Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,922 times

Advertisements

My house in the St Pete area is on the market, I'm fleeing the outrageous property taxes and insurance premiums. I'm a self-employed writer, wide-open as to where I live, but I don't want my cost of living to go UP, of course, want a (relatively) crime-free area with minimal traffic and congestion. I'm ruling the Atlanta area out, unless someone can convince me otherwise (I'm keeping an open mind). I love Florida's climate, particularly the mild winters, but the price we're paying to enjoy that mildness is just too high.
How are taxes--property, sales, income--in Georgia? Florida has no state income tax, 7 percent sales tax (but NONE on food or medicine), and HIGH property tax. How does Georgia compare to that? How about the price of insuring a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 PM

351 posts, read 884,406 times
There is talk now that ga is fixin to do away with state income taxes also.Check out the augusta area

Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,131 times
The property taxes aren't too bad. About $1300 for every 100k. My mom in PA pays 3500 on a 103k house. CRAZY. I would never do that. I like the Savannah and Columbus areas. But then again, those are the only two places I've actually lived in. In Savannah, I prefer West Chatham or Effingham county. Less traffic and crime. However, there aren't many shops or restaurants yet. But there's lots of growth and building going on.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadog View Post
There is talk now that ga is fixin to do away with state income taxes also.Check out the augusta area
The State income tax breaks will only effect seniors over the age of 70 with income limits of 30,000 per year.

The state will maintain income tax at 6% gross on all income AGI over 17,000 per year. By the time deductions are taken one can average about a 4-5% net taxation on income.

Sales tax is 4% by state plus local. The average sales tax in GA is 7%. Some counties like Gwinnett are still at 6% and Cobb at 5%.

Property tax millage will vary by county. Fulton being the highest in the state due to the city of Atlanta. Gwinnett and Cobb have the lowest property tax rates in the Atlanta metro area. Avg about 2500 per 250K give or take.

Don't forget, GA also has an adval tax on auto's vs. Florida. Depending on your vehicle you can pay $150.00- $2,000 per year just to renew your tags. Again, this depends on the county. Some Floridians bringing their Vets, Beemers, Jag's, etc. can be in for a surprise.

Insurance rates on homes can average 500.00 per year and up. Car insurance is ever rising in the Atlanta area due to the number of wrecks on a daily basis and uninsured accidents mostly due to illegals being uninsured along with your DUI guys driving without insurance and license.

My brother lives in Jax and my sister lives in Naples. They did an average pro and con on financials and decided to stay where they are. All in all there isn't much of a difference by the time you lay it 100% on the line.

As my Pappy always said and I can attest due to the amount of addresses I have had over the last 20 years. The only difference is the weather, outside of that each state government will find a way to screww you equally no matter where you go. They will find a way as all good beaucratic parasites do.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpowers21 View Post
The property taxes aren't too bad. About $1300 for every 100k. My mom in PA pays 3500 on a 103k house. CRAZY. I would never do that. I like the Savannah and Columbus areas. But then again, those are the only two places I've actually lived in. In Savannah, I prefer West Chatham or Effingham county. Less traffic and crime. However, there aren't many shops or restaurants yet. But there's lots of growth and building going on.

The above can be tied into my final comment before.
For example Pa's property taxes. All in all not that much higher than metro GA.
Pa has a flat 3.07% income tax. 50% less than Ga's
Pa has a 0% tax on food and clothing vs a county average of 2% on food in and 6% on clothing in GA.
Pa does not have ad vallorum on auto's.
Pa offers not pension taxation for retired folks as does Ga.

For the NE states, Pa (outside of the fuel tax) is one of the most tax friendly states believe it or not.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 16,501 times
Now that is funny I was born and raised in Pa and that is one of the things that drove my family out of Pa is their Tax also you have to understand that Pa is a commonwealth and can tax you any way they see fit.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
The above can be tied into my final comment before.
For example Pa's property taxes. All in all not that much higher than metro GA.
Pa has a flat 3.07% income tax. 50% less than Ga's
Pa has a 0% tax on food and clothing vs a county average of 2% on food in and 6% on clothing in GA.
Pa does not have ad vallorum on auto's.
Pa offers not pension taxation for retired folks as does Ga.

For the NE states, Pa (outside of the fuel tax) is one of the most tax friendly states believe it or not.
May be some parts. I know near and around Pittsburgh, the taxes are awful. The property taxes are outrageous, your autos must get inspected yearly (not here), they have state income tax, county income tax and then city income tax. I lived in South Park, Pa. I had to pay fed taxes, pa taxes, allegheny county taxes, and then pay income tax to South Park. There is no tax on necessary food and clothing. There isn't an ad valorem tax though. I guess if you a total them up, they are probably close to each other.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
May be some parts. I know near and around Pittsburgh, the taxes are awful. The property taxes are outrageous, your autos must get inspected yearly (not here), they have state income tax, county income tax and then city income tax. I lived in South Park, Pa. I had to pay fed taxes, pa taxes, allegheny county taxes, and then pay income tax to South Park. There is no tax on necessary food and clothing. There isn't an ad valorem tax though. I guess if you a total them up, they are probably close to each other.
In Gwinnett due to Atlanta we have the lovely annual tail pipe shuffle every year at $25.00. Now if that isn't a joke I don't know what is.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormddancer View Post
Now that is funny I was born and raised in Pa and that is one of the things that drove my family out of Pa is their Tax also you have to understand that Pa is a commonwealth and can tax you any way they see fit.

I know it is a Commonwealth as is Virginia, however, as with anywhere you have to look at the location within the state. For example, folks in Rabun County will not pay near as much as I in Gwinnett.
In Pa folks in Chester County will get soaked, but Clarion County is much better off.

It's a big pile of poooop we all must make sure we sort through completely before pulling the trigger.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 19,902 times
Default Savannah

Quote:
Where is Efingham County? What are a couple of cities there?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia