Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 AM

103 posts, read 327,493 times

Advertisements

Ok All

I have a friend that moved to College Park in July. She is renting a house in Historic College Park. She said that she is paying $900 for a two bedroom home that is dilapadated(built in the 60's). The owner is planing to sell so she has to move. But this is not the issue. The issue is that she has been there for 3 months and has not been able to find a job. In talking to her I found out that she used to work at Home Depot in Philly as a front end manager and she also worked in a bank, so she has customer service skills. But I do not understand why she has not been able to find a job. This is very unsettling to me. I mean, I thought that we might have the upper hand by coming from another state that is a bit more fast paced. But I guess that is not the case. Now, when I come down there, I will not be getting a transfer from my job, I work in the Apparel Industry in Customer Service and Logistics, and since there is no apparel market in GA I am going to have to do something else. But seeing that she cannot find a job. I am thinking what might happen to me.

Pls give me some insight on this. Pls...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 06:30 PM

233 posts, read 906,484 times
Default Recruiters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
Ok All

I have a friend that moved to College Park in July. She is renting a house in Historic College Park. She said that she is paying $900 for a two bedroom home that is dilapadated(built in the 60's). The owner is planing to sell so she has to move. But this is not the issue. The issue is that she has been there for 3 months and has not been able to find a job. In talking to her I found out that she used to work at Home Depot in Philly as a front end manager and she also worked in a bank, so she has customer service skills. But I do not understand why she has not been able to find a job. This is very unsettling to me. I mean, I thought that we might have the upper hand by coming from another state that is a bit more fast paced. But I guess that is not the case. Now, when I come down there, I will not be getting a transfer from my job, I work in the Apparel Industry in Customer Service and Logistics, and since there is no apparel market in GA I am going to have to do something else. But seeing that she cannot find a job. I am thinking what might happen to me.

Thanks
I moved to NC without a job, and I worked with recruiters and continued my job search on my own. If you deal with recruiters, you will be able to get an idea of the market, and how you may be compensated.

Good Luck!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 PM

29 posts, read 203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
Ok All

Thanks
I'm sorry I don't have any info on apparel industry jobs in GA (honestly, I'm not sure they exist here like they do in other cities) but your friend who worked at Home Depot may be interested to know that they are building a brand new HD store on Tara Blvd. in the Lovejoy area. I'm assuming the hiring process either hasn't started yet or just began, as they just erected the frame of the building. She may want to check it out asap and/or try to get a transfer there.

I do agree w/the previous poster on trying to work with recruitment agencies here but be careful because unlike other major cities, they don't like you dealing with several agencies, just one & if they find out you deal with more than one you run the risk of becoming blacklisted. Yes unfortunately, I am serious. I have a friend who's had this problem. Good luck to both of you!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,297 times
My husband and I have been here for a year and I still don't have a job yet.
I have been in the Customer Service field for at least 14 years.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:15 PM

48 posts, read 222,416 times
are the jobs that bad? i don't understand how it could take so long to find employment. I was wondering how long in advance i should start applying for employment before i relocate from florida and this post scared me! i am a private banker and my husband a mortgage broker. i hope we can find something...

Old 10-30-2006, 01:37 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times
Can not be that bad, right? I switched my job July of last year and it only took me a couple of weeks.

Best luck to you all who still look for a job.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,705 times
I have just recently gotten out of the army and relocated to Roswell Georgia, I have 5yrs in H/R and still have not been hired. I went to a last resort and used a temp agency, it is not the greatest but it is something, some of these temp agencies even offer health insurance and dental coverage. Express Personnel is the temp agency I went through, there number is 678-461-7600 they have several offices throughout Georgia. I hope this helps and GL!!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 AM

273 posts, read 1,754,888 times
I find it strange that everyone who can't find a job blames the job market. Has anyone considered the importance of resumes, personal appearances, ability to answer interview questions, etc? Maybe you don't have the exact skills the employer is looking for? Maybe the employer is having a bad day and passed you up even though you are the best candidate? Maybe you are a good candidate but the best one?

I'm not saying anyone here is unqualified or can't perform in an interview, I'm just saying that maybe nothing is wrong with the job market.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
relocating to anyplace in the United States without having a job lined up is risky.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
relocating to anyplace in the United States without having a job lined up is risky.
ITA.

However, I have to add when my husband has been job hunting (I've had the same job for basically 16 years and it moves with me) he had his resume out for 2 years with NO BITES. He finally decided to have a resume service do it and he had at least 20 calls a day for the first week, then it "slowed" to 10 a day. Granted he was looking in a few different states, but he did get an offer within a month of looking complete with relocation package, etc. Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: