Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Isn't property pretty expensive up there?
I somehow had taxes on the brain when I responded to this and read into your post "Isn't property TAX pretty expensive up there..." Old age is setting in too soon! I purchased our home there back in 2009. The market was still okay in the area then. I know that since then, many of the homes have tumbled in price as folks had to get out from under a second mortgage for their vacation home. So, I think the prices are way below where they were 6 or 7 years ago. Seems to be lots of places for sale now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 11:00 PM

137 posts, read 242,227 times
Regardless of what the cell phone controlled greater Atlantans believe- my town beats all in GA!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 17,099 times
Looking for info on dahlonega vs cleveland vs clarkesville vs Toccoa Thoughts on those areas for living? and what area is maybe lower in crime? I am a single woman, early 50s, work on the internet so finding a job isn't an issue (as long as I have internet access) Looking to get out of the rat race and also need to stay close to elderly parents who live just outside Atlanta. Any info appreciated.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,874 times
Default Kitty

I'm not sure about the best cities Larryb mentioned, but I can sure tell you to stay away from Dawson, GA. Other than the beautiful historical houses, which are mostly in disrepair, the city is crime ridden. I'm a transplant from a much bigger city which I prefer not mention the name, because everybody here knows your business and they'll know who I'm. Just last week there was a shooting a couple of blocks from my house (and I live in one of the best streets in the neighborhood). Coming from a bigger city, I never heard so much police/ ambulance activity for such a small town. Nothing to do in town, not even a decent supermarket, nor restaurant. A lot of unemployed people walking aimlessly.. Hard to tell if they are just walking by or casing your place.... It's like a scene from the walking dead!!! Albany, is a little better. With a few chain restaurants. There is so much talking about good southern cooking, and for a deep south city, there isn't a decent mom & pop restaurant worth visiting. Business come and go, a lot of vacancies. As far as southern Hospitality, people are not very friendly if you're an outsider, very hard circle to penetrate if you're not from here, or a church goer. They only recognize 3 ethnic groups; African American, Caucasian & Mexican... LOL.. Yes they think all Hispanics are Mexican... That's how narrow minded some people are on this town. stay away!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM

52 posts, read 69,668 times
Default Not entirely accurate

This thread is interesting. Insightful, at times; laughable at others.
---

I've lived in Georgia for most of my life. Traveled to virtually all parts of the state.
Many places in this thread have been portrayed in a light they really don't deserve.

In truth, everything is relative. It all depends on what you like.
There is a place in Georgia for just about everyone. Most places have very wonderful aspects, mixed with some bad.

Personally, I've chosen Chattanooga, TN to live and play, though I still work in North Georgia. Originally, I'm from South Georgia.

Anyone truly interested in moving, please take what you see in the thread with a grain of salt. Try to read things from people who both love AND hate the place.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
Im thinking very hard about moving to ga im looking for good public schools, easy going people, low crime rate, better life from nyc moved to ct now im thinking south to buy a house and start a restaurant business canton? Athens? Peachtree city? Any other places that anyone can help?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:33 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
What type of restaurant do you want to open?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattattack25 View Post
She's right.. Albany is full of snobs who shouldn't be... crime was pretty bad and the cost of living is oh so low... I don't know why some people are saying Albany's cost of living is high... It's one of the cheapest places to live in the country, most likely because no one wants to live there and the city is dirty and old and rundown... even the "rich" neighborhoods have low land value....
First to all of you judgmental fools on here go back north. Because the fair majority of you are from some bumpkin town in Yankee ville USA. Second You don't like it down here in Ga. *********. I have been all over the country Georgia is one of the most hospitable places on the planet. Far better than puke york or pew jersey. All of you northerners move down here start changng everything and then talk bad about the places that do not cater to your whims. Atlanta is talked about badly because it has the most corrupt Mator and Police force in the state. But Albany is an old town that gets neglected by the fools in Atlanta and therefore it has poor prideful Southerners just trying to get by. I am rather tired of this stupid stuff you people pull. Oh and to the idiot woman who moved west to mississippi learn to spell the word is Watermelon. this is a joke I have lived all over the worst places in Georgia to live are as follows. Waycross, Lawrenceville, Douglasville, Vinings, Atlanta, Decatur, Winder, Columbus, and Calhoun. And everywhere in south Georgia or as I refer to it Northern Florida. Add states to that list and you have New york State and all 5 Burroughs. New Jersey, Delaware,Massachusetts, Maryland, Ohio, North Dakota, Missouri, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas(Texan men are idiots and arrogant pricks, much like yankees fans.) Arizona( to many gamblers), New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Washington D.C.( Too many idiots, fools, morons, liars, cheats and Obamas) (one of him was too many his mother should have swallowed) (Maine has decent people who may talk a bit funny to us southerners but they are polite and welcoming. Oregon is a place to visit but never live there. Oh and steer clear of most big cities in Georgia You are better off living in the rural areas than in the burbs with allthe drug dealers and idiots. " the above is a representation of why people should think before the share their opinions.} it's all true but I am certain several people were offended by my statements the difference is I know and do not care, the idiot above doesn't know but should care.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen77 View Post
First to all of you judgmental fools on here go back north. Because the fair majority of you are from some bumpkin town in Yankee ville USA. Second You don't like it down here in Ga. *********. I have been all over the country Georgia is one of the most hospitable places on the planet. Far better than puke york or pew jersey. All of you northerners move down here start changng everything and then talk bad about the places that do not cater to your whims. Atlanta is talked about badly because it has the most corrupt Mator and Police force in the state. But Albany is an old town that gets neglected by the fools in Atlanta and therefore it has poor prideful Southerners just trying to get by. I am rather tired of this stupid stuff you people pull. Oh and to the idiot woman who moved west to mississippi learn to spell the word is Watermelon. this is a joke I have lived all over the worst places in Georgia to live are as follows. Waycross, Lawrenceville, Douglasville, Vinings, Atlanta, Decatur, Winder, Columbus, and Calhoun. And everywhere in south Georgia or as I refer to it Northern Florida. Add states to that list and you have New york State and all 5 Burroughs. New Jersey, Delaware,Massachusetts, Maryland, Ohio, North Dakota, Missouri, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas(Texan men are idiots and arrogant pricks, much like yankees fans.) Arizona( to many gamblers), New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Washington D.C.( Too many idiots, fools, morons, liars, cheats and Obamas) (one of him was too many his mother should have swallowed) (Maine has decent people who may talk a bit funny to us southerners but they are polite and welcoming. Oregon is a place to visit but never live there. Oh and steer clear of most big cities in Georgia You are better off living in the rural areas than in the burbs with allthe drug dealers and idiots. " the above is a representation of why people should think before the share their opinions.} it's all true but I am certain several people were offended by my statements the difference is I know and do not care, the idiot above doesn't know but should care.
You should take your own advice and practice what you preach. Really.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
Holy crap!!!
Now, I hope we don't get the job in Atlanta now.
The comments about schools, crime, corruPtion, poverty,
Lack of education, traffic, all things negative is scary!!!

I'm looking on zillow, red fin, trulia, realator.com
And we are all over the place deciding where we'd like to call home.
Don't know if it's Alpheretta, Smyrna, Johns creek, east cobb
Or closer to midtown. ( I know I should be in the atlanta forum)

Last edited by Gilah G.; 09-01-2014 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia