husband made all the money & is 69, she is/was the trophy wife, her being a senator opens a lot of doors for him. It also sets her up for life socially, she will always be known as Senator Loeffler where ever she goes.
She was a pretty successful executive, but the billions were, as you say, made by her husband. These trades (especially those of the NC senator) need to be investigated, but in fairness:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...nt_143063.html


"...Take a moment to admire the storytelling craft in that passage. The Daily Beast’s reporters make perfectly clear what they want readers to infer, without ever explicitly overstepping the rather unremarkable facts of the case: Millions of dollars in stock! A “private” briefing on coronavirus! Stocks hammered!

It would be a juicy story -- if not for a few inconvenient facts. Fact No. 1: Sen. Loeffler and her husband lost more than $1 million on the trades in question. Fact No. 2: They don’t actually manage their own investment portfolios; Fact No. 3, the “private” briefing came from federal officials who said the new coronavirus was nothing to worry about....

On Jan. 24 — the day of the “private” meeting with Dr. Anthony Fauci and officials from the CDC, among others — the Dow Jones Industrial Average stood at 28,989. It was not for another month — on Feb. 21 — that the DJIA fell below 29,000 and stayed there. If Anthony Fauci and epidemiologists unveiled secret information to the entire Senate that led Loeffler to sell, sell, sell — as the Daily Beast and follow-up coverage elsewhere implied — why was the stock market essentially flat for four weeks afterward?...



Six of the reported transactions were sales of complex “put options” on companies including Goldman Sachs, Chevron and Discover Financial, among others. The Discover put sale serves as a good example. On Feb. 5 -- more than a week after the Senate briefing -- Sprecher’s portfolio manager sold someone the right to force him to buy up to $15,000 of Discover Financial Services (DFS) stock at $72.50 per share. At the time, Discover was trading above $77 per share, so the put was worth little. Today, with DFS trading around $36 per share, the right to sell it at $72.50 is worth a great deal more. And, to be clear, Loeffler and her husband were on the losing end of that trade.

CNBC, in apparent attempt to support the narrative that the Loefflers were acting on inside information, described their option trades as “hedges against volatility.” Except that if you wanted to hedge against volatility associated with a major market sell-off, the last thing you would do is sell puts in oil, airline or financial companies. Because of the way options prices respond to increased volatility, you would buy puts to hedge against that type of volatility explosion....


Lastly, by talking up the “millions” in stock sales by Loeffler and her husband, the reporting on the story has obscured the fact that when you’re worth some $800 million, the sale of a few million worth of stock is not that remarkable. “The transaction volume [in our transaction reports] is consistent with the transaction volume in our portfolio before I joined the Senate,” Sen. Loeffler told me in a recent interview. The trades in question, she said, represent “a single-digit portion of our net worth...."”
<This is the most obvious question-how typical was this-but nobody else was asking this>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2020, 08:09 AM
bu2
 
10,990 posts, read 7,328,921 times
Reputation: 4925
She had an uphill battle against Rep. Collins in the primary, but realistically, this should certainly be enough to put him over the top. Rep. Collins is a die-hard President Trump supporter and very, very conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2020, 08:58 AM
 
9,986 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Reputation: 9658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
She had an uphill battle against Rep. Collins in the primary, but realistically, this should certainly be enough to put him over the top. Rep. Collins is a die-hard President Trump supporter and very, very conservative.
Until Stacey gets passed over as Biden's running mate and then decides to run for Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top