Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM

104 posts, read 521,634 times

Advertisements

We've all but called the movers regarding a move to Georgia. I've been down to check out the area, which I was quite fond of. I think we've narrowed down our housing search to Flowery Branch/ Sugar Hill/ Buford area. Possibly even Acworth or Kennesaw, depending on my husbands job location (transfer), which we will find out once our final decision has been made.

I loved the area because it's affordable, cheap taxes, diverse, growing, has all the modern conveniences, major league sports (we're huge sports fans!), lots of great shopping, and we will still have 4 seasons. The HOPE Scholarship was another huge plus, as are the highly rated school systems in the areas we're hoping to relocate to.

We are a family of 5, soon to be 6 (June 2007).

Is there anything I'm overlooking that you can think of that might make me reconsider? I'm not expecting Utopia, but rather just a nice area to settle down and raise a family. We are currently in Newport News, VA. The area is nice, the crime is average, but the schools aren't so hot. To move to a good school district would mean having to spend $450k on a house around here. That's just not affordable to us, which is what is prompting this move. We also have family in Rome, GA.

Any input is very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
https://www.peachcare.org/Index.aspx?Language=English (broken link)

PeachCare for Kids began covering children in 1999, providing comprehensive health care to children through the age of 18 who do not qualify for Medicaid and live in households with incomes at or below 235% of the federal poverty level. This means a family of three can earn over $39,000 a year and a family of four can earn $47,000 a year.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,636 times
If you are looking for the best schools then they are at East Cobb. New homes can be pricey...but you can easily find an older home that should fit your family needs for alot less then $450,000.

I live in Cherokee county (Woodstock) and the schools are good in my area. You get more house for your money and does not feel as close in as East Cobb, but that is just my opinion.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
We've all but called the movers regarding a move to Georgia. I've been down to check out the area, which I was quite fond of. I think we've narrowed down our housing search to Flowery Branch/ Sugar Hill/ Buford area. Possibly even Acworth or Kennesaw, depending on my husbands job location (transfer), which we will find out once our final decision has been made.

I loved the area because it's affordable, cheap taxes, diverse, growing, has all the modern conveniences, major league sports (we're huge sports fans!), lots of great shopping, and we will still have 4 seasons. The HOPE Scholarship was another huge plus, as are the highly rated school systems in the areas we're hoping to relocate to.

We are a family of 5, soon to be 6 (June 2007).

Is there anything I'm overlooking that you can think of that might make me reconsider? I'm not expecting Utopia, but rather just a nice area to settle down and raise a family. We are currently in Newport News, VA. The area is nice, the crime is average, but the schools aren't so hot. To move to a good school district would mean having to spend $450k on a house around here. That's just not affordable to us, which is what is prompting this move. We also have family in Rome, GA.

Any input is very much appreciated.
Thanks!
No, I don't think you're missing much. Although I haven't heard you mention one major part of Atlanta living- and that's the traffic. The areas you are considering, Gwinnett County and Kennesaw/Acworth area all have terrible traffic in the morning coming down into Atlanta! But that's something hard to escape here anywhere you live. I go to school in Acworth, forget about it. It's dead, and not very diverse and pretty rural. Acworth was the meth capital of world according to stastics last year. I'm a nursing student and do rotations in the healthcare facilities in Acworth, the statistics are true, move on. Kennesaw is nice, except like I said, the traffic in the morning coming down 75south is a mess. Stick with Gwinnett. Buford/Dacula area is booming, and has lots of northern transplants. A couple from my church lives in Sugar Hill and they love it. The schools are good, but there are some that aren't, so do your homework. That area has plenty of shopping, and every time I turn around their building something.

You can find a lovely home for $250k-350k brand new depending on what subdivision/area you chose. That will get you a new, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two car garage, two story home with a yard. Not sure about square footage. You won't get four sided brick for that amount, but instead brick front with siding, three-sided brick if you're lucky. The areas you're looking at won't have much crime at all, so don't make that a huge concern.

Come on down, I think you'll enjoy Atlanta, or at least won't be total dissapointed. You sound like you just want an affordable, enjoyable, place to raise a family. I don't think you're in for any major surprises. You seem to realize that Atlanta is a major urban sprawl, and suburbia abounds here. Welcome, and good luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
No, I don't think you're missing much. Although I haven't heard you mention one major part of Atlanta living- and that's the traffic. The areas you are considering, Gwinnett County and Kennesaw/Acworth area all have terrible traffic in the morning coming down into Atlanta! But that's something hard to escape here anywhere you live. I go to school in Acworth, forget about it. It's dead, and not very diverse and pretty rural. Acworth was the meth capital of world according to stastics last year. I'm a nursing student and do rotations in the healthcare facilities in Acworth, the statistics are true, move on. Kennesaw is nice, except like I said, the traffic in the morning coming down 75south is a mess. Stick with Gwinnett. Buford/Dacula area is booming, and has lots of northern transplants. A couple from my church lives in Sugar Hill and they love it. The schools are good, but there are some that aren't, so do your homework. That area has plenty of shopping, and every time I turn around their building something.

You can find a lovely home for $250k-350k brand new depending on what subdivision/area you chose. That will get you a new, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two car garage, two story home with a yard. Not sure about square footage. You won't get four sided brick for that amount, but instead brick front with siding, three-sided brick if you're lucky. The areas you're looking at won't have much crime at all, so don't make that a huge concern.

Come on down, I think you'll enjoy Atlanta, or at least won't be total dissapointed. You sound like you just want an affordable, enjoyable, place to raise a family. I don't think you're in for any major surprises. You seem to realize that Atlanta is a major urban sprawl, and suburbia abounds here. Welcome, and good luck.

Crossing Acworth off the list now! Can't even imagine living in the meth capital of the US, espcially with 4 kids! No way! Thanks for confirming some of my other choices as good ones. I fell in love with the Sugar Hill/ Flowery Branch area, as well as Buford (or was it Dacula?). Whichever one it is with the Hamilton Mill neighborhood. It was just a really nice area, very middle class.

I've heard all about the traffic nightmares. When I came down for a visit, we didn't run into any, but I do have to admit, my visit was on the weekend, when traffic anywhere isn't usually an issue. Regardless, the area I'm moving from is also growing very rapidly, so traffic is the norm here as well.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your info, it's very much appreciated!! Good luck with your nursing career!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
If you are looking for the best schools then they are at East Cobb. New homes can be pricey...but you can easily find an older home that should fit your family needs for alot less then $450,000.

I live in Cherokee county (Woodstock) and the schools are good in my area. You get more house for your money and does not feel as close in as East Cobb, but that is just my opinion.

Thank You for your input. We had never even considered Cobb County, I think I'll go take a look at the houses right now. Excellent schools are extremely important to us.

We have friends that live right in the next town beyond Woodstock. She is the Proprietor of the Outback in that area, and they love where they live! When I was visting I spent a few hours in Woodstock and it was very pretty, with the mountains and all. One thing I have to get used to is all the hills and windy roads out there. Doesn't help with the motion sickness.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
https://www.peachcare.org/Index.aspx?Language=English (broken link)

PeachCare for Kids began covering children in 1999, providing comprehensive health care to children through the age of 18 who do not qualify for Medicaid and live in households with incomes at or below 235% of the federal poverty level. This means a family of three can earn over $39,000 a year and a family of four can earn $47,000 a year.

We currently have health insurance for our entire family through my husbands employer. It's good to know that if something happened though, that we would be able to obtain health insurance through the state if necessary.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post

I have searched the internet over and discussed this with a friend of mine involved with the DEA and cannot find ANY information to agree with the comment that Acworth was the meth capital of the world last year. Would you care to share your resources so that those of us considering this area can make a sound decision? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 25,453 times
I too question the validity of the methamphetamine claim. I don't live in Acworth, but am there a lot. It is actually undergoing a very considerable "up-scaling" in terms of homes, businesses, culture, and amenities. The "downtown" of Acworth has become one of the nicest town centers around.

I'm not a big fan of the public school system, but East Cobb is good along with parts of Gwinnett. Cobb in the northwest districts are also improving as higher SES residents are moving that way.

If you happen to be into sailing, which wouldn't be unusual for Newport News, then the northeast area is better with Lake Lanier.

But the traffic really has gotten awful here, so keep any regular commute needs strongly in mind.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindmuse View Post
I too question the validity of the methamphetamine claim. I don't live in Acworth, but am there a lot. It is actually undergoing a very considerable "up-scaling" in terms of homes, businesses, culture, and amenities. The "downtown" of Acworth has become one of the nicest town centers around.

I'm not a big fan of the public school system, but East Cobb is good along with parts of Gwinnett. Cobb in the northwest districts are also improving as higher SES residents are moving that way.

If you happen to be into sailing, which wouldn't be unusual for Newport News, then the northeast area is better with Lake Lanier.

But the traffic really has gotten awful here, so keep any regular commute needs strongly in mind.

I loved the Lake Lanier area. Flowery Branch was just so pretty, and so close to the lake!

Is the traffic just bad if you're headed downtown to Atlanta? We won't be doing that. I stay at home with my kids, and my husband is a General Manager for Panera Bread. We were told to look north of the Mall of GA for a home, so I was looking at Buford, Flowery Branch and Sugar Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia