Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 AM

562 posts, read 1,784,347 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving from North Carolina to an Atlanta suburb (Newnan) and was wondering what auto insurers people are using. I am currently with geico and the move is doubling my rates from $400 for 6 months to $800! Anyone have a similar experience? Why are rates so high in atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Why are rates so high in atlanta?
Because people drive like morons and the amount of damage being paid for by insurance is high. The roads are congested, many people drive expensive cars that cost a lot to repair, and drivers here are some of the worst I've ever encountered. That causes insurers to increase premiums to align with the risk.

When I moved here from the Boston area, I saved about 20%. For me, car insurance is cheaper in Atlanta. It's all where you're coming from and what you're relative experience has been.

BTW, I use State Farm.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 PM

767 posts, read 2,282,349 times
In 2005 I lived in Carrollton, Ga and I changed from State Farm to Allstate (car and homeowners) and cut my bill by about 30%. I would shop all the insurance companies.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 PM

263 posts, read 794,143 times
We used to have State Farm but for some reason their rates jumped for us several years ago, so we are now with Allstate and have nothing but good things to report!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 PM

389 posts, read 1,982,398 times
i just transferred from allstate to state farm simply because my rate was cut in half. when i cancelled my policy to allstate they did not give me my money back i paid them when i did not get into any accident the whole time i was insured by them. is it really that sucky? i feel i am throwing away my money here more like burning it. i honestly feel ALL kinds of insurance is a scam you know. prove me wrong. i mean we dont give them a hard time paying on time but there are many nightmare experiences when it is time to claim. how unfair.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times
A lot of insurance cost has to do with the specifics of the person and car/house being insured. Your personal credit history, driving history, claims history, location, age, etc. all play a factor in rates.

The other thing that you have to be careful about is that some insurance companies will quote you basic coverage which costs less, so you have to be sure that you compare apples to apples. Being cheaper is no good if the difference is lower coverage or a higher deductible.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 PM

well i got 500 deductible comprehensive on all state amounts of 300k it has rental coverage 900 max

state farm 250 deductible comprehensive amounts of 100/200/300k<< this confuse me.. can some one explain?
it has rental coverage 600 max

so you really are not given a refund.. zero..none.. when u cancel a policy?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:49 PM

31 posts, read 154,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
well i got 500 deductible comprehensive on all state amounts of 300k it has rental coverage 900 max

state farm 250 deductible comprehensive amounts of 100/200/300k<< this confuse me.. can some one explain?
it has rental coverage 600 max

so you really are not given a refund.. zero..none.. when u cancel a policy?
you should be given a refund on the unused portion of the premium.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 PM

well i pay monthly.. every 14th of the month.. i canceled yesterday. i was ask when do i want it canceled so i said the next pay date. after i canceled. i went to statefarm and i was asked if i want it to be effective that day i said yes.. so technically i am covered by both of them .. so i guess i have no refund to expect from allstate then... hmm.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,793 times
Angry health insurance

AIG has been the best car insurance for us living in New Jersey and Utah; but what every you, do NOT get a quote with eHealth Insurance. This company is truly low at sneaking in "short term" insurance and charging when you just want a quote. What is awful is that you don't even you that you've been cheated until your credit card statement arrives. They insist that a credit card number is given to get "started" in the application process. If anyone knows how to get this company off out of the insurance business, I would like to know. I am working with an attorney to begin a suit against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia