Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 14,742 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please help?
I currently live in Memphis,TN and want out. The crime rate is simply too high.
I need suggestions for places to move my family. We recently visited downtown Chattanooga and LOVED it! Currently, that is our 1st pick, but I just want to make sure its "the" place before we pack up our things.
Here is what we are looking for:
1. family friendly-parks, playgrounds, bookstores, good schools.
2. affordable (ie. a nice home for $250,00 or less)
3. SAFE!!!!
4. walkable. by this I mean that I love the idea of putting the baby in the stroller and walking to the grocery, the park, bookstore, ice cream shop, school, etc.
I want to get out of the car!!
I really loved the feel of downtown Chattanooga-family friendly and safe but also sort of urban and artsy while also having that small town feel. Looking for similar towns.
5. prefer to stay in the south east but open to other suggestions

I don't mind living in a small town as long as A.it is withing 10/15 mins of a decent sized city and B.as long as there are some interesting things to do in the small town (bookstores, children's museums, etc). BUT would prefer to actually live in the midst of all the neat stuff

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! I am exhausting myself always researching and exhausting our wallet visiting places that aren't what they appeared on the internet.
Please help us find our "Leave It To Beaver" town!
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
What is your budget?
That has a lot of bearing on what you'll get in GA.
Having said that, I'll bear the standard for my hometown of Decatur, which fits your description of an ideal place quite well.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM

103 posts, read 620,740 times
Atlanta has some very nice suburbs but they are expensive. I am sure other cities in Georgia would have something to offer that fits what you are looking for.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 40,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd465 View Post
Can anyone please help?
I currently live in Memphis,TN and want out. The crime rate is simply too high.
I need suggestions for places to move my family. We recently visited downtown Chattanooga and LOVED it! Currently, that is our 1st pick, but I just want to make sure its "the" place before we pack up our things.
Here is what we are looking for:
1. family friendly-parks, playgrounds, bookstores, good schools.
2. affordable (ie. a nice home for $250,00 or less)
3. SAFE!!!!
4. walkable. by this I mean that I love the idea of putting the baby in the stroller and walking to the grocery, the park, bookstore, ice cream shop, school, etc.
I want to get out of the car!!
I really loved the feel of downtown Chattanooga-family friendly and safe but also sort of urban and artsy while also having that small town feel. Looking for similar towns.
5. prefer to stay in the south east but open to other suggestions

I don't mind living in a small town as long as A.it is withing 10/15 mins of a decent sized city and B.as long as there are some interesting things to do in the small town (bookstores, children's museums, etc). BUT would prefer to actually live in the midst of all the neat stuff

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! I am exhausting myself always researching and exhausting our wallet visiting places that aren't what they appeared on the internet.
Please help us find our "Leave It To Beaver" town!
Thanks again!
We grew up in Miami Florida and we moved to Maryville TN and did not like it as it was too small and then we moved 4 yrs ago to Gainesville GA and we loved it here. We have to move back to FL for family reasons but regardless of what many people say the things you mentioned are exactly what we found here. We have a two year old and we have had the most fun in the parks and such. We attend Free Chapel and have loved it. We are teachers and can highly recommend it here. We are selling our house and just to give you an idea. It is 4200+ sq ft plus with 6 bedrooms 4 bath in a lake community near the country club and we are selling it for $299,000 and the taxes and insurance are just a fraction of the cost of what we will pay in FLORIDA. Hope that helps! We love Chattanooga, also and this place is similiar but different.

Gainesville Georgia, Gainesville Georgia Real Estate, Gainesville Georgia Homes, Hall County Georgia Here is our home.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 5,831 times
Hello,

I've lived in Los angeles, CA all my life, I have a small child and a small home business in hair replacement. I am looking for a great place to live in GA that is safe. Los Angeles is too expensive & crowded. Homes run around $650,000.00 for a 3 bed one bath fixer uper and this is out skerts of los angeles. I feel it takes three adult incomes to do well in Los Angeles and raising a family.
I am a single parent that is looking for a great afordable housing,community, friendly people ,plenty to do for my 2 1/2 year old. My amost ex-husband is from the UK and hasn't been here long enough to hate the (405) freeways and how expensive it is here in LA, CA.
My neice lives with her of 5 with nanny 7 years ago in Alpheretta, GA bought is somewhere around $250,000. 6 bed three bathrooms.
I have a great business that would boom anywhere near the city. Any suggestions I am not a city gal but I would live outside the city, any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
<allyburk08 said>

Hello,

I've lived in Los angeles, CA all my life, I have a small child and a small home business in hair replacement. I am looking for a great place to live in GA that is safe. Los Angeles is too expensive & crowded. Homes run around $650,000.00 for a 3 bed one bath fixer uper and this is out skerts of los angeles. I feel it takes three adult incomes to do well in Los Angeles and raising a family.

I am a single parent that is looking for a great afordable housing,community, friendly people ,plenty to do for my 2 1/2 year old. My amost ex-husband is from the UK and hasn't been here long enough to hate the (405) freeways and how expensive it is here in LA, CA.

My neice lives with her of 5 with nanny 7 years ago in Alpheretta, GA bought is somewhere around $250,000. 6 bed three bathrooms.
I have a great business that would boom anywhere near the city. Any suggestions I am not a city gal but I would live outside the city, any suggestions?

'No Soup for You'

Old 05-02-2008, 02:02 PM

I only like soup that has soul!

ABS Hair Replacement [Home]

Old 05-02-2008, 02:48 PM

Sorry to overreact. I've responded to several posts lately that seem 'contrived' for lack of a better descriptor.

I don't know much about Alpharetta but from what I've read in this forum it would be rare to find a home like your neice's--6bdr/3ba/250K.

Maybe you could try West Cobb--Acworth/Smyrna/Powder Springs.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the apology “TAKEAHIKE

I didn’t edit my post, because my client just walked in. I probably sounded like I was venting

I was just researching for the best places to re-locate in GA by next year I don’t want to live in the city (Atlanta). I didn’t say that I wanted what my niece paid for a decade ago.

I want a nice place to raise my young 2 year old son, in a safe, connected community that is friendly and have great schools. My budge it around $ 350,000.00 3/ bed/ 2bath.

Thanks,
Ally

Last edited by allyburke08; 05-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: I did something wrong

Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyburke08 View Post
What happened?
It's probably just me.

Many people want to move to Atlanta and find a nice new home, good schools, safe/friendly neighborhood with an easy commute and for very little $. It is not so easy.

You can find 'some' of these things but you have to make compromises. Alpharetta/John's Creek has been compared to the OC. Many high tech jobs there.

Then a lot of people say Atlanta is boring and there is nothing to do here and how they wish they could move.

It is far from a perfect place to live but better than some places.

LOL--Some Californians really miss the beach. It's 5hrs to the Atlantic Coast, FYI and the Atlantic Ocean pales in comparison to the Pacific.

The best way to get the FYI you need would be to make a brief post on the Atlanta forum. List your preferences, price range for a potential home and community. The better schools are found in Cobb, Gwinnett and Forsyth counties generally. Forsyth county is closer to Alpharetta and it is one of the fasting growing counties in the US. Maybe that would be a good place.
Close to Lake Lanier and its easy to get to North GA from that area.

Some of the towns in North GA might also be good. The city is steadily moving north as well as south, east and west.

TGIF :-)

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-02-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: just read your last post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia