Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Well no doubt Columbus has its ghetto areas.. but I certainly wouldn't say its to the extent of Macon, Disgusta, and Albany.
Certain parts of Disgusta are so deplorable, you almost think you are in Haiti.
I have personally been to Haiti and lived in Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien for a UN relief effort, and currently live in Columbia County. I love Augusta. You are so far off the mark on this one I have to wonder if you're trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 09:39 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I have personally been to Haiti and lived in Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien for a UN relief effort, and currently live in Columbia County. I love Augusta. You are so far off the mark on this one I have to wonder if you're trolling.
I don't believe anyone said a thing about Columbia County..(that's not Augusta, is it?) but then most ppl in Augusta simply ignore or don't care about the urban blight in the inner city of Augusta (you know becaause its just 'black people who live there'). The conditions of some of the inner city neighborhoods are deplorable.. and are yes at the level to be considered almost third world. Try taking a drive up twiggs st and its environs.. and you will be reminded of Haiti... and yes their are dirt roads in some of the inner city neighborhoods.. and I'm not talking about the canal towpath.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
I don't believe anyone said a thing about Columbia County..(that's not Augusta, is it?) but then most ppl in Augusta simply ignore or don't care about the urban blight in the inner city of Augusta (you know becaause its just 'black people who live there'). The conditions of some of the inner city neighborhoods are deplorable.. and are yes at the level to be considered almost third world. Try taking a drive up twiggs st and its environs.. and you will be reminded of Haiti... and yes their are dirt roads in some of the inner city neighborhoods.. and I'm not talking about the canal towpath.
I honestly don't think there's very many areas I haven't been in, in the city of Augusta. Third world is off base and simply hyperbole. I know you dislike Augusta, but your rhetoric here is pretty ridiculous.

On any subject but Augusta, you usually come across pretty level headed...on Augusta, I know you lived there at one time, but simply don't believe you've been there lately. So let me be blunt:

What was the last time you, personally, visited Augusta? And I'm not talking the Interstate. For me: today. Augusta has some ****ty areas, not denying it, but it isn't third-world by any stretch of the imagination, unless you also think parts of Chattanooga (which I was in two months ago) are third-world.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Let's see how many cities.. especially those boasting to be the second largest in a state.. allow aluminum sheds and junkyards in the heart of its downtown? Haver so many dilapidated boarded up buildings that should be torn down, but instead pose a signifcant public safety threat? (the local paper has done numerous stories on this).. with the school board being among the worst offenders. Then you have the shelled out crack houses in the inner city and homes that were damaged by a flood that occurred over 17 YEARS AGO that have still not been torn down and harbor mold and are just generally a major eyesore. In subdivisons in south Augusta.. people can turn their front yard into a junkyard and the city does nothing about it.. and then you have the trailers and rusty cars sitting atop cynderblocks.. you'd think you were in Deliverance.. and this is supposed to be a city?????!!! Sometimes I think there is no code enforcement in Augusta whatsoever and no building inspectors.. or either they are paid off by somebody.. and the city has a long reputation for corruption... all of this sounds pretty third world to me.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:17 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Take a trip down McDaniel Street in Atlanta and expect to see the same thing Disgusta. Burned out houses that have not been fixed in more than 20 years, razor wire fencing around the yards, trash on the lawn, cars up on blocks, ect.... And about the schools, Carver High School in Atlanta was so bad (had an SAT score of 560) they turned it into a technical school. And Clayton County schools are so bad they are about to loose accredation (first time in the US since 1969).

Old 07-26-2008, 04:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Ok guys. Just calm down. Greenville is better than any of the 2nd tier Georgia cities. That should stop you guys from bashing each other.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ok guys. Just calm down. Greenville is better than any of the 2nd tier Georgia cities. That should stop you guys from bashing each other.
Hey.. I will agree with you on that.. though I think Savannah is in its own league and shouldn't be lumped in with the "fall line" cities.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,581 times
I live in griffin, its a nice town as are most small towns in georgia.The police are not corrupt, someone has been watching too much T.V.,the sheriff's name is Dee Stewart and has been in offfice over 35 years and if you have a problem with a cop see him he will handle the problem.My favorite thing is early spring, we close off the street in front of the court house, have live bands and the trees are all lit up and everyone has a good time."dancing in the street." The schools are average, I don't have kids in school here, but I've heard great things from my neighbor's. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM

115 posts, read 541,373 times
I'm curious to know what areas are nice in sw georgia? I want to move into southwest ga but don't know what area would be nice.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 14,197 times
Default No Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I used to travel to Albany all the time on business, but this was in the late 80's and early 90's. In my opinion, using those times as a basis, it was probably one of the worst cities in the U.S!, not only Georgia. I guess they based all the local jobs and industry on a tire plant (depressing enough), once the tire plant closed, the town shut down. Out of business stores, shut down malls, people leaving, abandoned houses, aimless unemployed people walking around, just depressing. Haven't seen anything like it south of Gary Indiana. Glad to see it's making a comeback.
For now I live in the deep southwest of Georgia (Cairo) 30 miles north of Tallahassee, FL and 50 miles south of Albany. I am sorry to report that Albany is still not a safe town to live in. I hate to even have to go there and try very hard not. The crime there compared to the size of the city/county is right up there with the maijor metro big cities and there is no sign of any postive changes coming any time soon. Be very very careful if you go there!

Cairo/Grady County is a small town 20 miles west of Thomasville, GA, 45 miles east of Bainbridge, GA, 60 miles west of Valdosta, GA and 35 miles north of Tallahassee, FL. My parents have own land here since I was a very small child 48 yrs, and this is my mothers birthhome. Cairos schools are really great and the teachers try very hard to give their best to each student and to be on top of what their students needs are also. My mother was a teacher here for 38 yrs. Cairo has a lot going for it, she is growing in postive ways also, and works hard to be a great small town with a lot to offer with true southern charm and kindness. My family has been living here as earily as 1778-1800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia