U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 01:30 PM

673 posts, read 831,916 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly move back to Georgia, I was raised in a small town in Georgia, but have been living away for the last 4 years. I'm currently in Seattle, Washington, and some may recognize me from my other post. However I want to keep my options open.

I know Atlanta and Athens are very different, and not even that far apart. However, my options of transferring are between ATL airport, or a soon to open regional airport in Athens, Georgia. I'm looking for pros and cons between the two.

About me:

40 year old, single white man. No pets, no kids. Just me and 2 cars and a trailer full of enough to fill a 1 bedroom apartment. Speaking of which, which area would be better to rent, and eventually buy? Housing cost, rent, and such. I'm flexible as far as where to rent from, but I want at least 1 bedroom until I'm ready to start looking into buying.

To add to the situation, I do have family, my parents. They live about an hour away from Athens, in the other direction from Atlanta, Atlanta being about a 2hr, not quite 3hr drive away, so visiting won't be much of an issue in either case.

Now in terms of life outside of work, which are would be better? I don't go out much, but I'd like the option. I like malls, movie theaters, ect. I have transportation so transit isn't much of an issue for something I would need. I'm currently like I said, living just 20 minutes from downtown Seattle, so i'm quite accustomed now to having lots of options, and things to do. Concerts, city life, shopping, ect. Athens being a bit smaller, has a mall though I hear it's not so great these days. However has a smaller town feel and would be easier to get around.
So i'm asking for feedback, as far as Cost of living, some what affordable rent, and housing cost, and areas that I wouldn't be afraid to take a nice walk after dark, so crime would be a factor.
Also my budget will be about 42k/year.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 03:20 PM

6,646 posts, read 8,143,095 times
Quick, important question....

Are you saying you're transferring to the airport, like you are working in the airport? Or you are using the airport to fly to your work?

This will heavily impact the answer. If the latter, you really want to choose Atlanta.

Also, clarification on your budget? Is that your housing budget? housing/living expense budget? How much you make overall? pre-tax/post-tax? Does it need to reflect how much you put towards savings?

It might be better just to give your monthly housing budget for others to understand.

That aside. I lived in Athens for 7 years for college and grad school, of course I was younger. I loved that town and still love returning for a visit, both as a college student and beyond it.

The benefits Athens will have for you is you can live cheaper and closer to town and be in more unique areas for the money. The cost of living is very low there. You might like the neighborhood/living situation you can end up in better there for what you can afford. The town is very livable. The social character will be student dominated in-town and that is something you would have to get use to. You might also have fewer dating options your age, although not non-existent. There are good parks for a city that size. The State Botanical gardens are there and the college has a few amenities like the Georgia Museum of Art and it brings in small periodic street festivals that pretty much require free, student volunteers to pull off.

Problems Athens has faced is the economy isn't great outside the University, even compared to other cities its size and other college towns that same size. There are not many large employers paying higher wage jobs. The new Caterpillar plant in Bogart was probably the best thing that happened for some time. The region tends to run poorer, which has made it more affordable for students. In turn, their spending around town creates demand for restaurants, bars, shops, etc.. that would not otherwise exist. It gives you the cost of living of a poorer city, with the shopping amenities of an avg suburb thanks in part to student spending. The big problem is how much 18-25 years olds will over-run the character of Athens' most unique areas that make the town so great.

For malls.... this isn't that big of a deal, IMO. If you lived in Athens, you will drive 45 minutes west to the Mall of GA off of GA 20 via GA 316. Malls aren't really a daily need. They are more like a once a month need (or less). Gwinnett Arena also hosts concerts and is close to where GA316 hits I-85, so amenities in Gwinnett Co. are reachable to people in Athens for certain things. There is also a minor league baseball team in that same vicinity. Basically, there is Atlanta 1.5 hours away and the Atlanta region 45 minutes away. That makes some things feel closer or further apart.

Atlanta will have much more to do and a far greater variety. It will have more people your age at different socioeconomic levels and just more people from different backgrounds in general. It will have more dating options. The economy is much larger, more robust, more money and more options. In many ways you can likely find a better fit for you, even if you have initial trouble finding your niche in the region. What you won't have is the cheap cost of living really close to a town center, like you will find in Athens. The same thing that makes Atlanta great, will bring higher costs and more traffic.

In many ways I think the Atlanta area will provide you more options in your life and would give that more thought, but you might like the bang for your buck for the experience Athens might provide you.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:32 PM

673 posts, read 831,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Quick, important question....

Are you saying you're transferring to the airport, like you are working in the airport? Or you are using the airport to fly to your work?

This will heavily impact the answer. If the latter, you really want to choose Atlanta.

Also, clarification on your budget? Is that your housing budget? housing/living expense budget? How much you make overall? pre-tax/post-tax? Does it need to reflect how much you put towards savings?

It might be better just to give your monthly housing budget for others to understand.

That aside. I lived in Athens for 7 years for college and grad school, of course I was younger. I loved that town and still love returning for a visit, both as a college student and beyond it.

The benefits Athens will have for you is you can live cheaper and closer to town and be in more unique areas for the money. The cost of living is very low there. You might like the neighborhood/living situation you can end up in better there for what you can afford. The town is very livable. The social character will be student dominated in-town and that is something you would have to get use to. You might also have fewer dating options your age, although not non-existent. There are good parks for a city that size. The State Botanical gardens are there and the college has a few amenities like the Georgia Museum of Art and it brings in small periodic street festivals that pretty much require free, student volunteers to pull off.

Problems Athens has faced is the economy isn't great outside the University, even compared to other cities its size and other college towns that same size. There are not many large employers paying higher wage jobs. The new Caterpillar plant in Bogart was probably the best thing that happened for some time. The region tends to run poorer, which has made it more affordable for students. In turn, their spending around town creates demand for restaurants, bars, shops, etc.. that would not otherwise exist. It gives you the cost of living of a poorer city, with the shopping amenities of an avg suburb thanks in part to student spending. The big problem is how much 18-25 years olds will over-run the character of Athens' most unique areas that make the town so great.

For malls.... this isn't that big of a deal, IMO. If you lived in Athens, you will drive 45 minutes west to the Mall of GA off of GA 20 via GA 316. Malls aren't really a daily need. They are more like a once a month need (or less). Gwinnett Arena also hosts concerts and is close to where GA316 hits I-85, so amenities in Gwinnett Co. are reachable to people in Athens for certain things. There is also a minor league baseball team in that same vicinity. Basically, there is Atlanta 1.5 hours away and the Atlanta region 45 minutes away. That makes some things feel closer or further apart.

Atlanta will have much more to do and a far greater variety. It will have more people your age at different socioeconomic levels and just more people from different backgrounds in general. It will have more dating options. The economy is much larger, more robust, more money and more options. In many ways you can likely find a better fit for you, even if you have initial trouble finding your niche in the region. What you won't have is the cheap cost of living really close to a town center, like you will find in Athens. The same thing that makes Atlanta great, will bring higher costs and more traffic.

In many ways I think the Atlanta area will provide you more options in your life and would give that more thought, but you might like the bang for your buck for the experience Athens might provide you.
I'd be working in the ATL airport, or Athens Airport directly. Not so much my budget but my income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or