Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 91,274 times

Advertisements

My husband may be working in Macon but it looks like my best bet is to find some place in Atlanta to work. What are the best cities in between Macon and Atlanta to live (maybe Cobb or Fulton counties)? I am trying to make the drive to work a decent one for both of us. Thank you for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buteeful View Post
My husband may be working in Macon but it looks like my best bet is to find some place in Atlanta to work. What are the best cities in between Macon and Atlanta to live (maybe Cobb or Fulton counties)? I am trying to make the drive to work a decent one for both of us. Thank you for your assistance.
Cobb and most of Fulton are north of Atlanta, not in between there and Macon.
What comes to mind is Thomaston, in Upson County...it's a rather nice community, and I actually know people that commute from there to Macon and Atlanta.

Thomaston, GA - Thomaston, Georgia

Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Well, Cobb and Fulton would work well for your commute, but hubby may tend to get a bit aggitated with his +/- 90-100 mile, 2+ hour commute........

Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 36,221 times
I have to disagree w/ LovinDecatur - Thomaston and Upson are not the place to live. I would consider Henry County - Stockbridge, McDonough, Locust Grove.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:38 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,417 times
I agree Kovac try Henry County.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemego View Post
I have to disagree w/ LovinDecatur - Thomaston and Upson are not the place to live. I would consider Henry County - Stockbridge, McDonough, Locust Grove.
I'm interested to know what you base your opinion of Thomaston on...I have friends there that are quite content with the community.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 PM

177 posts, read 972,994 times
buteeful,

There are some nice small towns and rural areas around Macon. And, there are some very nice areas in Macon as well. People on this list seem to know just about every inch of Macon and all the best places to live.

Do you feel pretty certain that you wouldn't be able to find work closer to Macon if your husband is going to be working there?

We know a number of folks who commute daily to Atlanta from places closer than Macon and HATE the commute.

All the best,
zeb

Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
I agree that you both need to be working in the Macon area, unless you can find a job in the extreme southern metro area of Atlanta, such as Henry County. However, I see a lot of problems in Henry County with runaway growth and traffic.

Thomaston or Barnesville will give you a much more community feel without the scourge of too much bustle.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 36,221 times
Thomaston Or Barnesville will not be able to provide you w/ a community feel. Both of these towns are either packed w/ trailers or starter homes. These are old "good old boy" towns and are about 10 years behind w/ even more starter homes coming. I have developed and constructed over 12,000 lots/homes over the last 10 years between Herny, Barnesville, Canton, Clayton, & Augusta. Just food for thought, if you would like an easy commute to Macon or Atlanta you can not beat Henry County. Someone said something about growth in Herny, I produce a great deal of that growth and Herny county is only 42% developed. There is 18 years of development left in Herny county and that is w/ growth contining to move forward like it did in 05 & 06.

Anyway, just a little information - Good luck w/ finding a place

Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM

177 posts, read 972,994 times
Well one person's sprawl is another person's income.

Some people consider it fortunate that the two towns mentioned, Thomaston and Barnesville ARE about 10 years behind in sprawl -- and hope they stay "behind".

zebbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia