U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:18 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,560,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Georgia drivers aren't good compared to who? I have lived in Virginia, Florida, and Alabama and other than driving faster, the GA drivers are much better drivers...especially when compared to FL and AL.
No.. no.. & no, a thousand times!

I'm absolutely horrified by what I see occurring on our roads!

I've lived in 3 states over my lifetime & in the last decade driven in many major cities that in terms of overall traffic volume & road complexity patterns far outrank what Atlanta offers by comparison, i.e. LA, Chicago for example.
By comparison, the drivers here in Atlanta, and by extension in many rural parts of the state, drive far too fast & TAILGATE TO THE EXTREME as compared to what I've experienced elsewhere. In addition we've been astounded to witness the more recent rise of the offense of passing on a double yellow line as well.

As for Alabama specifically, which you mentioned, I had to attend a awake over there late last year. Only when I got to far western Georgia to a point within about 15 miles of the state line did the craziness, excessive speed, tailgating all done in the face of high traffic volumes subside appreciably.
Once in Alabama, I felt far more comfortable behind the wheel.

The relaxation of the testing standards here in Georgia in any way is a major mistake!

Last edited by atler8; 05-04-2020 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: corected a spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:22 AM

10,122 posts, read 5,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
No.. no.. & no, a thousand times!

I'm absolutely horrified by what I see occurring on our roads!

I've lived in 3 states over my lifetime & in the last decade driven in many major cities that in terms of overall traffic volume & road complexity patterns far outrank what Atlanta offers by comparison, i.e. LA, Chicago for example.
As for Alabama specifically, which you mentioned, I had to attend a awake over there late last year. Only when I got to far western Georgia to a point within about 15 miles of the state line did the craziness, excessive speed, tailgating all done in the face of high traffic volumes subside appreciably.
Once in Alabama, I felt far more comfortable behind the wheel.

The relaxation of the testing standards here in Georgia in any way is a major mistake!
I have experienced what you have said with respect to speed, tailgating and other behaviors in ATL. But not as much once you get well outside the metro. And certainly not noticeably different than my experience driving and living in the Northeast, especially metro NYC.

But FL still takes the cake for me when dealing with people driving 45 in the left lane with their right turn indicator on (next exit is 20 miles away), pulling out of a parking lot into traffic without looking and other unsafe behaviors. Youth aggression there is likely substituted with slow/poor judgement and long reaction times by senior drivers.

When I lived in SW Florida I saw more fender benders and accidents in a day during snowbird season than I see here in a month - person hits car, hits pole, hits building, hits tree in median, hits truck, hits barrier, hits cyclist, hits pedestrian, etc.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:54 AM

5,845 posts, read 4,726,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I have experienced what you have said with respect to speed, tailgating and other behaviors in ATL. But not as much once you get well outside the metro. And certainly not noticeably different than my experience driving and living in the Northeast, especially metro NYC.

But FL still takes the cake for me when dealing with people driving 45 in the left lane with their right turn indicator on (next exit is 20 miles away), pulling out of a parking lot into traffic without looking and other unsafe behaviors. Youth aggression there is likely substituted with slow/poor judgement and long reaction times by senior drivers.

When I lived in SW Florida I saw more fender benders and accidents in a day during snowbird season than I see here in a month - person hits car, hits pole, hits building, hits tree in median, hits truck, hits barrier, hits cyclist, hits pedestrian, etc.
Do you think that the flatter, straighter roads of Florida have anything to do with that?

Old 05-04-2020, 01:57 PM

1,360 posts, read 810,994 times
A decision that 's beyond insane. The honor system???

I heard Covid-19 can affect brain functions too.

Maybe Kemp's brain is gone and is no longer asymptomatic.

Last edited by frankrj; 05-04-2020 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 03:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 810,994 times
Quote:

I never see those 45mph on I-75. Although I rarely need the freeway except for weekends.

On Tamiami Trail where people routinely do 55-65 in certain sections, yes they do drive 45 like they're a pace car or off-duty cop.
The youth drivers do make up for it. One of them in a brand new Mercedes cut me off doing 85-90mph in the far right fwy lane and needed to swerve into my middle lane where I was doing 70-75 b/c the car in front of them was doing 65. You know those people who like to pass on the right at high speeds, zig in and out. I was mad their swerving into my lane but then I went into a silent applause mode because I was shocked how they didn't rear end the left side of that car or hit the right front of mine. I grew up driving from a very large city and thought I was good but they did a Fast n Furious maneuver.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I never see those 45mph on I-75. Although I rarely need the freeway except for weekends.

On Tamiami Trail where people routinely do 55-65 in certain sections, yes they do drive 45 like they're a pace car or off-duty cop.
The youth drivers do make up for it. One of them in a brand new Mercedes cut me off doing 85-90mph in the far right fwy lane and needed to swerve into my middle lane where I was doing 70-75 b/c the car in front of them was doing 65. You know those people who like to pass on the right at high speeds, zig in and out. I was mad their swerving into my lane but then I went into a silent applause mode because I was shocked how they didn't rear end the left side of that car or hit the right front of mine. I grew up driving from a very large city and thought I was good but they did a Fast n Furious maneuver.
Between Cape Coral and Naples I’ve seen it probably a dozen times where they’ve driven 55 or slower. In the left lane. I slowed down once to one guy’s speed (as he had the turn signal on) and he was doing 45. There was no exit for quite a while, but perhaps 20 miles was an exaggeration.

His license plate cover said WWII vet and he had Marines and Iwo Jima stickers on his back window so I just drove by, gave him a friendly wave and continued on. If he fought at Iwo Jima who am I to critique anything about his driving.

I agree 100% with your comment about the zigzag passing. I would see that a lot around Tampa south on I-75.

Getting things back on subject, I was watching CNN this weekend and Christi Paul mentioned her daughter just got her license “online” or something like that, mentioning the waived driving test.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Do you think that the flatter, straighter roads of Florida have anything to do with that?
With what, seniors hitting things? I think it’s because (from the accidents I’ve personally seen happen) their judgment is slow or impaired, or their vision is impaired, and they just pull out into traffic. In the case of Naples the median age is 61.

If you’re referring to driving slowly on the highway from what I’ve experienced the opposite happens - you lose reference points when everything is flat and featureless and you may drive faster.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:58 AM

946 posts, read 345,252 times
Close to 20,000 teens have gotten their drivers license without taking a road test

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/clo...ng-a-road-test

Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,042,233 times
Quote:
With what, seniors hitting things? I think it’s because (from the accidents I’ve personally seen happen) their judgment is slow or impaired, or their vision is impaired, and they just pull out into traffic. In the case of Naples the median age is 61.

If you’re referring to driving slowly on the highway from what I’ve experienced the opposite happens - you lose reference points when everything is flat and featureless and you may drive faster.

It happens in Phoenix too... my take, after living in most ares of the US and having driven/ridden motorcycles in all 50 states, is that there are Massive regional differences for driver behavior. In Boston, it's not only acceptable but Expected that 5~6 cars will run a light once it's turned red. Take that Boston driver, make them a snowbird and suddenly they're T-boning people who are used to going the instant a light turns green (never a good idea if cross-traffic is still moving BTW, you don't really think about it till you're looking at hospital time or death vs a inconvenient fender bender). Anyway, there are LOTS of regional differences that lead to silly little accidents, put all of those different driving styles in one place and you're going to get lots of little accidents.

As for the original point of this post, my drivers test was a complete joke. The tester checked the vehicle (headlights, turn signals, brake lights and horn), had me pull out of a parking lot, drive around the block and park back in the exact same parking spot (a typical diagonal pull-in spot). Completely unnecessary, even after not being allowed to take a driving class (dad sold insurance, rates were HIGHER for kids who'd taken the class... we're talking many decades ago now, no clue what it's like today). But I also had parents who gave a dam and provided education well above and beyond what schools provided.

Even my motorcycle test was stupidly simple and had next to no real bearing on real world riding.

Things aren't going to be any worse for not having a driving test till mid-May. It'll be interesting to see if this comes back to haunt some parents though, if their kid gets a license now but causes an accident with an overly-litigious person.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:49 AM

1,467 posts, read 451,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Close to 20,000 teens have gotten their drivers license without taking a road test

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/clo...ng-a-road-test
Kemp is liking going to issue an executive order on all of these licenses some time later this month requiring them to have to retest by a certain date or their license will expire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or