U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
 
13 posts, read 79,510 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I've been looking into the possiblity of relocating to a city that is more compact and offers better walkability and public transit than my current location. FYI I currently live in the Columbus, GA area.

I'm looking for a city with a lot of character (i.e. old architecture, good local resturants, etc.) but that has a better transit system and more walkable layout than Columbus. It would also be a plus if the local schools were not extremely rough (as I am a teacher).

Ideally, I'd like a situation where I could walk to or use transit to get to work and do shopping, eating, etc. and only drive when I needed to go further out or out-of-town. Preferably, I'd also like an area where transit is used by a wider range of people than it is in Columbus, (i.e. by other professionals and not just by those that can't afford or are unable to drive).

In terms of cost of living, etc... It would be great if I could make due on a teacher's salary and still be able to afford deacent housing, etc. I know that could be a stretch in an area like Atlanta, etc. where housing is so incredibly expensive... FYI, although cities can add stipends, salary is usually around 40k for teachers.

Although not really a deciding factor, it would be great if the area was fairly artsy and/or pet-friendly, as those are two of my interests. But that would just be the icing on the cake. Great parks and rec. activities would also be a big bonus. A lower crime rate would also be nice, but I am realistic in that respect.

I know that this is asking a lot for the south east, but I'm hoping that I won't have to move north to find what I'm looking for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM
 
913 posts, read 2,806,558 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by art-teacher View Post
Hey folks,

I've been looking into the possiblity of relocating to a city that is more compact and offers better walkability and public transit than my current location. FYI I currently live in the Columbus, GA area.

I'm looking for a city with a lot of character (i.e. old architecture, good local resturants, etc.) but that has a better transit system and more walkable layout than Columbus. It would also be a plus if the local schools were not extremely rough (as I am a teacher).

Ideally, I'd like a situation where I could walk to or use transit to get to work and do shopping, eating, etc. and only drive when I needed to go further out or out-of-town. Preferably, I'd also like an area where transit is used by a wider range of people than it is in Columbus, (i.e. by other professionals and not just by those that can't afford or are unable to drive).

In terms of cost of living, etc... It would be great if I could make due on a teacher's salary and still be able to afford deacent housing, etc. I know that could be a stretch in an area like Atlanta, etc. where housing is so incredibly expensive... FYI, although cities can add stipends, salary is usually around 40k for teachers.

Although not really a deciding factor, it would be great if the area was fairly artsy and/or pet-friendly, as those are two of my interests. But that would just be the icing on the cake. Great parks and rec. activities would also be a big bonus. A lower crime rate would also be nice, but I am realistic in that respect.

I know that this is asking a lot for the south east, but I'm hoping that I won't have to move north to find what I'm looking for.
Athens comes to mind, other than that there isn't much. Atlanta has MARTA, but it is limited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
JLA
 
627 posts, read 2,070,626 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by art-teacher View Post
Hey folks,

I've been looking into the possiblity of relocating to a city that is more compact and offers better walkability and public transit than my current location. FYI I currently live in the Columbus, GA area.

I'm looking for a city with a lot of character (i.e. old architecture, good local resturants, etc.) but that has a better transit system and more walkable layout than Columbus. It would also be a plus if the local schools were not extremely rough (as I am a teacher).

Ideally, I'd like a situation where I could walk to or use transit to get to work and do shopping, eating, etc. and only drive when I needed to go further out or out-of-town. Preferably, I'd also like an area where transit is used by a wider range of people than it is in Columbus, (i.e. by other professionals and not just by those that can't afford or are unable to drive).

In terms of cost of living, etc... It would be great if I could make due on a teacher's salary and still be able to afford deacent housing, etc. I know that could be a stretch in an area like Atlanta, etc. where housing is so incredibly expensive... FYI, although cities can add stipends, salary is usually around 40k for teachers.

Although not really a deciding factor, it would be great if the area was fairly artsy and/or pet-friendly, as those are two of my interests. But that would just be the icing on the cake. Great parks and rec. activities would also be a big bonus. A lower crime rate would also be nice, but I am realistic in that respect.

I know that this is asking a lot for the south east, but I'm hoping that I won't have to move north to find what I'm looking for.
You might want to try Boston or Philadelphia. There is not a city in the Southeast that fills those requirements, not even Atlanta or Charlotte. We love our cars far to much to give them up for the transit systems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
 
13 posts, read 79,510 times
Reputation: 23
ATLCOL1- Thanks, I'll look into Athens...It has the added bonus of a PhD program in my area at UGA, which is nice and a "college" atmosphere would actually be a plus for me, as long as my other criteria are met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
You might want to try Boston or Philadelphia. There is not a city in the Southeast that fills those requirements, not even Atlanta or Charlotte. We love our cars far to much to give them up for the transit systems.
That's what I was afraid everyone would say If I could afford to live in Boston or Phillie on a teacher's salary that might work, but I'm afraid that I'd end up only being able to afford a tiny place in a bad section of town in either city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM
 
1,072 posts, read 1,770,362 times
Reputation: 85
The only places in Georgia I can think of would be Athens and or Atlanta (especially Decatur).. that's about it. Savannah is pedestrian friendly (the historic district anyways).. and has a decent bus system. You are just not going to find many public transit friendly cities in the southeast. Check into Portland, OR or Washington, DC metro area (esp arlington and alexandria).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 PM
 
70 posts, read 279,726 times
Reputation: 37
Default Dear Art Teacher

Hi aart teacher, We have lived in Athens a little over a year. It has lots of art, culture and is a very walkable city, but I don't know much about public transportation. There is some crime, but I haven't witnessed any of it - just read about it in the paper. Before moving way up north, I would consider Athens. Michael near Athens
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Norman, OK
3,479 posts, read 6,773,833 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by art-teacher View Post
That's what I was afraid everyone would say If I could afford to live in Boston or Phillie on a teacher's salary that might work, but I'm afraid that I'd end up only being able to afford a tiny place in a bad section of town in either city.
I don't mean to call people out on this, but believe or not, there are teachers in Boston and Philadelphia and they live in or near the city and not in bad sections of town. So I don't understand the argument of "if I could afford in Boston on a teacher's salary."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM
 
13 posts, read 40,922 times
Reputation: 15
Try downtown Decatur, Avondale Estates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,121 posts, read 39,064,969 times
Reputation: 15751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMortgages View Post
Try downtown Decatur, Avondale Estates.
On $40M a year? Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 AM
 
3 posts, read 15,667 times
Reputation: 11
The Gainesville/ Oakwood area sounds perfect for you. We have lived her for 12 years. (I grew up in Columbus). We have the Red Rabbit bus system that runs through both towns. Most of the schools are great. Three High schools applied for the International Bacularete progam. West Hall was approved I don't know about the other two. We have Breanau Univ., Lanier Tech and Gainesville College. Gainesville College campus has classes for North GA College so you can get a four year degree without going to Dahlonega. We are an hour from the middle of Atlanta (five points). We have a theatre company. Georgia Mountain Center hosts many events each year. We have the small town feel with most of the conveniences of a large city. The only thing we do not have is clubs, a few restaruants have bars and stay open late. Mall of GA is just south 15 miles of Oakwood. We are on Lake Lanier , the Islands have a water park in summer and light show in Dec. Unemployment is really low. Houses come in all price ranges even up into the millions. Right behind us a new neighborhood is going in with 3 br/ 2 or 3 bath houses for 200,000. Crime here is nowhere near as bad as Columbus. email me at homettd@yahoo.com I would love to talk to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top