Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,837,237 times

Advertisements

Richmond County does have a few good schools.. Daviodson and Johnson are magnet schools. which means they get to choose the best students from throughout the county, so naturally this boosts their rankings. Davidson is a great school, but there is usually a waiting list to get in and it really isn't representative of the overall school system. Most schools in richmond county are not like davidson. Overall, the consensus in the augusta area is that public schools in Columbis County are better.. but I think this has more to do with the demographics of columbia county then some magical thing about the school system. Columbia County tends to have a more affluent population with college educated, professional parents.
It's all going to depend on where you live in Richmond County... if you live in a bad part of town then its a good bet the schools there aren't going to be all that great. Westside High is probably about as good as most of the schools in Columbia County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,007,446 times
The 2 good high schools in columbia county out of the 5 they have. Are in Evans and Martinez not in Grovetown and Harlem. Evans has two high school's with Greenbriar being the better. Evans high has went down dramatically in the last few year's. Harlem and Grovetown high aren't a affluent population with college educated professional parents. Richmond county poor inner city school's hurt county scores overall. But columbia county is growing so their school's are starting to be segregated by income. And richmond county is building more school's like ron clark academy in Atlanta. There is a Heritage academy in Olde towne downtown. West Augusta the westside of richmond/Martinez part of richmond. Downtown school's C.t walker, Davidson, AR Johnson, and Hephzibah school's are the same as the good school's in Evans and Martinez.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 47,915 times
Is there a nice safe apt complex in Thomasville GA?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

66 posts, read 207,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz317 View Post
I have lived in Florida for five years searching for a county near Macon so I can be closer to my two grandchildren. Two years now I have driven to various counties and have not been overly impressed with the home value for the dollar compared to what I have....taxes are a big concern. We wish to be able to pay the taxes and stay in the home. We now have 5 acres and are in a very private area - 40 mintues drive to Cedar Key - one hour to Gainesville. I have not been to Fitzgerald but driven through Tifton many times on I-75, of course. What impresses you about Fitzgerald? I have never felt comfortable in the counties around Macon. Driving to the mall are some pretty undesirable looking neighborhoods. We have always lived in very rural farming areas but still have close access to a great library and good grocery shopping along with lots of farmers selling produce. Agricultural jobs would be a plus.
Try Peach and Houston Counties. Small towns with great housing in byron and the schools in Fort Valley and the malls in Warner Robins and still close to Macon and still have easy access to I-75. and Low crime in Peach County. As far as convience to stores Warner Robins is your best bet

Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 PM

66 posts, read 207,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Best
1)Rome. Number one school system in the state in 2008, Number one most livable small city in the S.E., Tree City U.S.A., four colleges, and three major hospitals, 60 miles from Chattanooga, 65 miles from Atlanta, 90 miles from Birmingham, thriving historic downtown, largest intact Victorian district in the state, 2nd widest Broad Street.
2)Newnan
3)Athens
4)Savannah
5)Peachtree City

Worst
1)Riverdale
2)College Park
3)East Point
4)Forest Park
5)Red Oak
Instead of Savannah i'd add up and coming Warner Robins

Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM

36 posts, read 122,462 times
Opinions of Athens, please. And to get anything a teensy bit rural but near Athens, please list some good peripheral towns that are very close to Athens. My daughter, 6, wants to live on a "little farm." LOL

steph

Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 AM

I think Winterville would be the perfect match. It's a cute little rural town just about 12 mins from downtown Athens.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 AM

36 posts, read 122,462 times
and how would you imagine they'd be towards us? single mom, white, with black Haitian daughter. I don' just want silent but cold acceptance, i want people who are warm.

i want to be able to go up to a woman with beautiful dreadlocks and tell her they are awesome and that my daughter has them and then we talk about it, and she's delighted that i know what they are, even.

i can do that here.

am i being too assuming of what the racial environment would be?

steph

Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,212,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapaholics View Post
i want to be able to go up to a woman with beautiful dreadlocks and tell her they are awesome and that my daughter has them and then we talk about it, and she's delighted that i know what they are, even.

i can do that here.

do that here and you'll probably be called annoying.

because who on earth doesn't know what dreadlocks are?

it would come across as put-on to make nice.

just a tip. i don't know how it is in california, but southern people don't tend to beat around the bush.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM

a lot of university ppl live out that way... its about a 10 min drive to campus. Overall athens is a very liberal area for the south. I don't think you would have any problem there at all. Though if you went further out, you might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia