Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:38 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptwnRsdnt View Post
At the current percentage growth, it would take maybe 50+ years for Savannah to reach the same population as Augusta.

To respond to the point above, Savannah did add more in raw numbers, just not enough to overtake Augusta any time soon.

One way it could happen in just a couple decades is with the increased economic ties between Savannah and its CSA, which totals 640,193 as of 2023 and grew over 5% in 3 years. With all of the development in the region up and down I-16 Savannah and Statesboro, especially Hyundai/suppliers 15k+ jobs coming to the area, you never know. At one point, Augusta's MSA included just Richmond and Aiken counties, then added Columbia, then the smaller counties.
I know that Savannah added more in raw numbers and never said otherwise. My point was to agree with the previous poster. I prefer looking at raw numbers over percentages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 07:45 PM

121 posts, read 109,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptwnRsdnt View Post
At the current percentage growth, it would take maybe 50+ years for Savannah to reach the same population as Augusta.

To respond to the point above, Savannah did add more in raw numbers, just not enough to overtake Augusta any time soon.

One way it could happen in just a couple decades is with the increased economic ties between Savannah and its CSA, which totals 640,193 as of 2023 and grew over 5% in 3 years. With all of the development in the region up and down I-16 Savannah and Statesboro, especially Hyundai/suppliers 15k+ jobs coming to the area, you never know. At one point, Augusta's MSA included just Richmond and Aiken counties, then added Columbia, then the smaller counties.
That's an incredible big if. Not because it won't happen but because like I said metro Augusta is not stagnant or losing population. It's growing at good rate as well. Just not that crazy number like savannah. Alot can happen in 50 years. Can savannah continue this extreme population growth that's a tall order. it probably won't happen in our lifetimes unless you are in your early 20 twenties. The Thing with the csa which I believe will never happen because Statesboro is its own thing. And is too far to be included in the Savannah metro. Even with the Hyundai plant in Pembroke with its suppliers They will more closely associate with the Savannah metro. And will continue and further the development of pooler and the areas in-between pooler and the plant on interstate 16. There won't be enough commuters to justify that if any at all to Statesboro because its its own thing and too far away to commute. Augusta does not have a csa. But will continue to add smaller counties around the area. Just recently added Lincoln county And soon will add Jefferson county in the not to distant future. With all being just under a 35 min drive from Richmond County. Also Augusta will continue to add people because of ever increasingly growing medical school the only public one in the state will have plenty of job opportunities for when those students graduate and find a job to stay in the area. And the different outpatient medical practices that pop up all over . Also with Columbia county adding its new level 2 trauma hospital with medical offices. The continued growth will probably make Grovetown boom even more on that's side of the metro. With Fort Eisenhower ramping up with more longterm government contractor cyber security jobs With the NSA of Georgia and partnering with school to assist in such a program. With more people continuing to come from the Washington Dc area. Because of the lower cost of living. And the new large gate 6 off the base. Pushing even more development and housing further into Columbia county around that area and even possibly into Harlem Ga in the not too distant furture. A better question would be could Savannah add Jasper county because it literally right there. Across the river. Like Aiken county is to Augusta. And in turn add Beaufort because jasper is apart of the Hilton head metro area.

Last edited by All In for Augusta; 03-19-2024 at 08:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2024, 07:49 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM0984 View Post
Hard to believe Statesboro is included with Savannah but guess it is. There is a huge swath of nothing for at least an hour between both cities.
That's going to be changing quickly thanks to Hyundai. I could easily see endless suburbia along eastern portions of I-16 developing over the next 20 years.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:52 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
Augusta is not in same category as Columbus. Yes Augusta is consolidated like Columbus with Richmond County even though not entirely because of the cities of Hephizibah and Blythe in Richmond County. But the Augusta area as whole is the 2nd largest in Georgia by a mile. Most of the residents new residents coming to Augusta move to the bedroom counties next to Richmond. In Columbia county in Georgia and Aiken county in South Carolina. To large bedroom communities of Augusta. Outside of chatham county there is no other large counties like Aiken and Columbia. Bryan and effingham counties just can't compare. Like mason said city populations really don't matter. It's more about metro areas. Also if we look at the estimates savannah metro only slightly outpaced Augusta metro in terms of new residents.
Savannah is handicapped somewhat by swampland on the SC side. I know that Bluffton/Hilton Head are the fastest growing parts of SC. Very close to Savannah, but not included in even its CSA.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:21 PM

121 posts, read 109,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Savannah is handicapped somewhat by swampland on the SC side. I know that Bluffton/Hilton Head are the fastest growing parts of SC. Very close to Savannah, but not included in even its CSA.
Ya thinking that exact thing. There should be enough viable land that's not swamp for that to happen. Especially off interstate 95 over by Hardeeville less swamp up there. Then the part closer to downtown Savannah and the bridge I think thats what more likely to happen then statesboro. Too far to be included. If statesboro was under 35 min away then ya it could happen buts its not. An hour is to far no matter how much development can pop up. Columbia sc is roughly an hour from Augusta. And their metro has over 800000 people. Columbia and Augusta will never be one msa let alone csa because of the geographical distance between the the two metros. Same could be said for statesboro and Savannah. And in my opinion there probably far more people who commute between Augusta and Columbia sc then Statesboro and savannah.

Last edited by All In for Augusta; 03-19-2024 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 05:41 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Not really the fastest growing part. Greenville, Charleston, and Myrtle are adding more people by far.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:28 AM

64 posts, read 68,382 times
I don't doubt that Augusta will continue to attract new residents because of the various job opportunities, i.e. the medical college, cyber security. It surpassed Savannah in terms of population growth for many decades until recently because of this.

The fact that many people can choose to work from anywhere since COVID has really been a boon to Savannah and made it one of the fastest growing areas in the state. For what it lacked in job opportunities, the character and charm of the city has really been a major draw for new residents.

Pair that with one of the state's largest economic engines (the port) that has spurred so much development, the city is on a new track for growth. The Savannah Harbor-Interstate 16 Corridor Joint Development Authority that landed the Hyundai project includes Bryan, Bulloch, Chatham and Effingham counties. Because of this type of regional planning, and associated development because of the port, it's entirely viable for these counties to become increasingly interconnected to form a larger MSA.

Suppliers are in all of these counties, including Bulloch, and from Statesboro/Bulloch to the plant is roughly 30 minutes. Additional, I know they are trying to recruits lots of veterans from Ft. Stewart for all of these new jobs, so Hinesville/Liberty county (also roughly 30 min and already in CSA) could be in the mix as well.

I am curious to see what happen with Jasper in the coming decades. Hardeeville is only 15 minutes from Pooler, and you'd think with all the jobs already at Gulfstream, there would be many commuters, but somehow it's still more connected to Hilton Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
Ya thinking that exact thing. There should be enough viable land that's not swamp for that to happen. Especially off interstate 95 over by Hardeeville less swamp up there. Then the part closer to downtown Savannah and the bridge I think thats what more likely to happen then statesboro. Too far to be included. If statesboro was under 35 min away then ya it could happen buts its not. An hour is to far no matter how much development can pop up. Columbia sc is roughly an hour from Augusta. And their metro has over 800000 people. Columbia and Augusta will never be one msa let alone csa because of the geographical distance between the the two metros. Same could be said for statesboro and Savannah. And in my opinion there probably far more people who commute between Augusta and Columbia sc then Statesboro and savannah.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:26 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Looking at these growth numbers, all five major metros in the state should be pushing hard for the construction of I-14. Every city has something tangible to gain from the project, and yet you see things like this:

Georgia DOT: I-14 project not a good investment

Nonsense, just build the road!

A direct interstate link between Augusta and Savannah should also be built. They're two cities of 500k+ located 100 miles from each other. They're both growing like weeds. One is a major seaport, the other is a major medical school. It will establish an alternate route to Atlanta besides ultra-congested I-75. Just connect them ffs.

Who cares if both projects will cost a few billion dollars? The state has accidentally created a huge surplus and is now contemplating a lot of rebates when the infrastructure is sorely lacking.

Last edited by testa50; 03-22-2024 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia