U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 06:19 PM

13 posts, read 17,420 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we are considering of relocating to Suwanee, GA. We visited it. We like it very much. We have many questions. Wonder if you could help us with some of them? Thank you!

1) we noticed that many of the houses are within a subdivision - governed by HOA. In general, how strict are they? For example, if I want to plant a lot of vegetables in the backyard - would I be able to do that? or if I have a big back yard, are they restriction to build a cute little tiny house?

2) any natural disaster in the area?

3) I heard greats things about it. Anyone with any dislikes or bad experience in the area?

We really like Suwanee but would like to learn more so we know what we sign up for.

thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 08:06 PM

7,911 posts, read 7,099,883 times
You probably should open up a new thread on this subject in the Atlanta forum, which covers the Suwanee 30024 zip code, and where more people who may be knowledgeable about the Suwanee area may be more likely to see your thread and respond to it.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:11 PM

7,911 posts, read 7,099,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOn08 View Post
Hi,

we are considering of relocating to Suwanee, GA. We visited it. We like it very much. We have many questions. Wonder if you could help us with some of them? Thank you!

1) we noticed that many of the houses are within a subdivision - governed by HOA. In general, how strict are they? For example, if I want to plant a lot of vegetables in the backyard - would I be able to do that? or if I have a big back yard, are they restriction to build a cute little tiny house?
1) The rules (and corresponding enforcement of said rules) can vary by HOA.

Some HOA’s can be very strict, while some others can maybe be less strict.

You will need to extensively research and consult with the HOA’s of any neighborhood you may be considering moving into to know how strictly each HOA may enforce their rules.

The reality is that there will be many HOA’s that will not allow the planting of vegetables and personal gardens in one’s backyard in the interest of maintaining high property and resale values.

You absolutely will need to know this before making a financial commitment to move into any HOA-controlled community.

Quote:
2) any natural disaster in the area?
Not really. North Georgia does not really frequently experience much in the way of natural disasters, which is one thing that makes living in North Georgia so attractive to so many.

Though, North Georgia can occasionally experience tornado activity.

The area can also sometimes experience heavy rains, including heavy rains generated by the fading remnants of hurricanes and other tropical systems that move inland off of the Gulf of Mexico often during the month of September.

Quote:
3) I heard greats things about it. Anyone with any dislikes or bad experience in the area?

We really like Suwanee but would like to learn more so we know what we sign up for.

thank you!
Suwanee is a great suburban community with a very high quality-of-life that provides great access to many high-quality amenities. Suwanee is a great choice.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM

7,158 posts, read 8,644,478 times
HOA - Check the development HOA rules in advance before buying.

How strict they are varies wildly... You really need to drive through a neighborhood and look around to see what others are and aren't doing.

They are more strict in the first 5 years and then it depends on the neighborhood. Some new developments that take several years to build out are set up to be overly strict from the beginning, so the developer can control what the already sold houses look like to new buyer's, so they set up an HOA and privatize it with an outside company enforcing compliance and sometimes they make money by collecting fines they hand out, so they can check a little too well.

Then in older neighborhoods it really amounts to how many passive aggressive the people are that join the HOA board, even then usually HOAs are often designed to expire over time 10-20 years. They are typically re-voted in, but the rules and their enforcement usually weaken. These usually do not have private companies maintaining them and it is a board of members from people who own in the neighborhood.

I'd say the majority of enforcement has more to do with what can be seen from the street or things that would generate noise/smell/traffic complaints.

If you have a private backyard that can't be seen from the street, you will not have a problem in most areas and backyard gardens are common. HOAs usually care about things ranging from consistent fencing, to where you can park your car, what kind of grass you plant, that you cut it and use an edger, and you don't hang added decorations on the building of your house or paint it a certain color.

Natural disasters-

Watch out for floodplains. Many of small creeks can sometimes briefly flood after larger thunderstorms. There is local flooding. Most development post-2005 is more cautious on where homes are built. We will get a few occasional tornados and some hail, but this is not tornado alley. The Atlanta area had 1 tornado today, far away from Suwanee, today.

Really the big problem we run into is the Southeast is the wettest part of the country. We get a fair amount of thunderstorms and have lightning and a few occasional falling pine trees.

Suwanee is typically a well-liked sought-out area that gets a great deal of attention. You will find many old posts of people asking about it in the Atlanta forum.

Old Today, 07:04 AM

4,076 posts, read 3,351,727 times
Like others said, trees are the natural disasters, they are so tall and big and some of them are bound to fall over. I just drove across Suwanee Creek this morning and it was flooded with orange water a couple feet high over 100+ feet. That's why the greenway is there and not the Subway and Wendy's; the whole of Suwanee is pretty much masterplanned to a tee. I would expect pretty involved HOAs and no to the tiny home in back.

I like how it's on the cutting edge of suburban planning, lots of well thought out ideas, bikeways but still easy driving, lots of parks nearby. It's very monoculture though in terms of everyone being a parent with kids in school, don't know if that's a pro for you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: