Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 01:39 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It looks like they downgraded the proposed road from a grade-separated controlled-access spur superhighway to a limited-access highway with at-grade intersections?

It also it looks like they took the “411 Connector” name off of the proposed road in an attempt to minimize public controversy.
The article says, "Most of the intersections along the way will have multi-lane roundabouts instead of stoplights."

That should be interesting.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The article says, "Most of the intersections along the way will have multi-lane roundabouts instead of stoplights."

That should be interesting.
It has 5 roundabouts total. 3 of them directly for the freeway interchange.

There are 2 roundabouts along the main part of the route and there are 1 R-cut style intersections. There are only 3 intersections along the route and they appear to all be minor collectors.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:46 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
There are some suburban Atlanta locales that seem overrated to me, but that is probably personal bias. If I had to pick, I would go with Warner Robins as well. It is a fine suburban community that has ignored the older parts of town to the point that they are having real city problems now. I think past city leadership sort of rode their "safe with good schools" reputation too long without reinvestment to ensure the city didn't decline. Just because you are in a good place, it doesn't mean you don't have to work to stay there.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
There are some suburban Atlanta locales that seem overrated to me, but that is probably personal bias. If I had to pick, I would go with Warner Robins as well. It is a fine suburban community that has ignored the older parts of town to the point that they are having real city problems now. I think past city leadership sort of rode their "safe with good schools" reputation too long without reinvestment to ensure the city didn't decline. Just because you are in a good place, it doesn't mean you don't have to work to stay there.

10-15 years ago, I never would have guessed a "march against violent crimes in our city" would happen in WR. I see this is a recent article.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...4-fb70af5e42a1

Old 07-22-2022, 09:03 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
10-15 years ago, I never would have guessed a "march against violent crimes in our city" would happen in WR. I see this is a recent article.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...4-fb70af5e42a1
Unfortunately, yes they have had some high profile incidents lately, but it isn't new.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:46 PM

27 posts, read 21,064 times
I live in North Carolina but travel to Georgia extensively. That said I feel I can chime in objectively.

In my opinion the most overrated city in Georgia is Augusta. That'a NOT to say Augusta is a bad city or someplace undesirable. There's nothing really wrong with it. I could live there. But I think The Masters Tournament is a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that it brings a lot of people and money into the city. A curse in that its only one week a year and visitors may be underwhelmed with what they see. Some may perceive before arriving in town that Augusta is more glamorous (like Saratoga Springs or Naples) when, in fact, it's never been glamorous.

The most underrated city is Decatur. Most of it is pretty solid, attractive, and prosperous. Decatur is often overlooked. Most folks don't realize it but Decatur predates Atlanta.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I'd love to say Atlanta but Atlanta is basically carrying Georgia and is currently fixing its flaws.
I'm going to have to go with Augusta because they try and try to be "that city" and fail every time.

Ex: Port Royal Shopping Plaza and Condominiums- A failed project that could have been great
Calhoun Expressway is a unfinished stretch of expressway- and Gordon Highway could be a gateway into town (expressway) but it isn't

Augusta is really only good for the Masters...
I'm not seeing how any of those things are examples of Augusta trying and trying to be "that city."

In any case, nobody overrates Augusta at all so I don't really see how it could even qualify as an option here. Realistically, the only places that could are Atlanta, Athens, Savannah, and some suburbs like Decatur, Alpharetta, Columbia County, Pooler, etc. And from a tourist perspective, probably spots like Tybee, Helen, etc.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-29-2022 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-15-2022, 09:02 AM

55 posts, read 76,545 times
Warner Robins is definitely the most overrated. Just a bunch strip malls and chain restaurants. No downtown, no charm, no character at all . The city totally lacks the infrastructure to handle the growth. But folks think it's so much better than Macon.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:44 AM

704 posts, read 936,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Gainesville - The parts I saw were a dump!
That is a shame to hear.

I lived there during the mid-90’s in a very nice apartment with a view of Lake Lanier and the Mountains from my balcony.

Overall the town was a pleasant place to live with a nice mall and good restaurants.

They did have a strict law on the books that required Applebee’s to leave off the word bar from their sign and only restaurants could serve alcohol.

I remember going to a restaurant called Peeches at the Tracks for dancing, looks like it is a Wild Wing Cafe now.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:03 PM

202 posts, read 227,085 times
Most overrated? I would say that would have to be Augusta. Only because it hosts The Masters every year. Because of this a lot of people probably expect it to be something it is not. If your impression of Augusta is what you see from The Masters TV coverage you might expect some elegant genteel southern setting like Charleston or Savannah. But the reality is a very beautiful golf in a very mediocre medium sized city marred by poverty and urban blight and predominated by bland suburban sprawl. Atlanta would be my second most overrated but I think most people kinda know what to expect with Atlanta. Most underrated city in Georgia I believe is Athens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia