U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 12:09 PM

4,626 posts, read 6,516,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Kemp isn't on a ballot until 2022. Kemp could also cure Covid-19 tomorrow and that isn't likely to change anybody's opinion on the matter one way or the other. So far, reopening Georgia hasn't been the disaster many predicted (like you did) or wished it would for partisan reasons. You can ignore the numbers all you want but it won't change reality. At this point you are so dug in on this issue I guess its impossible for you to admit it. That's your problem not mine or anyone else's.
Exactly. We are almost a month in and the numbers have in no way reflected the catastrophe predicted. They have actually improved. Even the Atlanta mayor admitted it. The opposing view wants complete dismal failure to prove a point (more deaths, unemployment, businesses going bankrupt, etc).

Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,730,712 times
Quote:
Kemp isn't on a ballot until 2022.
How one politician performs affects how citizens view similar politicians.

Quote:
Kemp could also cure Covid-19 tomorrow and that isn't likely to change anybody's opinion on the matter one way or the other.
You know that isn't going to happen, seeing our ridiculously slow decrease in new numbers of cases per day.

Quote:
So far, reopening Georgia hasn't been the disaster many predicted (like you did) or wished it would for partisan reasons. You can ignore the numbers all you want but it won't change reality. At this point you are so dug in on this issue I guess its impossible for you to admit it. That's your problem not mine or anyone else's.
Tell that to folks in Albany. Or in Hall county. Or in our latest hotspot, Hancock County.

The coronavirus is not on the way out, no matter how much you insist otherwise.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:38 PM

1,338 posts, read 544,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
How one politician performs affects how citizens view similar politicians.

You know that isn't going to happen, seeing our ridiculously slow decrease in new numbers of cases per day.

Tell that to folks in Albany. Or in Hall county. Or in our latest hotspot, Hancock County.

The coronavirus is not on the way out, no matter how much you insist otherwise.

Of course there are going to be more cases with more testing. There is also going to be more cases of people having the antibody as well from those tests increasing. What matters is hospitalizations you know what we have been talking about from the beginning so hospitals aren't overwhelmed? Do you remember that talking point? Those numbers are down 34% since May 1st. It's now May 20th not March 1st and hospitals in Georgia are not overwhelmed with death. You said they would be. Hasn't happened.

Quote:
It's pure recklessness. By reopening too quickly like this, many more people will die, and we're going to have to take protective measures for even longer.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Of course there are going to be more cases with more testing.
No, there will be more confirmed cases with testing. Big difference.

Quote:
There is also going to be more cases of people having the antibody as well from those tests increasing.
Testing gives people antibodies???

Quote:
What matters is hospitalizations you know what we have been talking about from the beginning so hospitals aren't overwhelmed? Do you remember that talking point? Those numbers are down 34% since May 1st. It's now May 20th not March 1st and hospitals in Georgia are not overwhelmed with death. You said they would be. Hasn't happened.
1. As has been explained to you multiple times, the rate of decrease in the number of new infections should have been greater by now. Hasn't happened. That rate remains stubbornly high. And no, more testing cannot explain this, no matter how much you insist otherwise.

2. Should we reopen everything while the pandemic is still active, knowing that more people will get sick and die?

Old 05-20-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:

1. As has been explained to you multiple times, the rate of decrease in the number of new infections should have been greater by now. Hasn't happened. That rate remains stubbornly high. And no, more testing cannot explain this, no matter how much you insist otherwise.

2. Should we reopen everything while the pandemic is still active, knowing that more people will get sick and die?

Do you even understand what the antibody testing even is? Many people have already had this virus and didn't even know it. That is what the antibody test shows. Why am I even discussing this with you at this point if you don't even know what that is?

The state has been opened up for weeks now in a staggered method and there hasn't been mass hospitalizations or deaths like you said there would.

Georgia succeeding so far challenges your biased narrative that you so desperately wanted to happen. It challenges your biased opinions and now you are scrambling to try and find a boogeyman to explain your ridiculous assumption that has been proven false by the statistics and data we have since May 1st. Even Keisha Lance Bottoms disagrees with you

Quote:
It's pure recklessness. By reopening too quickly like this, many more people will die, and we're going to have to take protective measures for even longer.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Testing gives people antibodies? Seriously? You know exactly what this poster is saying. If not, I’ll be happy to clarify. As we do more testing, (I currently work in the arena), we will find more and more people with antibodies. This means that way more people had it, got over it and were perfectly fine. This lowers the mortality rate significantly.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Testing gives people antibodies? Seriously? You know exactly what this poster is saying. If not, I’ll be happy to clarify. As we do more testing, (I currently work in the arena), we will find more and more people with antibodies. This means that way more people had it, got over it and were perfectly fine. This lowers the mortality rate significantly.

It's almost like this was written directly for people like "toll booth". "toll booth" has no clue what they are even discussing at this point as evidenced by not knowing what the antibody test is or what it shows.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
It's almost like this was written directly for people like "toll booth". "toll booth" has no clue what they are even discussing at this point as evidenced by not knowing what the antibody test is or what it shows.

Agreed. You can’t reason with someone like this.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,563,417 times
Default Brian Kemp's approval rating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I can't disagree with your statement. In addition to transparency we also need accountability. Mistakes happen but should never be viewed as being acceptable.

This was also a well-balanced article in the link that you shared, thank you. Too many others I've seen (and has been alluded here by some posters) take a position that it's some sort of massive conspiracy to support Kemp's agenda. The AJC and other media - as well as the citizens of Georgia - have been looking at the data for weeks, so if something appears out of order it's hardly easy to hide, and they will call it out. I suspect (but can't obviously prove - nobody can either way) that it's more due to people being overworked/underskilled than malice. I do appreciate that the media is looking at this closely and ensuring accuracy because you can't make good data-driven decisions with bad data.

I've been tracking the # of cases in North Fulton (Alpharetta, Milton). It's not very many as a total of Fulton's population. But then again I see many people wearing masks and being careful when going out. The fact that many restaurants aren't choosing to open yet for inside dining shows that there is a high degree of personal caution and responsibility on behalf of the owners and the customers.

The preliminary data shows a continued slow decline in Georgia. I agree with the linked article and many others that it is still too late to claim any sort of "victory", nor should be one be claimed at all, even if the virus was to go away quickly. There are no winners here. But if we can keep virus transmissibility under that key 1 value the pandemic will continue to decline and fade away. Going back to the original goal - flattening the curve - there are no signs in any model I've seen that shows that Georgia hospitals and ICUs are now at risk of being overwhelmed. This of course could change if people return to "business as usual" - which I don't see happening, at least with responsible adults who use good personal judgement.

Thank you for your reasonable response to my post markjames68and the link I included therein. From GPB, it was well-balanced &, via careful attention to detail, it revealed a major part of the reasoning behind the utter frustration that so many Georgians are feeling when they try to decipher the state-provided figures so as to assess what is actually occurring in our state as regards the Covid 19 outbreak.

And, although another poster directly claimed that I was saying that the data was being skewed with the intent to deflate the actual numbers so as to make them look better, I have been very careful to never say or infer such a thing. A CAREFUL REVIEW OF MY POSTS will reveal that I've only questioned their reliability and accuracy.

As the link from GPB indicated, the data is in question for good reason. And that is a reflection on our state administration.

This far along in this crisis, we should all be at the point where we agree that:
Bad. Or. Unreliable. Data. Is. Not. Acceptable. Period.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Do you even understand what the antibody testing even is? Many people have already had this virus and didn't even know it. That is what the antibody test shows. Why am I even discussing this with you at this point if you don't even know what that is?
Here is what you said:

Quote:
Of course there are going to be more cases with more testing. There is also going to be more cases of people having the antibody as well from those tests increasing.
You claimed that an increase in testing leads to an increase in the number of people who have antibodies. Did you mean a number of people known to have antibodies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or