U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 07:55 PM

4,617 posts, read 6,502,154 times

Advertisements

Just like I predicted. Georgia did the right thing.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ic-study-finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,125,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post

I'll be curious to see what South Carolina's recovery looks like. Our death rate is about half of Georgia's. Grant it some parts of our state will rebound quicker than others. Some counties were struggling pre-COVID anyways, but still Myrtle Beach was rocking and rolling over the memorial day weekend haha.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:00 AM

5,845 posts, read 4,720,909 times
Quote:

Sorry, Fox "News" is not a reliable source. Care to post a source that is actually reliable?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Sorry, Fox "News" is not a reliable source. Care to post a source that is actually reliable?
The study was independent of Fox so it’s reliable. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I'll be curious to see what South Carolina's recovery looks like. Our death rate is about half of Georgia's. Grant it some parts of our state will rebound quicker than others. Some counties were struggling pre-COVID anyways, but still Myrtle Beach was rocking and rolling over the memorial day weekend haha.
I would imagine it will start to pick up as well. Demand increases a little each day as more things open. Hope you guys have a swift recovery as well.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 AM

3,612 posts, read 3,555,156 times
At this point in time is far too early to be celebrating a returning economy. By the later part of summer we will have much more reliable info to go on so as to understand whether any such trends that may be occurring actually are long -lasting or have staying power.

It should also be pointed out that at this point in time, the map I saw on tv yesterday showed that the states with the fastest percentage increases currently happening in case numbers are Southern states.

Get back to me after we've seen this pandemic play out a bit longer before one goes around stating that so and so "..did the right thing." or "Just like I predicted."

I worked in the financial planning industry for over 30 years. in that field the long term perspective was always advocated. That same principle can and should be applied to our views in numerous other factors.

Last edited by atler8; 05-29-2020 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: removed extra lines

Old 05-29-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
The study was independent of Fox so it’s reliable. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.
91-DIVOC : Flip the script on COVID-19

Mississippi's daily cases continue to rise.
Alabama's have recently surged.
Ours have stagnated.
After weeks of recovering, Florida's have stagnated.
South Carolina's are increasing again.

Meanwhile, remember how New York state used to be in horrible shape? Their life-saving measures are getting the coronavirus there under control. So is Rhode Island. Oregon remains one of the least infected in the country.

Southern states have chosen to paint themselves into the corner. They have forced themselves into a false choice between human sacrifice and the economy. They are going to have to shut down again unless they want even more lives lost to this brutal disease.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:36 AM

9,988 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
91-DIVOC : Flip the script on COVID-19

Mississippi's daily cases continue to rise.
Alabama's have recently surged.
Ours have stagnated.
After weeks of recovering, Florida's have stagnated.
South Carolina's are increasing again.

Meanwhile, remember how New York state used to be in horrible shape? Their life-saving measures are getting the coronavirus there under control. So is Rhode Island. Oregon remains one of the least infected in the country.

Southern states have chosen to paint themselves into the corner. They have forced themselves into a false choice between human sacrifice and the economy. They are going to have to shut down again unless they want even more lives lost to this brutal disease.
NY's daily new case number is 1,768. Georgia's is 617 (both May 28 numbers, the most current).

So NY is STILL almost 3x GA with 2x the population. They have to decrease another 1/3 to hit GA's numbers WHILE STILL SHUT DOWN. NY has just started to reopen in areas like Long Island (Phase 1, which involves many businesses that never closed in GA). No New York area is beyond Phase 1 yet. So nobody gets a haircut, nails done, goes to a restaurant, etc. NYC is STILL shut down and will be for weeks. GA has been reopening for over a month.

It's not that Southern states are painting themselves in a corner. It's that NY was so bad that their "life-saving measures" were necessary. And given their new infection rate STILL being worse than Georgia's it's hardly getting under control.

Now that NY is reopening, will their numbers continue to drop or will they remain about the same, which is still 1.5x GA's per capita average? Or will it grow, just as Georgia's did a bit after re-opening?

If you're going to compare you need to consider the entire picture.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
At this point in time is far too early to be celebrating a returning economy. By the later part of summer we will have much more reliable info to go on so as to understand whether any such trends that may be occurring actually are long -lasting or have staying power.

It should also be pointed out that at this point in time, the map I saw on tv yesterday showed that the states with the fastest percentage increases currently happening in case numbers are Southern states.

Get back to me after we've seen this pandemic play out a bit longer before one goes around stating that so and so "..did the right thing." or "Just like I predicted."

I worked in the financial planning industry for over 30 years. in that field the long term perspective was always advocated. That same principle can and should be applied to our views in numerous other factors.
Some people want to get back into the water while Jaws is still in there.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
NY's daily new case number is 1,768. Georgia's is 617 (both May 28 numbers, the most current).
Go back and look at the graph and notice that it was per capita. Your argument is invalid.

Quote:
So NY is STILL almost 3x GA with 2x the population. They have to decrease another 1/3 to hit GA's numbers WHILE OPEN. NY has just started to reopen in areas like Long Island (Phase 1, which involves many businesses that never closed in GA). No New York area is beyond Phase 1 yet. So nobody gets a haircut, nails done, goes to a restaurant, etc. NYC is STILL shut down. GA has been reopening for over a month.
And hotspots have crept up. Kemp has taken away local governments' power to shut down in those emergency situations and save human lives.

Quote:
It's not that Southern states are painting themselves in a corner. It's that NY was so bad that their "life-saving measures" were necessary. And given their new infection rate being worse than Georgia's it's hardly getting under control.
As I said, Mississippi continues to get worse, Alabama continues to get worse, South Carolina continues to get worse, and we have stagnated.

These states are probably going to have to shut down again or continue their escalation of human sacrifice.

Quote:
Now that NY is reopening, will their numbers continue to drop or will they remain about the same, which is still 1.5x GA's per capita average? Or will it grow, just as Georgia's did a bit after re-opening?
They may be reopening too soon. Many nations around the world showed exactly how to kill off this virus. Ours is not one of them.

Quote:
If you're going to compare you need to consider the entire picture.
Might I recommend leading by example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or