U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 1,272 times

Advertisements

I'm from the northeast and have a job offer for a workplace which is located in Brunswick. Major current news issues aside, what is it like for a 30-something single with no kids? How is dating there (pre-COVID)?

I've read a lot about crime but those posts were pretty old and I'm wondering how things are now in 2020 (major news aside). I live just outside a largish city and we all know to stay away from certain areas but it's really safe in the suburbs. Is it like this around Brunswick or are the lines between safe and unsafe pretty blurred?

Lastly, I am used to living in upscale apartment complexes. I know Brunswick has the complexes but are they in safe areas? I can't afford St. Simon right now but am interested in knowing about other safe and nice areas maybe 20-30 min commute or closer to Brunswick. Appreciate any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 AM

9,986 posts, read 5,096,902 times
I have family that lives in the general area and I personally wouldn’t recommend it. Having said this, it has improved there over the past 10 years.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/mornin...ording-to-fbi/

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...k-Georgia.html

Maybe take a look at Kingsland.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 AM

12,976 posts, read 3,737,209 times
A lot of drugs there but considering FLETC is there (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) there are a lot of cops there too. Biggest problem I had with Brunswick is the smell of the paper mill permeating the town.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 AM

5,101 posts, read 1,944,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyshyshy View Post
I'm from the northeast and have a job offer for a workplace which is located in Brunswick. Major current news issues aside, what is it like for a 30-something single with no kids? How is dating there (pre-COVID)?

I've read a lot about crime but those posts were pretty old and I'm wondering how things are now in 2020 (major news aside). I live just outside a largish city and we all know to stay away from certain areas but it's really safe in the suburbs. Is it like this around Brunswick or are the lines between safe and unsafe pretty blurred?

Lastly, I am used to living in upscale apartment complexes. I know Brunswick has the complexes but are they in safe areas? I can't afford St. Simon right now but am interested in knowing about other safe and nice areas maybe 20-30 min commute or closer to Brunswick. Appreciate any help.
Unless this job is paying something like 6-figures, I wouldn't do it. You'll regret this move every day you're stuck in Brunswick, as you'll dealing with a massive culture shock and a dearth of career opportunities / amenities.

I'm sure it's a fine town for certain type of people, but definitely not someone who's relatively young, single, ambitious and doesn't have kids.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-22-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Are you from a big city in the Northeast by chance?

Unless this job is paying something like 6-figures, I wouldn't do it. You'll regret this move every day you're stuck in Brunswick, as you'll dealing with a massive culture shock and a dearth of career opportunities / amenities.

I'm sure it's a fine town for certain type of people, but definitely not someone who's relatively young, single, ambitious and doesn't have kids.
I live in Rochester and like it, but the climate gets to me and my job isn't so safe after peak COVID so I was looking into other places. I definitely do not want to move somewhere unsafe or where I'm going to hit rock bottom as a single too.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I live in Rochester and like it, but the climate gets to me and my job isn't so safe after peak COVID so I was looking into other places. I definitely do not want to move somewhere unsafe or where I'm going to hit rock bottom as a single too.
Rochester is a party town compared to Brunswick. Another option - and only if you're ok with driving a big commute each day - is to live closer to Jacksonville and then look for a new job in Jax. That would be a much better place for a single person than Brunswick.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Got it.

I'm also relatively young, single and have no kids. I'm originally from up north myself (Detroit) and relocated to Georgia for work, so I get it as far as the cold/snow and gloomy winters. However, while things may not be perfect for you in Rochester now, you don't want to leave it for a worse situation. You're going to be leaving a metro of over 1 million people for a metro with only just over 100,000 people.

What I will say if it you're really desperate for this job opportunity, accept it. But if I were in your position and I had the option to hold out for a better opportunity, I would do so and aggressively look into larger metros across the South if better weather is what you seek.

I live in a small town that, while it has grown into a bedroom community of Atlanta, is still ostracized socially by much of Metro Atlanta. Other than Delta (which is impossible to get hired into), the job opportunities for someone like me (a college-educated professional) are close to non-existent. And if you're not an "active adult" or a couple with kids, it's extremely difficult meeting new people since everyone who have lived here their entire life already has close knit social circles. Plus, with it being a bedroom community, it always gets passed over for decent restaurants / stores (and if those stores / restaurants ever do come, we're always the last place to get them). I really can't imagine things being any better in Brunswick.

Now don't get me wrong, the people where I live are extremely nice / well-mannered and I love the weather, and I will never dislike this place enough to move back to Detroit. That being said, there are perks I miss about being in the heart of a large city/metro area (easier to meet new people, more amenities, diversity, relatively more job opportunities, etc.).

Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 AM

Thanks for all these answers. I had a feeling it might not be for me (no offense to residents) but had to ask these questions anyway. I am more liberal minded and like cultural diversity (which we get a lot of from the University of Rochester). So I have a hunch I am not a 'deep south' kind of gal.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Rochester is a party town compared to Brunswick. Another option - and only if you're ok with driving a big commute each day - is to live closer to Jacksonville and then look for a new job in Jax. That would be a much better place for a single person than Brunswick.
That's a 70 mile, 1 hour drive each way every day. Been there, done that.

^^^I would say think long and hard about this as well. For starters, after making that long drive, you're going to be too tired to want to do anything. Furthermore, unless the job pays really well, all of your money is going to go into expenses for upkeep of your car and gas.

And with the state of the economy right now, I wouldn't bet on being able to find a job in Jacksonville right away.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-22-2020 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all these answers. I had a feeling it might not be for me (no offense to residents) but had to ask these questions anyway. I am more liberal minded and like cultural diversity (which we get a lot of from the University of Rochester). So I have a hunch I am not a 'deep south' kind of gal.
Atlanta proper might be a better fit for you than Brunswick. But using the label “Deep South” is about as appropriate as saying “New Yorker” for anyone living in NY. As I’m sure you are aware there is a big variation across the Empire State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or