U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:25 PM

2,767 posts, read 2,583,589 times

Advertisements

Now I need to focus all of my attention on a unified package for all of the problems with our hideous license plates. The design and inconsistencies are bad enough, but the spacing and centering of the digits is so effing bad, I wouldn't drive in another state with a new plate because I'd be embarrassed.

The font they use requires heavy manual kerning to look right, and no computer can yet do it decently. The result is that the letters and numbers don't look spaced properly to the human eye.

And the most recent blight is that that the group of letters/numbers as a whole, is clearly not centered on the plate and is placed too far left.

Changing to a more commonly used squarish typeface and/or putting the dash between the letters and numbers would solve the problems.

Then just slap the made in Georgia filming logo on a blank place without the digits on top of it, and there's a license plate you can be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:48 PM

8,776 posts, read 11,072,277 times
While you're at it...

Can you send the license plates back to the prisons so they can actually forge the numbers and letters into the metal instead of just screen printing them on, or whatever process they use?

Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 AM

2,767 posts, read 2,583,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
While you're at it...

Can you send the license plates back to the prisons so they can actually forge the numbers and letters into the metal instead of just screen printing them on, or whatever process they use?
I agree with you, however many states now use this cheaper method, and it's highly unlikely that Georgia, which doesn't go the extra mile for anything representing the state, will ever choose to make more effort and spend more for stamped letters again.

With all of the crime here, and so many instances of people printing temporary tags multiple times for years, you think that they would realize that the stamping prevents crooks from using black tape to change the letters and numbers if they were being sought.

The standard plate doesn't look like the winning design by a Roswell woman in 2012. The county strip of white eliminates the green that she had for the grass, and the gradients or screening of the pink sky was much more gradual than the chopped off look of the finished plates.

I constantly wonder what the workers are thinking as these mistake-ridden plates are made.

Of course GDOT doesn't enforce highway signs to be typeset perfectly either.

No cares here bout that sort of stuff, but all the top-tier states do.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:18 AM

5,805 posts, read 4,232,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I agree with you, however many states now use this cheaper method, and it's highly unlikely that Georgia, which doesn't go the extra mile for anything representing the state, will ever choose to make more effort and spend more for stamped letters again.
Most states have transitioned to flat characters due to cost and for easier reading by police plate scanners.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:29 AM

113 posts, read 31,351 times
I was just thinking how prettier license plates would be definitely be near the top of all of the things I would want to change in Georgia. I don't know if it would be #1 but definitely top 5.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:24 PM

5,805 posts, read 4,232,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarctic View Post
I was just thinking how prettier license plates would be definitely be near the top of all of the things I would want to change in Georgia. I don't know if it would be #1 but definitely top 5.
Chances are that'll happen anyway in the next 1-2 years (Georgia usually swaps out the plate design every 7-8 years).

Old 05-14-2020, 02:04 PM

4,756 posts, read 3,971,811 times
I hate that designed plate. I opted for a plain white with a peach.

FWIW, even Texas went to a plain old white plate

Old 05-14-2020, 03:55 PM

5,957 posts, read 4,162,696 times
My plate is a free US Army Veterans plate. I think its very attractive.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 PM

4,515 posts, read 7,645,534 times
Quote:

With all of the crime here, and so many instances of people printing temporary tags multiple times for years, you think that they would realize that the stamping prevents crooks from using black tape to change the letters and numbers if they were being sought.

The standard plate doesn't look like the winning design by a Roswell woman in 2012. The county strip of white eliminates the green that she had for the grass, and the gradients or screening of the pink sky was much more gradual than the chopped off look of the finished plates.

I constantly wonder what the workers are thinking as these mistake-ridden plates are made.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that notices this stuff. Markings on the roads and reflectors have definitely improved over the years though. Yes, we’re definitely lucky to have reflectors unlike many northern states.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,720,909 times
Quote:

I haven't seen any "Tag applied for" homemade tags lately. Maybe the cops finally cracked down on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or