Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 01:58 AM

167 posts, read 590,657 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, we were at the mercy of my brother-in-law to drive us around (should’ve rented a car in hindsight) and we didn’t get to see as much as we wanted, as he’s in the middle of a home renovation in Greensboro. What we did see left me anxious about Athens as our future home, but that feeling is mostly from the impressions of what little we saw.

When we got home after a week, I asked my husband if he would feel comfortable with me going alone to any of the places we went (gas stations, fast food) and he had to admit he wouldn’t. I’m 57 and he’s 68, so we have to be realistic that I most likely will be alone in the future so we need to find a place where I can safely travel by myself.

Add to that the fact that the housing market is insane right now and there were only 6 in our price range to even drive by to check out the areas.

Do you think we’re overreacting due to a bad trip? We witnessed a lot of angry shouting matches, fights between the homeless, and a lot of road rage on the road between Greensboro and Athens.

My brother-in-law also took us to a restaurant at his country club. I’ve discovered that I could never be one of the ladies who lunch, lol. I’d rather sit on a porch eating pulled pork sandwiches with the sauce dripping down my arm and watch the birds.

Do you feel safe in Athens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
Unfortunately, we were at the mercy of my brother-in-law to drive us around (should’ve rented a car in hindsight) and we didn’t get to see as much as we wanted, as he’s in the middle of a home renovation in Greensboro. What we did see left me anxious about Athens as our future home, but that feeling is mostly from the impressions of what little we saw.

When we got home after a week, I asked my husband if he would feel comfortable with me going alone to any of the places we went (gas stations, fast food) and he had to admit he wouldn’t. I’m 57 and he’s 68, so we have to be realistic that I most likely will be alone in the future so we need to find a place where I can safely travel by myself.

Add to that the fact that the housing market is insane right now and there were only 6 in our price range to even drive by to check out the areas.

Do you think we’re overreacting due to a bad trip? We witnessed a lot of angry shouting matches, fights between the homeless, and a lot of road rage on the road between Greensboro and Athens.

My brother-in-law also took us to a restaurant at his country club. I’ve discovered that I could never be one of the ladies who lunch, lol. I’d rather sit on a porch eating pulled pork sandwiches with the sauce dripping down my arm and watch the birds.

Do you feel safe in Athens?
Lol. What you as a West Coast resident might consider to be road rage is just simply how many motorists drive in a state like Georgia, where police generally do not pull over motorists for speeding until they are doing at least about 15-20 miles-per-hour over the posted speed limit.

(... Though the Georgia State Patrol can cite motorists for speeding at only 1 mph over the posted speed limit, but virtually never do, local police departments (city/county police and county sheriff’s departments) are prohibited by Georgia state law from citing motorists for speeding unless they are doing at least 10 mph over the posted speed limit, though most local departments give motorists an extra 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit by custom... Which may explain at least some of the driving behavior that may look like road rage to people from other parts of the country where speed enforcement may be significantly different.)

And while Athens is, of course, a college town (one of the nation’s most famous college towns) with its very notable live music scene, Athens also has a noticeable sized cluster of poverty that sometimes can generate some issues with crime and public safety.

Athens is not overwhelmingly crime-ridden, but unfortunately Athens is not a complete stranger to some incidents of crime and public safety, either.

But even with the noticeable pocket of poverty that can generate some incidents of crime at times, Athens is still generally considered to be far more desirable than not because of its status as one of the nation’s most notable college towns that is home to the flagship campus of the university system of the nation’s 8th-most populous state.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
I've never felt unsafe in Athens, but I was a visitor, not a resident. If I were to move to the area, I'd aim for Watkinsville. Close enough to take advantage of the terrific downtown, and UGA campus, but with much more of a small town feel.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:55 AM

831 posts, read 332,826 times
I don't mind visiting Athens but I wouldn't live there. There are MANY towns around Athens I would consider though. My uncle lives in Danielsville, grandmother used to live right outside of Athens until she sold and moved near Gainesville.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:56 AM

831 posts, read 332,826 times
IMO if you are looking for a nice place for an older couple I would suggest Northern Georgia. Ellijay,Clayton,Blue Ridge etc.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:43 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
I have never thought of Athens as a dangerous place, excluding the frat boys. I haven't been there since the pandemic started though. It could be what you saw out there is more of a result of the times we're living in.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 PM

202 posts, read 226,858 times
It sounds like you mostly only saw the Eastside of town which is not the best part..since you mentioned mainly being on the highway to Greensboro. Downtown is very nice as is 5 points, Prince Ave , Timothy Rd, Milledge Rd, etc. Oconee County is a wealthier auburn of Athens. I would definitely suggest renting a car and getting input from locals who actually live in Athens.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:26 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Lol. What you as a West Coast resident might consider to be road rage is just simply how many motorists drive in a state like Georgia, where police generally do not pull over motorists for speeding until they are doing at least about 15-20 miles-per-hour over the posted speed limit.

(... Though the Georgia State Patrol can cite motorists for speeding at only 1 mph over the posted speed limit, but virtually never do, local police departments (city/county police and county sheriff’s departments) are prohibited by Georgia state law from citing motorists for speeding unless they are doing at least 10 mph over the posted speed limit, though most local departments give motorists an extra 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit by custom... Which may explain at least some of the driving behavior that may look like road rage to people from other parts of the country where speed enforcement may be significantly different.)

And while Athens is, of course, a college town (one of the nation’s most famous college towns) with its very notable live music scene, Athens also has a noticeable sized cluster of poverty that sometimes can generate some issues with crime and public safety.

Athens is not overwhelmingly crime-ridden, but unfortunately Athens is not a complete stranger to some incidents of crime and public safety, either.

But even with the noticeable pocket of poverty that can generate some incidents of crime at times, Athens is still generally considered to be far more desirable than not because of its status as one of the nation’s most notable college towns that is home to the flagship campus of the university system of the nation’s 8th-most populous state.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia