Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 PM

8 posts, read 10,650 times

Advertisements

I am a Detroiter who is seriously thinking of moving to Georgia. I live in a middle-class neighborhood in Detroit and some family members believe that Columbus, and Macon are nice areas. I like Diverse communities. Can anyone suggest other cities in Georgia that have a family community feeling to it? I would Rent a house before Purchasing one. What is the average rent for a 3 bedroom home? Is it over $1100.00 per month? Thank you for your help. I was told to post this on the Georgia Thread for more advice.
[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 AM

511 posts, read 2,476,417 times
Warner Robins should be good.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,023 times
You would enjoy Columbus. I have a few friends who moved here from Detroit. They really like it down here. If you need more info on Columbus let me know.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 AM

104 posts, read 139,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
You would enjoy Columbus. I have a few friends who moved here from Detroit. They really like it down here. If you need more info on Columbus let me know.
I agree 100 percent......If you have enjoyed living in Detroit you will definitely be at home in Columbus although on a smaller scale but will eventually catch up.

Have a great day and smile.....

Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,023 times
Diamond12,

Don't listen to masternegative...oops....I mean masterbucket. His opinion is not reflective of anything.

I will be glad to help you with info on the city.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond12 View Post
I am a Detroiter who is seriously thinking of moving to Georgia. I live in a middle-class neighborhood in Detroit and some family members believe that Columbus, and Macon are nice areas. I like Diverse communities. Can anyone suggest other cities in Georgia that have a family community feeling to it? I would Rent a house before Purchasing one. What is the average rent for a 3 bedroom home? Is it over $1100.00 per month? Thank you for your help. I was told to post this on the Georgia Thread for more advice.
[+] Rate this post positively
Columbus is a very nice city.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,139 times
Default You should choose a metropolitan suburb

McDonough, GA, Hamption, GA Stockbridge, GA - you can rent a 4 bedroom for $1200.00-$1400.00

PamelaB
workathomeunited.com/income

Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,150 times
I'm assuming that you don't want to live in a city similar to Detroit.... that would rule out places Like Disgusta and Macon..which are essentially little Detroits. Columbus is better, but if you want lots of diversity, your best bet is metro Atlanta, but you won't be able to rent a house there in the price range you have . Athens is another good option.. It's a college town so it has lots of diversity and is just overall a very pleasant place to live.. great restaurants, and lots of cultural activities.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
I do love Athens, but diverse it is not! 92% of it is either Black or White. That is not diversity. By the way city-data.com says 25% American Indian. NOT!!!!!!! Add up all the ethnic groups, and they add up to over 126%!! (Even the disclaimer about Hispanics being of other ethnic groups cannot cover up the horrible arithmetic.)

If you want to claim that UGA adds lots of diversity, the university is 85% white, 6% black, 6% Asian, 3% Hispanic. This is well off the national average and WAY OFF the GEORGIA AVERAGE for diversity.

So-----------what diversity are you talking about? Or do you just like the shops downtown? Diversity of activities may be what you are focusing on. But don't mislead people who have never seen the place, which is most critical to the success of this forum actually helping people.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 10,650 times
ATLCOL1: It is soooo refreshing to talk to a person who has knowledge of the Columbus area!! Athens is good also per several people here. But, I have heard so many good things about Columbus, that I am planning a trip there this summer. Tell me ATLCOL1 do they Dance the Ballroom in Columbus? It is such a pretty dance. I am sure that I am older than you are...I am in my late 40's but here the Ballroom is a popular dance for people of all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia