Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1cgalvin View Post
If you are a white family in the middle class why the hell would you even think about moving to Decatur?
I think the more appropriate question is why wouldn't you think about moving to Decatur? The city is a lovely community.

City of Decatur : Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
I actually like Decatur more than I do most of the other suburbs of Atlanta. Decatur has been there for a good while compared to the others. Some good history to be found in Decatur.
Unfortunately, the 'Decatur' that comes to the minds of many is the area of south DeKalb with a Decatur address (30032,30034,30035). I cringe every time a news announcer talks about a murder or carjacking on Flat Shoals or Rainbow Drive..."in DECATUR".

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,203 times
Thumbs down Macon GA

I was born and raised in Macon GA and I must say that I am eager to leave. The paper mill is gone so the smell that is mentioned above is not an issue. The lack of jobs and high crime rate are a cause for worry. Dangerous crimes occur in broad daylight; whenever there are no jobs crime always rises and over the years the job market has declined due to more corporations leaving than coming. The school system in Bibb County does not adequately prepare the students to compete in society successfully against others that have not been exposed to this school system. As a matter of fact, people that I know who have moved here has watched a decline in their children academically when they move to Macon from other places. If you are ready to retire and stay home all of the time, Macon is the place to live.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:46 AM

91 posts, read 307,207 times
Best places:
1. Peachtree City
2. Brooks
3. Dallas
4. Blue Ridge
5. Blairsville

Worst places:
1. Riverdale or Clayton County in general
2. Macon
3. Columbus
4. Brunswick
5. Atlanta

Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think the more appropriate question is why wouldn't you think about moving to Decatur? The city is a lovely community.

City of Decatur : Home
No kidding!!!!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,018 times
Default Macon is the pits

I would not even want to be there in my retirement years. I to grew up there. I have friends who are retired. Live in a nice area and have had there home broken in to and their cars broken in to. We call Macon...Lit Atlanta!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsisKnows View Post
I was born and raised in Macon GA and I must say that I am eager to leave. The paper mill is gone so the smell that is mentioned above is not an issue. The lack of jobs and high crime rate are a cause for worry. Dangerous crimes occur in broad daylight; whenever there are no jobs crime always rises and over the years the job market has declined due to more corporations leaving than coming. The school system in Bibb County does not adequately prepare the students to compete in society successfully against others that have not been exposed to this school system. As a matter of fact, people that I know who have moved here has watched a decline in their children academically when they move to Macon from other places. If you are ready to retire and stay home all of the time, Macon is the place to live.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM

25 posts, read 52,824 times
Top 5

1. Hiawassee
2. Helen
3. Mountain City
4. Young Harris
5. Dawsonville

Bottom 5

The Rest of Georgia.

Besides the NE portion of Georgia, the rest of the state has a huge crime problem and undesirables. NE Georgia may face that problem soon too. What has happened to this state?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Waycross isnt that bad at all. Adel/Sparks, East Valdosta, most of Atlanta, Albany, Dallas, they some real hoods

Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 PM

25 posts, read 52,824 times
Albany, Westside of Savannah, Southside of Columbus and the Westside of Macon are 3rd worldly.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,163 times
Do you think Lithonia is bad due to high crime or just because it's close to Atlanta? Aren't there some nice areas to live in Lithonia?

Removed - you are not allowed to post links until you have an established posting history here.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-05-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia