U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 PM
 
45 posts, read 28,294 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

I'm in the late interview process for a position in Albany, GA. We currently live in Champaign, IL and are originally from the Chicago area. What is it like in the Albany area? The research I can see mentions an elevated rate of crime including violent crime.

We are a family of 4 with a 4 and 6 year old. Are there safe / good areas within 30-45 minutes of Albany? What are the schools in the area like?

With unemployment the way it is, I've been out of work since July last year, so the opportunity to actually have a job is pretty attractive, but not if it means risking the safety of my family.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2020, 03:32 PM
 
5,104 posts, read 1,944,191 times
Reputation: 3634
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly attracted you to Albany?

I hear you about the unemployment situation, but there are a ton of other places across the country that would come to mind for job opportunities before Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 04:03 PM
 
45 posts, read 28,294 times
Reputation: 39
Yes. It’s the first serious job opportunity I’ve had. It’s also as an informatics pharmacist full time which is something I’ve been trying to get into for several years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 04:05 PM
 
5,104 posts, read 1,944,191 times
Reputation: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
Yes. It’s the first serious job opportunity I’ve had. It’s also as an informatics pharmacist full time which is something I’ve been trying to get into for several years now.
Well good luck! I hope this position works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM
 
547 posts, read 583,584 times
Reputation: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
I'm in the late interview process for a position in Albany, GA. We currently live in Champaign, IL and are originally from the Chicago area. What is it like in the Albany area? The research I can see mentions an elevated rate of crime including violent crime.

We are a family of 4 with a 4 and 6 year old. Are there safe / good areas within 30-45 minutes of Albany? What are the schools in the area like?

With unemployment the way it is, I've been out of work since July last year, so the opportunity to actually have a job is pretty attractive, but not if it means risking the safety of my family.

Thanks!
I'm originally from Champaign, IL and most of my family still lives there. I'm now in north Florida, about 25 miles south of Thomasville, GA.

There are good and bad areas of Albany, just like there are in Champaign. My best friend's sister has lived there for over 30 years and has no concerns. Do your research, check out school ratings. Education in the south is very different from education in central Illinois, as a general rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 04:42 PM
 
45 posts, read 28,294 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Education in the south is very different from education in central Illinois, as a general rule
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 04:56 PM
 
547 posts, read 583,584 times
Reputation: 644
It's been 20 years since my kids were in school here in rural north Florida, so I probably have no idea of how things are now. My perception is that quality education is not as much of a priority in the south in general, as it was in Illinois. I could be very wrong, but I stand by my advice to check out the school ratings when choosing where to live, unless you plan to homeschool or send your kids to private school

My friend's sister homeschooled her 3 kids in Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,269 posts, read 10,069,184 times
Reputation: 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
It's been 20 years since my kids were in school here in rural north Florida, so I probably have no idea of how things are now. My perception is that quality education is not as much of a priority in the south in general, as it was in Illinois. I could be very wrong, but I stand by my advice to check out the school ratings when choosing where to live, unless you plan to homeschool or send your kids to private school

My friend's sister homeschooled her 3 kids in Albany.
I grew up in the Albany area and many of my family live there. The school system is mediocre at best (my sister taught public elementary school for 30 years and sent her kids to the local private school, Deerfield-Windsor - that should tell you a bit). Plenty of folks who live in Albany love it. I would look for housing in Lee County (Leesburg) next door to Albany. Otherwise, west Albany is likely the nicer of the intown areas.

Best of luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 07:46 AM
 
4,697 posts, read 8,027,426 times
Reputation: 14678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
With unemployment the way it is, I've been out of work since July last year...



Cripes, is the pharmacy profession THAT bad now? I knew it got bad about a decade ago when the market was flooded at the exact time the last Recession was going on, but a year? Or have you been picky, no retail, no staff clinical, turning down anything with on-call or weekends? I'm interested because that's my wifes profession and she's hitting the limit of tolerance with her current job and we're both about sick to death of Georgia racial/political tensions, thankfully we don't have kids else we wouldn't be in GA due to the education system.



Can't help with Albany, have only been in the area a couple times. My perception of it is as an area to avoid though, and I live near Columbus (exceedingly high crime and terrible public education all its own). At least it's stupid cheap to buy property... I mean, a 1500sq/ft 3/1 for $20k? Probably a Terrible area and in need of a full renovation, but a house for the cost of a base model Honda civic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 10:09 AM
bu2
 
10,993 posts, read 7,328,921 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
I'm in the late interview process for a position in Albany, GA. We currently live in Champaign, IL and are originally from the Chicago area. What is it like in the Albany area? The research I can see mentions an elevated rate of crime including violent crime.

We are a family of 4 with a 4 and 6 year old. Are there safe / good areas within 30-45 minutes of Albany? What are the schools in the area like?

With unemployment the way it is, I've been out of work since July last year, so the opportunity to actually have a job is pretty attractive, but not if it means risking the safety of my family.

Thanks!
Schools generally not very good but there are a number of private schools.

Crime has gone up. But as someone else said, there are nice areas of Albany.

Sounds like the job opportunity is good. If you don't like Albany, you will have a better opportunity to find another job after a couple years in that one. And the people in South Georgia are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top