Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:03 AM

32 posts, read 95,781 times

Advertisements

Not sure why people decided not to answer the questions and just wanted to "crap" all over Atlanta. Atlanta is one of the best cities to live near, hands down. You won't find better weather, more things to do anywhere else. I would say that people here are great, but now with so many transplants, it's becoming tough.

METRO ATLANTA - includes 13 counties

1. Alpharetta - The high appreciation, parks, schools and shopping make this the most sought after location outside of the city. The drawbacks are traffic to and from Atlanta and the high prices.

2. Suwanee - Named by money magazine as one of the top 10 places to live. Suwanee has parks, great schools access to many great shopping opportunities and it continues to grow. Housing is extremely affordable as well.

3. Marietta - Marietta is one of the most convenient cities on the north side. It has decent schools, slightly high prices and a few parks. It's very convenient to Atlanta. The east side of the city features one of the best schools in Georgia. Several athletes have come out of the high schools here.

4. Peachtree City - Or "pilot city" - this city is where a lot of the pilots live from Hartsfield. The schools are better than the average South Atlanta school and price are reasonable. Out of the areas south of I-20, this one has some of the lowest crime statistics.

5. McDonough - I'm trying to name cities all around Atlanta, so this one makes the list. Usually it doesn't come close. Homes are very affordable and the schools are slightly above average.

Other Great Cities: Lawrenceville, Dacula, Grayson, Snellville, Duluth, Roswell, Cumming, Vinings, Kennesaw, and Dallas.

Worst Cities

1. Riverdale - high crime and poor schools make this one an awful choice.
2. Norcross - Mostly non-English speaking residents, likely to alienate anyone that doesn't speak at least one of the many languages represented here. Gangs abound as does crime.
3. College Park - Great place to go to college, not a great place to go to school or leave a car unattended.
4. Forest Park - Again, crime and poverty abound, some of the states worst schools.
5. Sandy Springs - The city may try to "nicen" it up, but the traffic is horrendous and the crime and schools are some of the worst. There ARE nice neighborhoods in Sandy Springs, but the rentals are what makes it not as nice to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
This analysis seems to describe most of suburban America.. not just where you lived. The problem with the generic suburbanization of America is that it breaks down communities and turns them into amorphous blobs of subdivisions, strip malls, and mega schools and mega churches. Normal socialization is broken down as people rarely interact with neighbors.. always in their cars or sealed off in a mcmansion playing video games. Young people are often trapped within these bland environments because of the necessity to to have access to an automobile to travel anywhere beyond the subdivision.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 40,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCHAEDLER View Post
Someone asked the very same on the CT. board.
Please tell me the top five and worst five placed to live in your opinion.
I expect this will send me enough info to narrow my search for a home in Georgia.
Any and all information always welcome.
Thank you
Angela
worst places to live in georgia:
macon
moultrie
perry
barnesville
basically anywhere in middle georgia is the worse

north ga is nice, but very expensive

Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveYourself View Post
I am a 20 year old college student with a high IQ(1400 SAT1), and I have lived in Georgia since I was 5. The 15 years of my existence spent in this "illustrious" state have been wrought with horrendous experiences. I know everyone is like how can he say that he must live in a crappy part like Riverdale but the fact is I have lived in Gwinnett County the whole time. Supposedly Gwinnett County is the most bad ass part of Georgia to grow up in since the schools are said to be good, the people are supposedly nice, and the weather is said to be awesome. All three of those things are practically lies.

First off the school systems in Georgia are horrendous. All of my K-12 was spent in Georgia and I can say from thirteen years experience that Georgia has quite possibly the worst school system in all of the US. The teachers do not give a crap about anyone. All they care about is forcefeeding kids mental garbage so they score high on the Cogat and Gateway bs tests. The Cogat doesn't even count for anything other than getting the school funding! The schools also are terrible at preventing rampant drug use. I ended up using drugs because of the Georgia schools lack of education or prevention on the subject. All drugs are readily available for high school aged kids around Gwinnett because there is not a damned thing to do if you are under 21. So all the high schoolers just buy pot, pills, and whatever alcohol they can muster in misguided attempts to have fun.

Secondly, the people here have the lowest IQs in all of the world. They are retarded and they constantly talk about how lovey dovey Georgia is while there kid stumbles drunkenly upstairs to go pass out from last nights binge drinking session. People do not realize what is really going on yet and by the time they do it's too late for their kids.

Thirdly, the weather is *******s. It's always either too cold or too hot.
Oh and I also forgot to talk about how ****ty the police force is but I really don't think another reason is needed to keep people from moving to this hell hole. Literally if you come here you will be sucked in and can never leave.

ED
Oh and I forgot how crappy the dating scene is here. The women in Georgia my age(17-20) are 99% whores.
Let me use this post to advise every reader from every state. This sounds so much like "The Lost Kids of Rockdale County" circa 1997. Wherever you end up living, continue placing value on education with your kids, but you must teach them constantly how to slip out of "the rat race" and enjoy the simplest pleasures of life. Place low value on high income (remember, not what you say, but what you do). Give a lot of "face time" to your kids. Consider trying to get by in your household with a one-earner income, until your children are past eighteen. This teaches the importance of inter-personal relationships above having "stuff" and electronic entertainment while each member of the family lives within their own cubicle.

And don't be afraid to teach a life of thanksgiving and the worship of God within the walls of your home. And within a community of like-believers at church.

Note how affluently (and academically) you can raise a child, and they still feel desperately empty!!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:57 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
macon
moultrie
perry
barnesville

But...Moultrie is an amazing town! I love it there!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
macon
moultrie
perry
barnesville

Well I guess my list would look like this:
Worst Places:
1. Albany
2. Augusta
3. Macon
4. Dalton
5. Clayton County

Overall I think North Georgia is the most desirous part of the state (including metro Atlanta and Athens)...not including Dalton, it's a one industry town and has big drug and illegal immigrant problem. It just isn't a very cheerful place.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 44,220 times
Hi,
Can anyone tell me about Flowery Branch? Is this is good and safe place to raise a family? I am looking to relocate from Florida and we have friends that tell us that this is a great area. I have a 18 month old baby girl and really want a family community. Thanks

Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 100,158 times
Default Kennesaw`

would be a nice place to settle, with excellent schools and not a very high crime rate. I'd suggest the part of town which is west of highway 41. Expect a lot of high volume traffic during peak hours.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 100,158 times
I'd say decatur is your better option for an income based rate on apts. Section 8 housing in Marietta is becoming less and less prevalent. There still is some over around the Franklin Rd area of town and around Smyrna, which is very nearby Marietta

Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
ARe you kidding?? YOu rank Augusta and Dalton as 5 of the best and Milledgeville (one of Georgia's most charming small cities) and Columbus (a growing city with a progresive government) as 5 of the worst?. THat really shows how far off in the land of denial you are.

I was thinking the same thing...maybe he's an illegal alien
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia