Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 PM

11 posts, read 44,116 times

Advertisements

[font="Century Gothic"][b]Hi, I am planning on relocating from Mass to Georgia soon, I am being considered for a job in dahlonega and wanted to know if anyone had a great suggestions, as to what nearby cities would be most ideal for a young hispanic/Domiinican (dark skinned) familiy with young children to move to. Is there racism in cumming, gainesville which of the two cities would be similar to Marrietta/alpharetta? We are looking for good schools (high and middle) as well as daycare opportunities for a 1 year old. I dont mean to offend anyone but we've recently started hearing negative "red neck" comments from some people we know about Northern Georgia and want to make the best decisions for our kids. Any suggestions or ideas as to where to live if we work in dahlonega? Thank you

Last edited by moni3c; 01-05-2007 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni3c View Post
[font="Century Gothic"][b]Hi, I am planning on relocating from Mass to Georgia soon, I am being considered for a job in dahlonega and wanted to know if anyone had a great suggestions, as to what nearby cities would be most ideal for a young hispanic/Domiinican (dark skinned) familiy with young children to move to. Is there racism in cumming, gainesville which of the two cities would be similar to Marrietta/alpharetta? We are looking for good schools (high and middle) as well as daycare opportunities for a 1 year old. I dont mean to offend anyone but we've recently started hearing negative "red neck" comments from some people we know about Northern Georgia and want to make the best decisions for our kids. Any suggestions or ideas as to where to live if we work in dahlonega? Thank you
Well you may face a lot of problems here...It appears you speak English, so being hispanic and speaking good English, the people here will immediately see that your not here as 'cheap, illegal labor', so in that case you definately will not be welcomed and will be treated like crap. Now if you can pretend to not speak more than a couple words of English, and tell everybody your here to either work construction or work in the poultry industry for $5/hr 90hrs/week, then they will treat you great. Especially the ultra-conservative, Got Jesus? people, they LOVE exploiting the illegal hispanics here so they can drive 3 SUVs and live in a 400k house. As long as you don't actually expect to make this your "home", don't expect to plant your roots here, or do any of those other crazy things people like to do when they want to settle somewhere and establish their life there, then you will do just fine here!

Don't worry though, it's really has nothing to do w/being 'redneck' here, or the fact that your hispanic, really they are like that towards most people here. Most of the very narrow-minded, prejudiced people here are the super conservative, religious people which is about 95% of GA. They will dislike you for tons of reasons, different skin color is one of the least, if you aren't the correct religion for that area they hate you, even if you are the correct religion then they will hate you if you aren't religious the way they THINK you should be, if you aren't born and raised in that specific area then they will not like you, don't worry being hispanic is one of the least reasons you will be treated like crap here in the reddest of red states...Georgia!

Also Cumming is about 25% illegal, Gainesville about 50%, so won't go wrong either way!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Places like Marietta, Kennesaw, and Alpharetta are a lot more diverse than they used to be. You can go to the local Costco warehouse in Kennesaw on any given day and hear a dozen different languages spoken by customers from just as many different countries.

Cumming was until not long ago what some might call a "chicken farmer area" - there were a lot of chicken farms (still a few) and multi-generational old south families in that area. It's growing a lot but still has the "pockets of redneckness" you hear about. Gainesville/Buford is growing a bit faster and is a little more diverse.

As was said in another post - if you come here and speak reasonable English and are very friendly with the neighbors, all should be well with the folks you interact with. If you come here with a chip on your shoulder as though something is owed you (as an example, what you might get from certain cab drivers in the area), then the reactions can range from rude to verbally hostile. You don't sound like a bad person, so my guess would be you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM

11 posts, read 44,116 times
So there are alot of illegal immigrants in both areas? What about the economy? Whats closer to Dahlonege? Should I look into living in Dahlonega? Im surprised at the reality/replies on both cities. Which one is better??

Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
So there are alot of illegal immigrants in both areas? What about the economy? Whats closer to Dahlonege? Should I look into living in Dahlonega? Im surprised at the reality/replies on both cities. Which one is better??
I always thought Dahlonega would be a great area to live, if you're not having to commute to Atl, then it would be a great option. They're not nearly as flooded w/illegals as Cumming, Gainseville, etc. Although, we also thought about living in Dahlonega, but know 2 different people that have lived there and they hated it. They said the people there were just horrible, very cliquish, will only find friends if your in a certain group/class, etc. But that wasn't the main reason for not moving there, having to commute to Atl pretty much scratched that area off the list.
Just warning you though, as I've heard the same bad things about Dahlonega from totally different people.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 AM

238 posts, read 668,960 times
MONI3c~

dahlonega is a very military small town with people from all over. we moved here in the summer from florida as hubby teaches at the high school. we live in a new neighborhood that has alot of army ranger , cops , teachers and firefighters . we do not lock our house or cars and everyone is friendly and waves wether they know you or not. we have also had six familys from florida buy here . my horse is in gainesville and i do like the town and the lake . very mixed ethnic groups . i will honestly tell you that dahlonega is 98% white but most of us new comers do not have any issues with color and would welcome you. the natives are different , they tend to be wary of us and i can understand as i come from a state that has been invaded for years till they ran us natives out. what we find affordable here they do not and see their area cost going up. you will also be hard pressed to find any with a sense of humor but i just do my own thing and smile as more people move here from different areas i know there will be more like minded people that i can make friends with. please do not get me wrong they are nice just different , like they have not been exposed to much and or they are very serious types . i have not had one person ask me if i go to church ect.

cumming area is nice also , again i have seen its more white with some hispanics mostly they work at the chicken plants and i believe they come from cherokee county. the southern part of cumming is growing fast but the northern parts are still rural but not so much that its a drive to shop . we like it here very much and the cost of living is much lower then florida and we are middle class again .

if you have any more questions , i'll try to answer them ~ good luck with your hunt

Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 7,285 times
Default Love it in Cumming

I am new to the Cumming area (North Forsyth), about 5 months now, although I did live in Buckhead (closer to downtown) for 8 years before moving to Florida.

The areas you ask about are not as bad as some say in regards to racism and rednecks, 10-15 years ago I would say you would not have been welcomed at all, but the 'old' ways are pretty much gone. You will still hear some North GA old timers complaining about all the new arrivals, but take it for what it is.

There are many good schools and many beautiful subdivision in all price ranges in the cumming area and if you like outdoor activies it is really very nice.

I would say Cumming is a more upscale area than Gainesville or Bufford, just in the fact that it is growing more and the growth has been targeted towards commuters for some of the higer paying jobs in the Alpharetta area. I am surrounded by S/D that start in the 400-600's. I have friends in Buford who really like it there as well.

You will not have any problems with your commute since you will be going against traffic and there really is not that much traffic once you get out of South Forysth anyway.

Hope this helps and I hope you like the area as much as I do if you make it here.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
[font="Century Gothic"][b]Hi, I am planning on relocating from Mass to Georgia soon, I dont mean to offend anyone but we've recently started hearing negative "red neck" comments from some people we know about Northern Georgia and want to make the best decisions for our kids. Any suggestions or ideas as to where to live if we work in dahlonega? Thank you
~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a link/map of the area:
Go>>>
http://www.lake-hartwell.com/recreation/activity.htm

If possible visit the area for a week or two.

Many 'Boomers' have moved into this area and tourism is a major industry--thus attitudes are changing.

I happened to travel through the area over the holidays and there is a lot of commercial growth/change. Cumming and Gainesville are located on/near Lake Lanier--upscale subdivisions abound. More transplants than natives I would think.

Around Dawsonville there is a mall with designer shops. This used to be farmland/pastures--about a decade ago. )

Good Luck.

SLS

Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 29,166 times
My BF was going to school in Dahlonega and I went up there and hated it. He hated it to. He is hispanic, and was treated horribly. Yes, there are alot of rednecks. There are a few hispanics in the area, and it IS growning, but trust me when I tell you the locals will do all they can to get you out. Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle. I know Gainesville has a large hispanic population and Dalton. But it mostly illegals. You would probably like it in Alpharetta. Kinda a richy area, but very diverse. Anything more than 30 miles north of atlanta, I would stay away from!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
Hello, so my questions are also about the Dahlonega area, we are a black military family and have been assigned to the Camp there, and my Soldier is very concerned with the racist acts that has transpired in the past in Forsythe County, and I want to know does the racist behavior still exisit. I see that it is only about 4% black, but even with that low number I just want to know if my family will be safe and welcome there. My husband has deployed twice and returned with his life and we just want to opportunity to not have to deployed again for awhile and live in peace, so I was wondering if someone(s) could please tell us about the area, the schools, and the attitudes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia