Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 02:40 PM

274 posts, read 952,361 times

Advertisements

How is the humidity in Gainesville as compared to the mountain towns? I mean, it's easy enough to look at the raw numbers, but it's more about wet bulb and how it actually feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 02:58 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,798,472 times
We relocated here from FL a few years ago. I have been very impressed with the medical community in this area.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We relocated here from FL a few years ago. I have been very impressed with the medical community in this area.
Here being the Gainesville area, or were you referring to the medical community in Blue Ridge?

Old 08-09-2022, 03:55 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
I lived part time in Blue Ridge for about 12 years in my 40s and early 50s. While I did not need medical care very often, my family and I did have an occaision or several where we had to use the Fannin hospital facility. All-in-all, we received good care and were very pleased.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:36 AM

My buddy wanted me to offer a sincere thank you to everyone who has offered insight. He doesn't deal as well with the heat as he once did, so that's a concern too as he says he's finding himself spending too much time inside during the summer. Another reason he's hoping to find some altitude. Professional credentialing varies state to state which can also be a concern, but he's thinking maybe he'll consider areas where the mountains drop down into other states as well.

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry that I just saw your post.

I'm talking about the Blue Ridge area. But we don't need serious medical assistance at this point. I had a colonoscopy at Fannin and we get MRIs and X-rays there. One thing I don't like is that radiology is now contracted out and instead of getting results in 24 hours, it can take almost a week. Ugh. But I hear that is common in a lot of places. My gastroenterologist is out of Atlanta but comes to Fannin.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I'm talking about the Blue Ridge area. But we don't need serious medical assistance at this point. I had a colonoscopy at Fannin and we get MRIs and X-rays there. One thing I don't like is that radiology is now contracted out and instead of getting results in 24 hours, it can take almost a week. Ugh. But I hear that is common in a lot of places. My gastroenterologist is out of Atlanta but comes to Fannin.
No worries at all. Thank you for the reply.

On the radiology, that actually surprises me. With the internet and increased bandwidth, in my experience, most all x-rays at the outlying hospitals are read by a Board Certified Radiologist back at the main campus. I actually know a radiologist who moved to Alaska because he can work from home and reads all the images there on his big screen monitors.

As for gastro, my mom had to go to a peripheral hospital earlier in the year via ambulance for such an issue. Unfortunately, the hospital had no gastro coverage on the weekend, and the larger campuses that did have coverage were, "closed to transfers." Had she been taken to the larger hospital ER, they would have accepted her, but since she was already in a facility, they didn't have to accept the transfer.

It's still great to hear your experiences in Blue Ridge. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:01 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
Quote:

One thing I don't like is that radiology is now contracted out and instead of getting results in 24 hours, it can take almost a week. Ugh. But I hear that is common in a lot of places.
Don't know if you get over to Blairsville or not but Hillcrest Clinic and Imaging has expanded and does all Radiology. So does Union General Hospital, which is expanded again. Built a new huge building and getting ready to add another tower and double capacity... Never had to wait on results..... Just a FYI......

Old 12-10-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Don't know if you get over to Blairsville or not but Hillcrest Clinic and Imaging has expanded and does all Radiology. So does Union General Hospital, which is expanded again. Built a new huge building and getting ready to add another tower and double capacity... Never had to wait on results..... Just a FYI......
Yes, I decided that next year when I have to go for my mammogram that I'll go someplace else. Thank you for that tip. It's ridiculous to wait almost three weeks between getting the test, being called back for anultrasound and getting the results.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:01 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
Quote:
Yes, I decided that next year when I have to go for my mammogram that I'll go someplace else. Thank you for that tip. It's ridiculous to wait almost three weeks between getting the test, being called back for anultrasound and getting the results.
The new building they just added is three floors... one is orthopedic and sports medicine (14 exam rooms, x-ray rooms, and procedure rooms.... one floor is women's health (4 OB/GYN's) exams rooms, ultrasound rooms, and procedures... and third floor I hear is where Piedmont Heart is moving. I've been very pleased with Union General except for the fact that all the growth up here in general is causing long waits whereas it used to be 15 minutes in and out for something like a mammogram and now it can take a bit longer.... Good luck. If you come over here I'll be curious what you think.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia