Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,879 times

Advertisements

According to Money Magazine, Dallas is where the jobs are in Georgia. Located in Paulding County, Dallas is being rejuvenated by an aggressive economic development plan that includes a multi-million dollar airport project. The average home price is $139,000. The county just recently received the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Excellence for Economic Development award.

I'm looking to relocate out of FL. These economic times are slowly affecting me. I fret loosing my employment. The company I'm with has told us the first quarter of the year will be the deal maker or breaker. So far things have not picked up and I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

I own my home and loosing my job, even for a week can be disastrous. I have a 13 year old, 7th grader and my niece living with me. Needless to say great school system is a MUST (then again, I'm sure anything other than FL curriculum is better). Obviously loosing my job, home ='s bad credit. I'm aware of the consequences, but will be forced into bankruptcy.

The fact the city made it onto the Money Magazine pages I believe is a good sign.

QUESTION: Those currently or previously residing in this town would be the ones I'm interested in speaking to.

I NEED GUIDANCE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM

19 posts, read 59,005 times
no i dont think georgia is the place you will want to be, it has a unemployment rate of 8.1 and the schools is not the best..

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
I live close to Dallas, and I don't think this would be the move for you. You can't go by magazine articles.

That area is as hard hit as any other. The big business district in Hiram (town right next to Dallas) has seen MANY store and restaurant closings - there are even entire abandoned shopping centers in the area. Many of my coworker have kids in some of the schools in the area and while some are certainly better than others, some get fairly bad scores at least by parent satisfaction.

You should also be aware that this is a more blue collar area than others in the metro, and while this may not be the most politically correct thing to say, just note that you will definitely see more pickup trucks with gun racks, rebel flags, and cars that still have Bush/Cheney stickers all over them. I'm not saying the entire county is populated by movie extras from Deliverance... I'm just saying you'll see more of a very rural mentality there than in some other areas of the metro. Now that might actually sound like heaven to you, or not, but I'm just pointing out that it's not an urban-minded area if that is what you're looking for.

You HAVE a job. Keep it. Just save save save as much money as you can just in case. Then, IF you get laid off, you can think about options. It's not a good time these days to have the "I hear the grass is greener over there..." mentality and take risks, so long as you're currently employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia