Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
The most obvious reason for this is to connect the "Lovejoy to Atlanta" line with a long-proposed "Macon to Atlanta airport" line.
I've never even heard of a Macon airport to Atlanta deal before. That one must have died on the coals a while back. For a good while (and supposedly still) they keep talking about a "maglev" high speed train that would run from the Atlanta airport to the Chattanooga airport. But they've never really been able to get that thing off the ground. Supposedly the Chattanooga Mayor is still hip on it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM

102 posts, read 375,346 times
I'm in one of those rural pine areas of the state. I think it would be nice to have a commuter train that runs from here to there to give US down here a alternative transportation method other than driving a car and please dont say we could walk or ride a bike it is too hot and too far. And Im not meaning a small rail that runs 12 miles and turns around but one that could take you from one area of the state to the next. Heck down here there are only two interstates and they are only north/south bounds, no east/west bounds!

In put wanted!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:24 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willacoochee View Post
I'm in one of those rural pine areas of the state. I think it would be nice to have a commuter train that runs from here to there to give US down here a alternative transportation method other than driving a car and please dont say we could walk or ride a bike it is too hot and too far. And Im not meaning a small rail that runs 12 miles and turns around but one that could take you from one area of the state to the next. Heck down here there are only two interstates and they are only north/south bounds, no east/west bounds!

In put wanted!

I agree with you. I live in the City of Atlanta and am able to take public transit, but I often worry about those most effected by the gas prices. Those in parts of the state without access to public transportation. I would be happy to see my tax dollars benefit EVERYONE in the state.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
Is there anyway that we can vote for this?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhols477 View Post
Is there anyway that we can vote for this?
The only vote coming up that involves public voting is on July 15th in Gwinnett County. It's a "test vote" (non binding) to see if they will support a 1-cent sales tax to extend Atlanta's MARTA rail into Gwinnett. If they vote "yes", a real vote will be put on the next ballot (efficient way of doing things - not).

Other than that, you could always contact the Governor and Lt. Governor's offices and voice your opinion on the topic. In the past, Perdue has publicly shown a large lack of support for public transit issues, but recently has some small about-face turnaround comments on it due to what some feel are political reasons. The Lt. Governor seems a bit more open to the idea of transit options.

Perdue's contact page: georgia.gov - Contact Governor Perdue (http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html - broken link)

Cagle's contact page: georgia.gov - Contact Us

Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I agree with you. I live in the City of Atlanta and am able to take public transit, but I often worry about those most effected by the gas prices. Those in parts of the state without access to public transportation. I would be happy to see my tax dollars benefit EVERYONE in the state.
Like you I am 100% happy to see my tax dollars benefit EVERYONE in the state! We are all Georgians and should want to help each other out!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
You have got to be kidding. Take away Metro Atlanta's tax base and you would have a state at least as poor as Mississippi. I am sick of the the tail wagging the dog in this state. I am sick of 150 + so-called counties, many of which are little more than pine trees and dirt, holding the economic engine of the state hostage. It is an absurd system, and needs to be changed.
There is this myth out there that somehow metro Atlanta get more revenue from the state then it pays via taxes. It is actually quite the opposite. It's the podunk counties and cities like Augusta (heavy with state institutions and government workers) that get more from the state then they pay in. I would be in favor of creating a special tax district in metro Atlanta.. where money collected in that tax district would stay in that district to build new roads, improve and expand mass transit instead of the money going to build a boll weevil museum in South Georgia or a Golf and Gardens in Augusta.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
I would be in favor of creating a special tax district in metro Atlanta.. where money collected in that tax district would stay in that district to build new roads, improve and expand mass transit instead of the money going to build a boll weevil museum in South Georgia or a Golf and Gardens in Augusta.
You're missing the point that METRO Atlanta, the counties adjacent to Fulton, have had the chance over, and over, and over, and over, and over again to join MARTA and the mass transit system over the last 30+ years!!! And they have chosen to WALK AWAY! So do not blame what you call "podunk Georgia" for the failure of METRO to have a vision for itself.
As atlantagreg has mentioned, Gwinnett has an opportunity to vote (though non-binding) in a way that sends the local pols the message that they are willing to support the tie-in to MARTA. Another chance. YET AGAIN.

While attempting to place blame, do not blame state-wide powers who refuse to force the locals to do something they do not want for themselves!

While I admire what Atlanta achieves economically for the state, when retirees move in from out of state, they choose overwhelmingly what you call "podunk" Georgia to settle in as their personal paradise (when they are no longer dependent upon a job). Amazing!

So you might want to reconsider what you think of as the "true attraction" and allure of Georgia.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
apparantly you missed the point of the post. The fact is.. contrary to popular belief, metro Atlanta and its taxpayers subsidize the rest of the state.. not the other way around. So why not keep metro Atlanta tax dollars in metro Atlanta.. and if Cordele wants to build a Watermelon museum, or Augusta wants a golf hall of fame let them raise the money locally to pay for, instead of getting the general assembly to write them a check. As for MARTA, it is indeed wholly supported at the local level..it receives no state revenue, and yes.. certain metro counties have resisted allowing it in, but with the oil crisis and gas prices as high as they are, that may well change. A better way to fund an operate MARTA and expand commuter rail (where it is needed most) is to have a metro Atlanta special tax district for the purpose of funding transportation and transit projects in that region, rather than having to go to the state legislature to ask for the money every year. I lived in Northern Virginia for several years and they have the same issue.. it's the economic engine of the state and accounts for a third of the state population, but its infrastructure needs are continually neglected by the state government more interested in funding their special interest pork barrel boondoggles in theirneck of the woods.. so now there is serious talk of creating a Northern Virginia special tax district for the purpose of building new roads and transit infratstructure in that heavily growing part of the state. This is an idea Georgia needs to consider emulating.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM

I guess I live in one of those "podunk counties". Just because we are more rural don't mean we ain't as good... There's no need for name callin. (I think all of the counties contribute to our state in each of their own way.) To keep fairness are you saying Atlanta keeps their tax monies and us podunkies keep our tax monies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia