Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Warner Robins, GA for the past 15 years. I retired from the military here and worked at Robins AFB after military retirement for 11 more years. The AF base is the local engine that keeps this place going...Macon is somewhat dependent on the base as well. The Houston County schools here are rated very high, crime is low and it's considered a good place to raise your kids. It's kind of a "big box store" town with many restaurants, shopping plazas and one mall. This town serves as a shopping destination for many outlying smaller GA towns. GA, in general, has become a tax haven for retirees. If you're over 62, 35K of your retirement income is NOT taxed by the state. Once you turn 65, that number goes up to 65K. I'm originally from NC, but the military has placed me in NJ, SC, CA and HI over my years of service. Charleston, SC was another favorite place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,279 times
Just retired from ny. I was an employee of the city of ny, so was my wife. Looking to move down south. Florida to many new yorkers, and to hot in the summer months. South Carolina doesn't call my attention. Is either Georgia or north carolina. Seen some nice neighborhoods in NC, before making a move I would like to see Georgia. We are both Hispanic born in upstate NY. With 3 kids, by the time we move only 1 will be with us in high school. What do u guys suggest, we both make pretry good money from our retirement, looking for a neighborhood with a good school district, 65%-70% white, and the rest mix-minority. And we are both in our early 40's. No nursing home

Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdunderfire52 View Post
Just retired from ny. I was an employee of the city of ny, so was my wife. Looking to move down south. Florida to many new yorkers, and to hot in the summer months. South Carolina doesn't call my attention. Is either Georgia or north carolina. Seen some nice neighborhoods in NC, before making a move I would like to see Georgia. We are both Hispanic born in upstate NY. With 3 kids, by the time we move only 1 will be with us in high school. What do u guys suggest, we both make pretry good money from our retirement, looking for a neighborhood with a good school district, 65%-70% white, and the rest mix-minority. And we are both in our early 40's. No nursing home
Congrats on being able to retire so young!

In Atlanta, there are many areas that would meet those requirements. I'm partial to Peachtree City. It's a master planned community of 36K with a median family income around 110K. The entire city is connected by 100 miles of golf cart paths that you can use to access schools, churches, shopping, parks, and dinning. The schools are outstanding and crime is very low.

Other areas that are great for families with outstanding schools and that meet your demographic requirements are listed below. Peachtree City is on the southside of Atlanta, the rest of the areas on this list, and most of the population in Metro Atlanta is on the Northside. The Northside has more shopping & dinning options and is closer to the North Georgia mountains, but also has more traffic and congestion. Peachtree City is home to a thousands of Delta Pilots and executives due to it's easy access to the airport.

1. Peachtree City-(McIntosh, Starr's Mill)
2. Milton-(Milton High)
3. Alpharetta-(Cambridge, Alpharetta)
4. John's Creek-(John's Creek, Northview, Chattahoochee)
5. Roswell-(Roswell High)
6. Marietta/East Cobb (Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Harrison)
7. Suwanee/Cumming (South Forsyth County) (Lambert, South Forsyth, West Forsyth)

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk

Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM

73 posts, read 79,909 times
Thumbs up Excellent synopsis

I totally agree with this assessment. I lived there for 4 months while working for government and looking for a place to buy.
The pollution, horrible traffic problems, demographics, humidity and heat, bugs, salt marshes, tourist, crime ,urban decay make up a witches brew.
Try instead Wilmington-Myrtle Beach, Va Beach, Richmond, Greenville, SC, Ocala Fl, Greensboro, Winston-Salem.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM

That is an odd name??

Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Don't

Go to Richmond, Charlottes ville, or Va beach area.
You are suffering from wanderlust, a very common condition of those on these forums.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Mistake.Stay out of Georgia

Old 01-03-2017, 07:17 PM

I don't think so

Old 01-15-2017, 09:50 PM

65 posts, read 103,325 times
I am considering moving to Athens, im single, with a masters degree like college areas, but need to find a good job. What is your take on Athens, the rents seem awesome, nice and low.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:41 AM

30 posts, read 48,534 times
Consider Catoosa County- just a few miles from Chattanooga, TN. Suburban and/or rural feel (depending on where you live). Heritage High School (and feeder elementary schools) in Ringgold are decent. Affordable real estate. There are decent job opportunities in Chattanooga, though I wouldn't say high-paying (but then again, it's a much lower cost of living than CO so you get much more house for your money.) There is lots to do in the Chattanooga area- Lookout Mountain, Tennessee Aquarium, Creative Discovery children's museum, Tennessee Riverwalk, High Point climbing facility, lots of hiking in the nearby mountains, boating and fishing on the lakes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_still76 View Post
My husband and I will be moving this summer somewhere in north Georgia. We have never been there, but want to live somewhere with mountain views. We are moving from Colorado (too many blizards). We love the scenery though. We make a decent living here, so we are hoping to find a place in Georgia that has affordable real estate and where jobs will pay well. My husband is an Ophthalimic Technician in the eye care business. He works for a private Dr. so he will be unable to transfer to Georgia. We have 2 children in grade school, so good schools are important also. Is there any way we could have all of this and still have mountains? We really don't want to live in the city...but we don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either!Any info would be very helpful-Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia