Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM
CFD CFD started this thread

3 posts, read 10,220 times

Advertisements

Well we are in the final steps of moving to the Valdosta area. I was just wondering if you pay personal property taxes on cars and boats? Also does your card need to be inspected in GA. (SC we have personal property tax but no inspection)

I am also looking for recommendations on a pool for the house that we are looking at? Anyone with recommendations for this.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:41 AM

602 posts, read 1,955,124 times
Georgia does not, to my knowledge, conduct vehicle inspections. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here. (They probably should conduct inspections.) I don't know what your taxes are like in SC, but you probably need to be prepared for them to double or triple when you get to Georgia. (Our property tax, for instance, QUADRUPLED.) Our vehicle tags/taxes were significantly higher here, too. In general, just be prepared for your tax bills to go up. I'm basing this on our experiences, not on statistics, so YMMV.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,117,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Well we are in the final steps of moving to the Valdosta area. I was just wondering if you pay personal property taxes on cars and boats? Also does your card need to be inspected in GA. (SC we have personal property tax but no inspection)

I am also looking for recommendations on a pool for the house that we are looking at? Anyone with recommendations for this.

Thanks for the info.
You need an annual emissions inspection for all cars older than 3 years and newer than 25 years old. You can't renew your registration without it. Other than that there is no safety inspection as there is in many other states. So as long as your car doesn't pollute, no one here cares if anything else works.

Personal property taxes are called "ad valorem taxes" here and are paid based on a value determined by the state. You can go here to see what your car's assessment is and how much you'd pay.

Georgia Department of Revenue

Old 05-04-2008, 01:56 PM

726 posts, read 3,589,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You need an annual emissions inspection for all cars older than 3 years and newer than 25 years old. You can't renew your registration without it. Other than that there is no safety inspection as there is in many other states. So as long as your car doesn't pollute, no one here cares if anything else works.

Personal property taxes are called "ad valorem taxes" here and are paid based on a value determined by the state. You can go here to see what your car's assessment is and how much you'd pay.

Georgia Department of Revenue
emissions inspection in Valdosta?
I think the inspections are only in the Metrolanta counties

Old 05-04-2008, 03:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,117,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
emissions inspection in Valdosta?
I think the inspections are only in the Metrolanta counties
After checking, I guess you're right. I didn't know there was a distinction or why you wouldn't want to check all cars in the state. Does the air pollution created by junker cars outside Atlanta stay outside Atlanta? Of course not.

I moved from a state that required both an emissions and safety inspection annually for the entire state. I'm not used to selective and lax enforcement.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 PM

27 posts, read 65,181 times
Here in Canada, we feel taxed to death. From 12 to 18% sales tax on everything except uncooked food and childrens clothing. I have a 1400 Sq Ft house in a middle class area and my real estste tax is $3500/year. Not to mention our income tax!!!
But we do have free medical if you can wait that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: