U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:54 AM

45 posts, read 28,294 times

Advertisements

Brian_M - The projected growth for pharmacy over the next 10 years is 0% according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I've considered retail but as far as being picky I've not been looking hard core due to other issues and mainly because of trying to remain within the area.

bu2 - people in South Georgia are nice. Thats about the best we can ask for. I can deal with nice people.

Update - I'll be in the area the 27th-29th to do a face to face interview with them and to tour the area. We have been looking at houses on Zillow in the area near Sylvester, Tifton, and Bronwood towns. Basically I'm willing to travel 45min to an hour to get to work if it means living in a nicer / safer area. There is a possibility of telecommuting.

Now, having said that, I've grown up around the southside of Chicago and am fine going to 65th and Cottage Grove during the daytime. Bars on the windows, bullet proof glass that they pass your food through.

Culturally we like small town / country living and pretty much being left alone and keeping to ourselves. The ability to make a few close friends and finding a church we can call home. Also finding childcare we can trust. As far as schools, private school is fine but the tuition up here makes it near impossible.

The tuition for the private schools (Kindergarten through 5th grade) up here:
Judah Christian - $6,794 per year
Next Generation - $14,000 per year
Countryside - $14,960 + $475 supply fee
Holy Cross - $6,600 per year

What are the people like? Friendly ? Open minded? Democratic or Republican? I noticed the county voted democratic the last 5 presidential elections but thought GA was a Republican state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 11:17 AM

1,137 posts, read 273,585 times
People have been beating around the bush about "All Ban E". It is one of those southern cities mostly populated by an ex-agricultural group of people--farm hands and workers. It's a low income, low education place for the most part.

And Albany's not one of those places that's very desirable as a place to live.

If you're willing to drive a distance to work, Tifton, Valdosta or Thomasville would be preferable societies.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:49 AM
bu2

10,993 posts, read 7,328,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
Brian_M - The projected growth for pharmacy over the next 10 years is 0% according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I've considered retail but as far as being picky I've not been looking hard core due to other issues and mainly because of trying to remain within the area.

bu2 - people in South Georgia are nice. Thats about the best we can ask for. I can deal with nice people.

Update - I'll be in the area the 27th-29th to do a face to face interview with them and to tour the area. We have been looking at houses on Zillow in the area near Sylvester, Tifton, and Bronwood towns. Basically I'm willing to travel 45min to an hour to get to work if it means living in a nicer / safer area. There is a possibility of telecommuting.

Now, having said that, I've grown up around the southside of Chicago and am fine going to 65th and Cottage Grove during the daytime. Bars on the windows, bullet proof glass that they pass your food through.

Culturally we like small town / country living and pretty much being left alone and keeping to ourselves. The ability to make a few close friends and finding a church we can call home. Also finding childcare we can trust. As far as schools, private school is fine but the tuition up here makes it near impossible.

The tuition for the private schools (Kindergarten through 5th grade) up here:
Judah Christian - $6,794 per year
Next Generation - $14,000 per year
Countryside - $14,960 + $475 supply fee
Holy Cross - $6,600 per year

What are the people like? Friendly ? Open minded? Democratic or Republican? I noticed the county voted democratic the last 5 presidential elections but thought GA was a Republican state?
If you are looking at Sylvester and Tifton, you might want to look at Pelham. Its got its own school system. Not a great system, but better than some of the others in the area. Moultrie is a really nice town, but its about 40 miles.

People are pretty friendly. In South Georgia, White people tend to be Republicans. Black people tend to be Democratic.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:52 AM
bu2

10,993 posts, read 7,328,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
People have been beating around the bush about "All Ban E". It is one of those southern cities mostly populated by an ex-agricultural group of people--farm hands and workers. It's a low income, low education place for the most part.

And Albany's not one of those places that's very desirable as a place to live.

