Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,042 times

Advertisements

Acknowledging that there are residual effects in attidues and perceptions and feelings because of a group of people being treated terribly in the past has nothing to do with silly reparations. No one here brought anything up about reparations.

And sorry I don't watch Hannity. As to the situation you describe with that professor -- sounds totally idiotic to me and ridiculous. But hey there are some real nutcases out there of all races. I think the KKK and the neo-nazi groups are perfect examples of white nutcases and very dangerous ones too. So spare me the hyperbole of if some white guy said something blah blah. White people have been saying terrible and racists things for the last 300 years and some still do unfortunately.

BTW, again mischaracterization and non-understanding of statistics. Black on black crime is higher than black on white crime, so by that black people should be MORE scared to live in black neighborhoods [sic]. Also 99.9% of all these crazy suburban shootings are by white boys -- yes in these supposedly great suburban safe neighborhoods. Hmmm..... and hey the vast majority of serial killers are white too. Well? Anyone looking at those kinds of numbers and saying I don't want to live in a white neighborhood because white males are more likely to be serial killers? Anyone getting the point yet?

Quote:
Here are some violent crime stats from the Bureau of Justice:

In 2005--

-Per every 1,000 persons in that racial group, 27 blacks, 20 whites and 14 persons of other races sustained a violent crime.

-Black and white persons experienced similar rates of simple assault.

-Black, white, and other races experienced about the same rates of rape/sexual assault.

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports, in 2005 about 49% of murder victims were white, 49% were black, and 3% were Asians, Pacific Islander, and Native Americans.

Blacks were more likely than whites to be victimized by a carjacking (3 versus 1 per 10,000 respectively) 1993-2002.

Between 1992-2001, American Indians experienced violence at rates more than twice that of blacks, 2 1/2 times that of whites, and 4 1/2 times that of Asian.
BTW, since 1994, violent crime rates have declined, reaching the lowest level ever in 2005, again according the Bureau of Justice Stats.

Also more violent crime occurred in the West and the Midwest than it did in the South and the Northeast so everyone should be moving to the South and the Northeast.

And of course more violent crime occurs in urban areas which is about more people being in close proximity and more opportunity, not about race. So I guess people really super concerned about the small variations in urban, suburban and rural crime should be living in the sticks by themselves.

In 2005--
-Six urban residents, four suburban residents and four rural residents per 1,000 were victims of an aggravated assault.

-Suburban and rural residents were victims of violence other than rape/sexual assault at similar rates during 2005.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM
LLD

No what is being ignored is the higher correlation with poverty as I've already stated. And you missed the point of me saying black on black crime was higher. But I have this feeling that no matter what I say it isn't going to make you see a different perspective. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

I've demonstrated more than once how statistics are misinterpreted and mischaracterized. This will continue because people let their bias get in the way. Just like research results in science get misinterpreted all the time in popular media.

I don't disagree that people, regardless of race or ethnicity, want to feel safe and comfortable. Everyone agrees with that. The issues are really why people develop the feelings they do about race and crime and how that translates into their behavior on choosing where to live and how they too often perpetuate negative racial stereotypes that aren't true. And I don't mean just white against black, I mean any group against any group although of course racism towards blacks from whites has been huge in the history of this country and we still have some of it with us.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
LLD

The suburban school shootings we have had in recent years Ann, like Columbine, are what I'm talking about. Not drive-by shootings in cities. Those were all white boys.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM

14 posts, read 44,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
No what is being ignored is the higher correlation with poverty as I've already stated. And you missed the point of me saying black on black crime was higher.
Black on black crime is irrelevant to my point about the safety (or lack thereof) of living in high crime areas and I pointed that out earlier. I don’t like the idea of anyone being killed or hurt no matter what their race.

And if poverty is correlated with crime that doesn’t change the crime statistics and the fact that you are less safe living in a predominantly non-white city.

We could get into an entire discussion about the behavior that leads to poverty and the majority of it that is self-determined but like most discussions of this nature it would solve nothing. People want to blame others for their problems and until that changes, things will continue to go along as before.

As they say facts are stubborn things and all the efforts to gloss over the truth and the implications of them will not solve the problem. But as you said we are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
You've seem to have at your quick and easy reference, "documentation" of crimes by coloreds and mexicans. Have you "documentation" of such crimes committed by whites, i.e., bank robberies, pedophilia, serial killing?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2007 View Post
People want to blame others for their problems and until that changes, things will continue to go along as before.
Really. And who do you blame from crime, poverty, illiteracy, illegitimacy, immigration, etc.?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 AM
LLD

I'm talking about perceptions and who does what kinds of crimes etc. and who are victims of those crimes and so forth. That is what I mean about understanding the statistics. Anyone can quote you totals or rates but with out context people develop all kinds of incorrect perceptions.

What I'm saying is that people have this perception of "blacks committing all the crime" which isn't true. There are different breakdowns in different kinds of crimes also -- like most serial killers being white males.

So I could say well we don't have as many serial killers as we do say burgalaries -- well yes... but they are still some of the worst crimes where multiple people get killed and that is also the case with the Columbine like shootings that have happened too.

We have way more burglaries than murders too but we still worry about murders because they are worse than burglaries.

The point is people have in there head this picture of a black guy as the standard criminal -- well the kids doing the Columbine type activities are all white boys but we never really heard that played up on the news. I can guarantee if they had been all blacks or all latinos we would have. So people see a black kid and worry they are a criminal because they think blacks commit most of the crime. Somehow though we haven't developed as a society this picture in our head about worrying about whehter some random white guy on the street is a serial killer -- even though overwhelmingly serial killers are white.

I'm talking about perceptions and the way people think which is directly related to what they are taught about groups of people different from them and how our media reports things and how stats get mischaracterizied, misunderstood and misinterpreted.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,658 times
I`m sure you did miss the story on the NC State professor...it was a black guy saying all whites should die....Nobody is going to report on that...why would they? So that Sharpton and Jackson can spin it?
As far as the KKK and neo Nazi groups go..those nutjobs have been around a long time...and will be around for a good while longer. BUT when the Klan does something or were to say something like that at a NATIONAL ASSOCIATION meeting, it would be reported EVERYWHERE and people would be SCREAMING for something to be done... There is a HUGE double standard and if you cant see that, then I`ll just lump you in with those white idiots who attend Farrahkan rallies to hear him call them devils and then they cheer about it.....LOL

Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,658 times
And another thing...Look how "white guilt" has played out...for example, Rodney King goes out and gets trashed....gets pulled over and doesnt comply....he gets his ass whipped....AND HE SHOULD HAVE....and because he is black, he get millions...BUT that poor white guy in the big truck....he gets snatched out of his truck by a bunch of cowardly thugs, gets bashed in the head with bricks and beated to hell...what happens? How much did he get??
Nada....
I`m just not gonna pacify someone because they are black. I was booking a guy in once and he started his little sob story about how he grew up with a single mother and how she was a tramp and never home and how he never knew his daddy and how he messed up and dropped out of school and started working in construction then he hurt his knee so he was "slingin" drugs because thats all he knew to do to make money...I slammed his stupid behind back in the chair and asked him did he realize he just told me MY life story...only I chose to get a real job....Excuses, excuses, excuses....Keep throwing them out there...bottom line is every excuse you and Backfist have given is nothing more than a crutch. Tell Colin Powell success isnt available to the black man...tell Sean Combs you cant do...tell James Brown or Bill Cosby....

Old 01-04-2007, 10:24 AM
LLD

Quote:
There is a HUGE double standard and if you cant see that, then I`ll just lump you in with those white idiots who attend Farrahkan rallies to hear him call them devils and then they cheer about it.....LOL
You know that was really quite uncalled for. I've written nothing that would in any way indicate that I'm a Farahkhan supporter whatsoever.

I've also talked about the racism of blacks and latinos against whites for goodness sakes. Do you have reading comprehension problems?

Can you not have a conversation without personal attacks and nastiness? Apparently not. Prichard, Ann, Backfist and myself are all managing a bit more mature level of discourse. Perhaps you might follow suit. If not, then I won't waste my time replying to your nastiness again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia