Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 107,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkbush View Post
I don't understand why someone posted these places as the best to live. I'm not sure if he is THAT informed.

in GA.Best places to live:
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega
- Cleveland- Good place to buy real estate
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live:
- Albany
- Dawson
- Bambridge
- Decatur
- Marietta
- Conyers
- Lithonia
- Bankhead
-Barnesville

I am from Americus Ga and live in Providence RI. Americus is the home to Habatat for Humanity. I go home a few times a year. Americus is a very beautiful Victorian town and you can get a historic house --a fixer upper for a song. The winters are absolutely great--summer is like an oven. There's not much in the way of resturants and shopping--(only a superwalmart) for that you would have to travel to Albany--40 minutes away---but if you are looking for a quality quiet life-Americus is a good place to live. Resturants: Le Hacienda (Mexican) Granny's Kitchen for good southern food and Glady's Kitchen--soul food--for the best fried chicken in the south! You can buy nearly everything in the grocery that you can find in larger cities.

My opinion (Brink Bush)

These are mountain towns--pretty and quiet.--in the mountains.
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega
- Cleveland- Good place to buy real estate

These places are horrible and in the middle of nowhere.
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live: (according to larryb)

- Albany--nice, ecomomically happening, much of the historic areas are destroyed--two Starbucks stores in the city! ---people there are really trying to make something happen with the downtown.
- Dawson--small beautiful town, many historic houses worth seeing--30 miles from Albany. (Major producer of peanut butter)
- Bambridge--near Atlanta--don't know.
- Decatur--some parts are nice--Little 5 Points is quite bohemian.
- Marietta-suburban Atlanta--crowed.
- Conyers-suburban Atlanta--spread out-
- Lithonia--don't know
- Bankhead--don't know
-Barnesville--near Macon--lookes like from the website they are really trying to make it a happening place.

Macon Ga is a pre-Civil War city. It is very historic and very very beautiful and a great place to live--a historic treasure.
FYI...Bainbridge is in the SW corner of GA, 40 miles North of Tallahassee. I do not know whether it is a good or bad place to live. I travel there 2X per month on business. Seems friendly.
I live in Macon and find your comment refreshing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
Default Thomasville

A town that often gets overlooked is Thomasville.. it's really a beautiful little town with a very vibrant downtown.. It's history and architecture has been well preserved and its only a short drive to Tallahassee, FL. I would have to put THomasville at the top pf the list for best places in South Georgia.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
I totally agree Disgusta. It is a great town.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 14,323 times
I would like to move to georgia somewhere near Atlanta? My children are highly involved in basketball and soccer any ideas on good areas?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,334 times
Columbus, GA. It's a great sports town for children of all ages. One of the largest soccer complexes in the South East. Located about 100 miles south west of Downtown Atlanta. Many public and private basketball courts and gyms throughout the city. If sports your thing, then you will love Columbus. As a matter of fact, Columbus has a lot to offer in various areas interests, from sports to opera and everything in between.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 26,528 times
Best Places 1.LaGrange 2.Newnan 3.McDonough WorstPlaces 1.Jonesboro 2.Riverdale 3.Stockbridge

Old 10-22-2007, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 40,774 times
Default places to live

Greetings!

There are so many WONDERFUL areas in Georgia!

IMHO
1) Douglas
2) Perry
3) Marshallville..my future residence--stay out! :-)
4) Homerville..yes,Homerville!
5) Warner Robins

etc,etc,etc, blah,blah,blah..

I have traveled the backroads of Georgia and the "BIG" cities where there is nothing but asphalt/cement..not my cup of tea.

The Marshallville area has about 1500 folks and if all goes well for me..it will be 1501.

Milledgeville is another very nice area..a "down home" type of feeling..

I prefer the country life..my honeybees will enjoy pollinatating the peach trees,etc.

I have traveled N.C.,S.C.,Virginia,W.Va.,Alabama,Florida...Georgia has captivated me..can't explain why,maybe it's the folks that I have met.

IMHO..you need to spend some time in Georgia..travel the country side and the cities. You will NOT bee disappointed..I assure you.

You need to "feel" the atmosphere.the spirit of the people..ask many questions while you are visitng.

I spent time just sitting at a coffee/diner,etc and just started a converstion..asked many questions.

I am rambling and wish I was more eloquent in my writings in the stories I have been told and the knowledge that I have acquired.

Yes,this forum has guided me to the mentioned towns and I am very grateful for the information..reading the messages is OK,but you will NEVER really know the areas,unless you visit.

The only bad report I have is Macun..the residents have told me to stay away..

all the best,
Herb

Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 23,614 times
I live in Leesburg, GA. I love it! The diversity and the warmth of the people make this place special. I drove in my very first time to visit a friend and went to what is called here by locals "The Avenues" it is an older part of town with beautiful Oak Trees with moss dripping off it. I fell in love with this place. I truly felt like I had come home. It may not have the best shopping but there a number of cities an hour so away that have the big malls. What it does have is history, old school charm and reasonable priced real estae as well as delightful people!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 23,614 times
I agree that there are alot of cliches in the North Georgia Are that I lived in but South Georgia has that Southern Hospitality!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 PM

18 posts, read 119,674 times
If you choose Leesburg look forward to all 4 of your kids getting head lice at Lee County schools. This is a big problem since most of the children at these schools are white. They just pass it around like a bad cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia