Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 217,966 times

Advertisements

ok here's the truth. For your situation with 4 kids 5 good places for you to live in no particular order.

Powder Springs
Austell
Lawrenceville
Kennesaw
Marietta

Downtown areas are ok, certain parts have a lot of crime. But if you have kids downtown is probably not where you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,179,244 times
I will not spend any time degrading the other cities in the great state of Georgia. I will only tell you what Columbus and the area has to offer.
Columbus is children friendly. We have many libraries, recreation centers, Boys & Girls Clubs, YMCA's and very good schools. There are plenty of youth sports (softball, baseball, football and soccer) and arts & crafts activities. No large industrial facilities spewing our odors. Depending upon your taste, there are plenty of adult oriented activities also, such as the Ballet, Music, Theater, Museums, College and Minor League Pro sports and shopping. If you are the active type then there is softball, soccer, hockey leagues and numerous gyms and golf courses throughout the city and the area. And of course this is the South, so there are numerous churches, synagogues and masques available. By the way, we are 1.5 hours from Atlanta and 3 hours from some of the prettiest white sand beaches in the world.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,017,258 times
But really folks... steer clear of Augusta, Albany, and Macon.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCHAEDLER View Post
Sorry, just being funny.
I get your point. I still hope to visit Atlanta, just not live in it. I am more of a small town person. I have always lived in CT. Matter of fact, I have always lived in a big old house too. My parents 3 story victorian, then my own homes on large parcels of property with no close neighbors. I am hoping for a neighborhood with kids and friendly adults.
i moved from rockmart in paulding co. ga. i loved it quiet,cheap,great schools,land,low property taxes. i moved from marietta, ga. lived there my whole life. bigger town but the violance is bad(in parts)east cobb is the best but expensive.rockmart small town new homes under 100k. hpoe to help

Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 PM

919 posts, read 3,174,761 times
I have just read that Kennesaw is on the top ten places to raise a family according to Family Cirlce Magazine!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 AM

634 posts, read 2,914,988 times
Best and Worst: Macon

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 58,355 times
Talking hwd - ditto

5 Best in Southwest Georgia: (in no particular order)
Moultrie: Lowest Cost of Living
Thomasville
Tifton
Valdosta..........Highest Cost of Living
Leesburg

5 Worst:
Fort Gains
Americus
Albany............High Crime, High Cost of Living
Dawson
Lumpkin

I live in Thomasville and have since I was 14 - now over the hill age wise so I am partial to Thomasville, but feel I have good reason to be. Bear in mind that this is not my HOMETOWN, but it is what it is, just plain GOOD.
I have never liked Albany Georgia, even in my single touring the towns days.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:25 PM

I agree that Thomasville is the best town in South Georgia. It is really a lovely place.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,584 times
Not too long ago Cordele used to be Syphillis capital of the nation.

~Neeva

Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeevaCandida View Post
Not too long ago Cordele used to be Syphillis capital of the nation.

~Neeva
I guess it's all that inbreeding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia