Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Georgia: business opportunities, traffic, real estate, downtown, dentists.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:31 PM

44 posts, read 245,486 times

Advertisements

Where are the business opportunities in South Georgia? (Below the Macon line)

We still live about 15 miles outside of Vidalia and we are not originally from here. We've been here for close to three years now and it seems that if you are not born and raised down here, that you can "forget it" when it comes to business opportunities and community involvement. I have talked with other people who have lived all over the U. S. and when they moved here for various reasons, they experienced the same problem in areas such as:

1. Trying to start a business and the business actually working.

2. Going to community and social functions and being accepted by the "old-timers".

3. Holding charitable events and participating in community programs and then being ignored as though you don't exist.

4. Finding people who own a business who actually want to "do business".

Such scenarios exist - Open from 9 - 5. Close down whenever you want to. Close early on Friday. Start counting money an hour before you close. Make up your hours of business as you go along. Store hours mean nothing at local businesses. Act as though customers are a complete bother.

South Georgia has been a total culture shock. Don't get me wrong - we have met some really nice people down here, but overall, people really stay to themselves and businesses open and close all the time.

Is Statesboro any better........or maybe Dublin? We don't want to live in a large city because of the traffic and the crime. There are positives to living in a smaller area, but this area is a real challenge.

I lived in Florida for six years and because that state has so many people coming and going, Florida seems to be a lot more accepting and of course holds a lot more opportunity. However, Florida has become very expensive unless you've owned a home there for years.

Any suggestions? We keep hearing that Statesboro is preparing for unbelievable growth in the next 10 years. Any comments? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dawg View Post

We still live about 15 miles outside of Vidalia and we are not originally from here. We've been here for close to three years now and it seems that if you are not born and raised down here, that you can "forget it" when it comes to business opportunities and community involvement. I have talked with other people who have lived all over the U. S. and when they moved here for various reasons, they experienced the same problem in areas such as:

Any suggestions? We keep hearing that Statesboro is preparing for unbelievable growth in the next 10 years. Any comments? Thank you.
I suspect that Statesboro/Savannah will continue to grow. There are a number of posts in the Savannah forum about growth in Effingham and Bryan counties. Pooler is growing. People travel between Statesboro and Savannah.

Valdosta will probably move forward more slowly.

I would consider North Georgia.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Thank you very much for your input. The North Georgia area is beautiful and we love to visit near Amicalola Falls, Helen and Dahlonega. We had looked at that area, but the real estate prices seems to be skyrocketing. North Georgia seems to be a very popular place for retirees and those looking to get out of the fast pace of Atlanta.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
IMO the sad fact is that below the Gnat Line in GA (except for the coast), the natives simply aren't used to new folks and don't know how to handle it. It's not out of meanness, it's just that they don't know any better.
If you choose a new place in GA, make sure it's one that is used to a transient population.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I would consider North Georgia.
I second this...probably your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=U...&creative=9325

Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
As someone who lives and works in the areas you are asking about I hate to inform you of this, but what you are seeking does not exist. All the progressive areas (Savannah, Warner Robbins, maybe even Valdosta- put that is probably pushing it) come with the traffic and crime you are trying to avoid. All the other smaller towns (including Dublin, since you specifically asked) seem either depressed or very conservative in regards to growth and business. Its just my opinion, mind you, but thats what I see in my travels. With the migration away from the larger cities I would suggest you look for a suburb type town and make a compromise in regards to traffic/crime and a progressive business atmosphere. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:43 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,456 times
I agree with all the posters here...maybe try cities or small towns close to the interstate I75 or even I 85 from Columbus. That way, it is easier for people to get a business...and a broader customer pool...and maybe not so much of the business practices when there isnt alot of action coming through the area. Just a thought. Or maybe a thriving college town....that might have parents coming in to drop their kids off to school and coming for events...Valdosta comes to mind...I havent been to Statesboro to give a good opinion...but if the college is decent sized and off major thoroughfare...it might be worth considering.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Default business opportunities in Dublin

I do believe Georgia's best business opportunities continue to be in metro areas. With that being said, there are people that start up businesses in rural areas and do very well with it. I think most often it lies in the choice of business, whether it is a service-type or retail-oriented business, making the right choices about where the (all-too-important-word) "demand" exists within a particular community.

Dublin has a pretty decent industrial base where services come into demand. There is also a retail base with about 70,000-90,000 regional population, since about 10 counties often use Dublin as a regional shopping center. The health fields continue to grow (with Fairview Park Hospital and the Veterans Administration as well as many private practices employing approximately 1500-2000), as is true in other areas of the Southeast.

The property values in downtown Dublin should be a pretty good value in comparison to land in metro areas. Recent additions to downtown include a candy and ice cream shop called Scoops and a soon-to-be-opened Italian restaurant. This restaurant is joining 6 other established restaurants ranging from Mexican to burgers to pizza to Southern-style. I think some of the retail opportunities downtown include opening an upscale women's shop or children's clothing store. There is a shop downtown called Cake Art, but I think there still may be an opportunity for a downtown bakery. I would not recommend a deli, since sandwich shops abound all over town. One downtown opportunity my wife mentions is a coffee shop (perhaps in the former Blackbird store, which went to Bellevue). Perhaps a bakery can be combined with a coffee shop. Remember, the niche is all-important.

One opportunity that I see is an equipment-rental business on N. Jefferson Street (near downtown) that the owner retired from at the end of 2007. This place apparently rented to industrial contractors as well as DIY-minded homeowners. I think it is an interesting opportunity combining the industrial sector with retail walk-in.

A consideration for all of small-town Georgia is avoid retailing anything that has Wal-Mart as a direct competitor. As you might suspect, you will be obliterated when going head-to-head with the behemoth.

In Dublin, your social life will grow much more quickly by joining the civic clubs or the fine arts associations. They are active and interested in new people with new ideas and will put you to work right away.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 PM

21 posts, read 90,256 times
Default Doing Business in Dirty South Georgia?

Look around you, are there ANY businesses? Are they Mom&Pops? Notice what kind of businesses are surviving. I dont know too much about it there, but I do know people that are there still need to shop, eat and sleep. Just try to assess the needs of the community. There are also business infol. for rural areas on grants.gov May God bless you into success! Peace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dawg View Post

1. Trying to start a business and the business actually working.

2. Going to community and social functions and being accepted by the "old-timers".

3. Holding charitable events and participating in community programs and then being ignored as though you don't exist.

4. Finding people who own a business who actually want to "do business".

Such scenarios exist - Open from 9 - 5. Close down whenever you want to. Close early on Friday. Start counting money an hour before you close. Make up your hours of business as you go along. Store hours mean nothing at local businesses. Act as though customers are a complete bother.

South Georgia has been a total culture shock. Don't get me wrong - we have met some really nice people down here, but overall, people really stay to themselves and businesses open and close all the time.

Is Statesboro any better........or maybe Dublin? We don't want to live in a large city because of the traffic and the crime. There are positives to living in a smaller area, but this area is a real challenge.

I lived in Florida for six years and because that state has so many people coming and going, Florida seems to be a lot more accepting and of course holds a lot more opportunity. However, Florida has become very expensive unless you've owned a home there for years.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:44 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input - it is really helpful. We found a person in Statesboro who said that their town has a projected growth to 100,000 people over the next 10 years. In addition, Georgia Tech is planning for an additional 5,000 students over the next five years. That seems to be a hopping little place.

We're still researching and will hopefully soon figure out where we're supposed to be.

A NOTE OF INTEREST FOR PHYSICIANS WHO READ THIS SITE:

We're not in the medical field, but this may help those in medical professions who are looking to relocate to a small town. Vidalia, Georgia is building a new hospital. If there is anyone who is interested in relocating to a smaller town, I can tell you that Vidalia would welcome another cardiologist. There are very few in town and if anyone needs to have a heart cath, stent or bypass surgery, they must go to Savannah or Macon.

In addition, this area could also use more Internal Medicine physicians and more dentists. Many people (to include us) go to Dublin for most of our medical needs and it would be nice to see more medical professionals migrate to this area. Most doctor's offices are always full because there aren't a lot of physicians in Vidalia.

Too bad we aren't in the medical field because there would definitely be opportunity here in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia