U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,636 times

Advertisements

My husband and myself plus our 2 children and one on the way are moving to Newnan from Ann Arbor, MI I would LOVE some help on deciding which elementary school to send on oldest, which will be going into kindergarten next year. PLEASE anyone give me advice good or bad about schools in Newnan. We will be renting for 6 months to get to know the area before we buy. Plus where is a GREAT female pediatrician and a GREAT female OB ( I am due in May) we will be driving out of Michigan March 1 very excited very scared! We live in a small town now, love it the kids can walk to school if they wish to. I love the small town feel, people so friendly!! I am so scared about where is the best place to send our children...I am a public school supporter, but I would love to hear anything. Just want our children safe!! My husband will be driving to the air port daily so we thought Newnan would be great.
Thank you for your time and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 AM

129 posts, read 604,948 times
well, the best schools on that part of town are in peachtree city/ fayette county.. I believe Coweta county is trying hard to catch up , I have heard that the best school (going by test rankings only) is Canongate not sure if that is in newnan or sharpsburg.. I have also been told that white oak and arbor springs is good... The thing you must keep in mind when moving from a small town, b/c newnan is growing soo much don't be surprised if you get rezoned more than once or at least once to a different school at some point..

Especially if you are moving into a new developing area.
Sorry I can't help you out on the Dr's I live on the other side of town McDonough (hubby also drives to airport everyday)... renting is a GREAT idea to get to know the area...also if you are a stay at home mom???. you might want to check out MOMSCLUB.org to find a local chapter in your area, that was a life saver for me in meeting new friends for myself and my kids.. any questions feel free to PM me... good luck!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:31 AM

6 posts, read 31,024 times
Currently I live in Coweta county, been here for 4 years. My daughter attends Elm Street Elem, and loves it. She was rezoned last year from Northside Elem, but was a good move for her she is actually in an accelerated learning program in the first grade. I was raised in Fayette County schools my whole life and can say that they are not the same as they used to be. I have a niece that is in Kindergarten in Fayette County Schools System and they are not learning near the level of what Coweta was teaching last year. She seems real behind than what my daughter learned last year. As for the commute to the airport it is very easy. Newnan is just off the interstate we have three exits that make it easy to just jump right on. The traffic from the southside going northbound is very easy.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,636 times
Default Thank you both for your help :)

Thank You again for your information and time!!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:35 PM

328 posts, read 777,463 times
You and your family will be fine.You will love Georgia.Welcome

Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM

63 posts, read 544,961 times
Default Newnan

I am a new comer to Newnan and I like it here so far. I do not like that we do not have street lights everywhere like in Louisiana and we have no Whole Foods Market. I am renting in Summergrove which is a very nice golf/tennis/swimclub subdivision. My little boy attends Newnan Crossing Elm and I am happy with the school. I have two children in High School at East Coweta which is a pretty good school. Our kids doctor is the Pedia-Doc group. Dr.Dennis-Smith is awesome #770-251-5223. Dr.Killebrew Ob/Gyn in Fayetteville is also awesome #770-991-2200 she is in a group with several women and about two men. Fayette County Schools are highly rated but Coweta County is not bad. You could live in Peachtree City. Georgia is not big on sidewalks so the kids may not be able to walk to school.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 PM

722 posts, read 3,046,972 times
I'm an Elm Street alum and I have to say that my fondest memories take place at that school. I loved it there, and I'm sure your kids would too.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,826,346 times
Quote:
We will be renting for 6 months to get to know the area before we buy.
I always smile when I see that. Wise decision, Kibbles.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 31,024 times
any news on the move to newnan.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 26,276 times
Thumbs up advice on moving south

I can't help but reply to your question. I grew up in SW Michigan and have been in the south for the last 20 years. I started at Auburn and have lived and worked in GA, AL , MS TN and now back to GA. My family is also relocating to the Newnan area. I have 3 children 5 - 13 and I have taught school for 13 years. Don't sweat the small stuff as far as what the kids are learning in elementary. What some schools cover one year others may the next etc. They will be fine as I gather from friends I know from there and the general reputation of public ed. in this area that they will get a good education. You are coming from a college town so your schools there are probably awesome as are most college town schools. You are smart to research and rent . As for the south , it's a wonderful place to be. There are so many neat things here from the food to friends. Find a church to be a part of and you will find a network of support very quickly. I wish you the best and hope you enjoy it down here as much as I have. Oh the only thing I don't like is the heat and humidity. It is almost unbearable sometimes. We bought dehumidifiers and they make a huge difference in July adn August. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia