U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 10:03 AM

194 posts, read 61,848 times

Advertisements

A concern which I think may be a concern to others, is who must venture out to have their annual vehicle emission test performed.

Some state motor vehicle departments even appear to have conflicting policies in view of risk/reward aka risk/revenue to some peoples view, mine certainly included. Take as one example my state of Georgia.

There seems some irony in fact that Georgia temporarily allows teens to forego the requirement to take their driving test with motor vehicle test person, yet they require seniors (excepting those age 65 and over with vehicle at least ten years old) to venture out and risk infection of Covid-19.

In my situation, I will be sixty-four in a month. Myself, my sister and my brother-in-law are caring for elderly parents. One of those now in a rehab center risking Covid-19 infection.
We are their lifeline. All required to venture out for their emission test in order to obtain their vehicle tags for next year, are being put at risk.

IMO all critical thinking adults are well aware, that just because employees at an emission testing facility may be wearing a mask and gloves, they still must enter your vehicle to connect the testing device, and any virus contaminants that may be present and/or emitted by said emission tester, may be circulating within your vehicle after the test is complete. This seems an avoidable route to transmitting Covid-19 to a great many people, with seniors most at risk. I'm thinking many of us have have been around people wearing masks wrong, wearing masks that have been used over and over by others and so on. The risks of contamination are certainly real and viable for anyone who must go out, be it grocery runs of motor vehicle emission testing. Groceries are essential, an emission test is not.

I'm all for cleaner air, and in pre-Covid-19 times I was staunch supporter of vigorous emission testing, but in these Covid-19 days, emission testing makes no sense. I have called various emission facilities inquiring as to their Covid-19 prevention measures. I called emission testing facilities and where I received vague or condescending-sounding replies to my safety procedure questions, I ruled those facilities out. Even those who related they were being careful and had safety measures in place, I find these assurances only as effective as each individual interaction between the person having the emission test done, and the tester performing the test. How each protects themselves and the other. It requires, in my opinion, a real leap of faith to think risk is near zero. Many safety criteria must be met in order to ensure all go away from the emission test safely.

If one was cynical (and who these days is not?), one might suspect a calculus has been made in each state/county weighing loss of revenue vs risk of more infections for Covid-19. For younger people, the risks of surviving Covid-19 are better. For seniors, Covid-19 infection means lower odds of survival.

I think states should suspend the annual emission testing until we have vaccinated our population, and certainly our seniors. This would be one more step to controlling Covid-19 spread and increased fatalities, and if that seems too draconian to the powers that be in our state/local governments, than at minimum please waive the emission testing for those age sixty and over, as well those with legitimate health issues.

I applaud state/county motor vehicle departments who value the safety of their driving examiners and have suspended drivers tests for new drivers, however, just as important are the large numbers of seniors who are being put at risk in having to venture out to obtain their vehicle emission tests in this time of Covid-19. This is not a justifiable policy and frankly it is not common sense based on what we know about who is least likely to survive the Covid-19 virus.

Please speak out, write your local/state motor vehicle agencies if you agree that the concern addressed herein is sensible step in lowering risks of Covid-19 spread, as well as decreasing the risk to our more vulnerable - our seniors and those among us with medical conditions that increase their risks in surviving Covid-19. Thank you for your consideration in speaking out on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 10:36 AM

341 posts, read 194,444 times
My car is due for testing too this month. Cringing a bit at the idea of it. Although where I go the guy does not sit in my car, just reaches in near where my left knee would be to hook up machine.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:23 PM

8,809 posts, read 11,103,369 times
Emissions aren't exactly an issue right now. You'd think they would issue a temporary moratorium on checks.

Last edited by ATLTJL; 05-09-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 03:46 PM

4,759 posts, read 1,918,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Emissions attend exactly an issue right now. You'd think they would issue a temporary moratorium on checks.
No way, just like any other tax, expect to pay it on time regardless if the world is coming to an end.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:22 PM

10,271 posts, read 5,199,733 times
Got mine done. Not a big deal. Wear a mask and use precautions.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 AM

341 posts, read 194,444 times
Deadline is extended to June 15th for current vehicle registrations, if you’re worried.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/vehic...4vyGiISgLzsBK/

Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 PM

298 posts, read 381,301 times
I was a little concerned about this too. Had mine done yesterday. Both the technician and I wore masks and stayed at least six feet apart. That took getting in and out of my car a couple of times during the quick 5-10 minute test. Once the test was finished, he tossed the certificate on my front seat while I swiped my card at his stand. Felt much safer than when going to the grocery store right afterwards.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:45 AM

9,298 posts, read 3,995,087 times
Police are being less strict about it in my experience, which is good.

My tag is currently expired and I haven’t been pulled over even though I’m sure come cops behind me have seen it.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:37 PM

5,824 posts, read 4,246,918 times
I had no problems today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or