If you're willing to drive a distance to work, Tifton, Valdosta or Thomasville would be preferable societies.
If I had to live in a town in South Georgia, it would be Thomasville with Moultrie 2nd. But Thomasville is about 60 miles from Albany. Valdosta is way too far away.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:29 PM

5,957 posts, read 4,162,696 times
I don’t have any current experience regarding living in Albany, but I did live there way back in 1965 and we loved living there. But I like hot weather, mild winters, flat land , Pine trees, sandy soil and boiled peanuts. I can think of a lot worse places to live.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:47 AM

So we've been researching, researching, researching. The position is in Albany with Phoebe Putney. So far we've found some homes we like in Bronwood, Leesburg, and Sylvester. We're also looking around Tifton, Moultrie, and Thomasville which are further out but doable.

Also a little concerned about racism and being white in a predominately African American area. Politically we will fit in as we vote Democratic as did the county. I'm a pharmacist and my wife is a nurse, so financially we will be in the higher income brackets for the area.

We are good people, tend to keep to ourselves. As long as someone is friendly then we can pretty much get along regardless. We still belong to the shrinking group of people that still believe we can disagree but still get along and work together.

Whats the weather / geography like? Midwest tends to be really humid and have like 2 weeks of spring and fall. Currently surrounded by cornfields that are flat as far as the eye can see. Really would like greener / wooded areas better. How often are we likely to run into snakes / alligators/ bugs? Is it cloudy or sunny? Rain often?

What about Hurricanes and Tornadoes? We live in an area prone to Tornadoes. We noticed that not many homes down there dont have a basement, which is unheard of here.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 PM

547 posts, read 583,584 times
People will be friendly, especially if you attend a church.
Racism is not NEARLY the issue that it is in Champaign, IL.

You WILL be a "minority" amongst most white residents if you proclaim yourself to be a Democrat. I have found that the "don't ask, don't tell" policy works best down here for politics, especially when you are new to the area. Expect to see a lot of MAGA stuff, as well as some Confederate flags.
That being said, I am a fairly liberal, non-MAGA supporter who LOVES living in the "deep South". I much, much prefer it to Illinois. But it does take some adapting.

It is usually pretty humid from May thru October. I thought that the humidity in Illinois was worse, but it was for a much shorter time. Georgia is lush and green and much less "flat" than Illinois. There are so many beautiful trees.

I will be interested to hear what your opinions are after you come down for your visit

Old 05-18-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Racism is not NEARLY the issue that it is in Champaign, IL.
Good, cause don’t think it’s that bad here, at least not compared to a lot of other areas.

Already trying to to teach my wife to bite her tongue and nod your head and be polite when it comes to politics. Lol. She can be quite outspoken.

We’ve seen some gorgeous landscapes while browsing Zillow for houses. One thing that has me a bit confused is a lot of people / web sites paint Albany as a crap hole, but looking last night and there are some rather expensive homes / neighborhoods? Even gated communities, which is not something that’s associated with high crime rates, at least not up here.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:54 PM

179 posts, read 97,259 times
Quote:
Good, cause don’t think it’s that bad here, at least not compared to a lot of other areas.

Already trying to to teach my wife to bite her tongue and nod your head and be polite when it comes to politics. Lol. She can be quite outspoken.

We’ve seen some gorgeous landscapes while browsing Zillow for houses. One thing that has me a bit confused is a lot of people / web sites paint Albany as a crap hole, but looking last night and there are some rather expensive homes / neighborhoods? Even gated communities, which is not something that’s associated with high crime rates, at least not up here.
Albany is like your stereotypical “has seen better days”, working class, small town America kind of place but those homes you mention are where the few college educated professionals in the area live and if i’m not mistaken the kids of the residents there largely go to private school and move to Metro Atlanta for/after college.

Keep in mind that the Democratic Party isn’t really socially liberal in that part of the state like the party would be in a real city. Partisanship is pretty much entirely among racial lines in small town Georgia and both parties are deeply culturally and socially conservative.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:38 AM

368 posts, read 158,138 times
Quote:
The position is in Albany with Phoebe Putney.
NOnonononononononono!!!!!!!!

PP is the EPICENTER of the Covid-19 outbreak in SWGA! Do a Google search to verify. More people have contracted/died from the virus there than any other single place in GA, possibly the Southeast! Do you want to be part of that?

As for being a white democrat, I would keep that to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or