Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2022, 06:48 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times

Advertisements

Another hit for this area. Jobs are not easy to find in these parts. Of course, it is only 1/4 used so.....

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...d-105c7f1d0527
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 10:44 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
What a miserable job though. In the long run maybe y'all will be better off. I really like Helena and McRae whenever we drive through... it's a shame there isn't more to stop and see in the old downtown.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:05 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Prisons are usually a last resort industry for locales that aren’t attractive to otherwise mainstream industry or business.

Most of Central GA south of Macon, and most all of South GA is almost economically depressed beyond return. Except for the larger cities, and some of the smaller cities with universities like Thomasville, Milledgeville, Ft. Valley, Americus, and Tifton, there isn’t much hope for that region of the state. Heck, even among the three largest cities in Central and South GA, only Valdosta wouldn’t be considered economically stressed.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:22 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Economically depressed beyond return... not sure if I would go that far. Especially in terms of agriculture... there's a lot of soybeans, pecans, peanuts, etc. that south Georgia provides, along with a lot of pine, hemp, etc.

Though, I guess with the technological progress there's been in that field, it doesn't require so many people anymore.

They have figured out the agri-tourism angle in many places, though... maybe some of the towns could pivot in that direction?

I haven't been down that way in 10 years— how far away from "ghost town" are cities in South Georgia these days?

Old 11-03-2022, 06:53 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Economically depressed beyond return... not sure if I would go that far. Especially in terms of agriculture... there's a lot of soybeans, pecans, peanuts, etc. that south Georgia provides, along with a lot of pine, hemp, etc.

Though, I guess with the technological progress there's been in that field, it doesn't require so many people anymore.

They have figured out the agri-tourism angle in many places, though... maybe some of the towns could pivot in that direction?

I haven't been down that way in 10 years— how far away from "ghost town" are cities in South Georgia these days?
Most are continuing to lose population and the young people who can leave usually do. Dwindling tax base, fewer young creative people, and a hesitancy to try new things has amplified the decline. A few of the towns are probably past the point of return. Mostly though...a lack of good jobs is the biggest hurdle.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:52 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
The I-16 corridor is doing okay with some exceptions of course. Twiggs, Bleckley and Treutlen counties aren’t doing so well. Laurens county, home of Dublin, has stagnated, along with Emanuel and Candler counties.

Bryan county just got the state’s largest economic boost in history with the Hyundai EV plant announced and is right next door to thriving Statesboro-Bulloch county. Same with Effingham.

I suppose you could say the further East you go on 16, the better the economic conditions.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:04 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
This is one of the big challenges for the state government - to try to drive business and jobs to the areas to the entire state. Georgia has an incredible location with low property taxes and a pretty low income tax rate compared to other states. Georgia has 159 counties. From what I've seen (I could be wrong) fewer than half are prospering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia