U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM

420 posts, read 1,144,929 times

Advertisements

Hi, Are there alot of jobs in Georgia, particularly the macon, augusta, and columbus area? How is life in Georgia? How do the people treat northerners? I live in Wisconsin, and I am thinking about moving south, but I just have not discovered the right area yet. I deeply appreciate all of your input. I am married and have two boys 6 and 9, so I am looking for somewhere that is family friendly, and we are christians. Thanks for all your imput, this is a very important decision for our family, and we don't want to make the wrong one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,667,446 times
They don't call this the Bible Belt for nuthin.. I'm sure you will feel quite at home here. The areas with the strongest job markets are metro Atlanta, Savannah, Columbus and Athens.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM

913 posts, read 2,732,619 times
Columbus and Atlanta are the 2 hot spots in Georgia for jobs. Atlanta, because it is Atlanta, and Columbus because of major corporation expansions like Aflac, Cessna, Kia, Synovus, and TSYS. Fort Benning is bringing an additional 40,000 people to the area in the next 3 years which will demand more businesses, etc.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM

84 posts, read 82,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Columbus and Atlanta are the 2 hot spots in Georgia for jobs. Atlanta, because it is Atlanta, and Columbus because of major corporation expansions like Aflac, Cessna, Kia, Synovus, and TSYS. Fort Benning is bringing an additional 40,000 people to the area in the next 3 years which will demand more businesses, etc.
You may be overating Columbus just a bit as Aflac is on a job freeze and Synovus/TSYS are holding firm due to the recent financial market woes.
Kia is quite some distance from Columbus area and with fuel costs would be questionable.
Your city attorney there locally is worried that the Ft Benning exodus may cause major problems for Columbus as the tax digest is at its lowest point ever.
A lot of that cities current issues can be blamed on previous mayors lack of insight.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 PM

913 posts, read 2,732,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialaw View Post
You may be overating Columbus just a bit as Aflac is on a job freeze and Synovus/TSYS are holding firm due to the recent financial market woes.
Kia is quite some distance from Columbus area and with fuel costs would be questionable.
Your city attorney there locally is worried that the Ft Benning exodus may cause major problems for Columbus as the tax digest is at its lowest point ever.
A lot of that cities current issues can be blamed on previous mayors lack of insight.
Aflac is in growth mode right now. They are expanding there campus in Columbus which is creating 2,000 new jobs over the next few years.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM

937 posts, read 709,823 times
The most jobs would be in Columbus (particularly in the finance sector). I'm not very familiar with Columbus, though. If your doing something in the medical field, then Augusta has alot of those jobs. The Augusta Job Market, though, is not very flexible. Macon's job market isn't really a hot spot for jobs either. You should feel fine and have no negative encounters with other people. Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,144,929 times
How about recreation, What do you guys do for fun? How are race relations down there? I hope Georgia is intergrated and not segregated. Would you guys/girls tell someone to move to Georgia or look into somewhere else?

Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 PM

race relations in Augusta and Macon are still very strained.. but it's not like the 1960s. Race relations in Columbus are better.. as well as Athens. Atlanta is known as the city too busy to hate. Savannah has had some problem with race relations in the past but its not as bad as Augusta and Macon.
BTW, Augusta had the worst race riot in Georgia history in 1970.. and lingering racial resentment is still evident.
There was even a fist fight at an Augusta coliseum authority meeting between a black council member and a white self proclaimed "community" activist just a little more than a month ago.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 29,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
race relations in Augusta and Macon are still very strained.. but it's not like the 1960s. Race relations in Columbus are better.. as well as Athens. Atlanta is known as the city too busy to hate. Savannah has had some problem with race relations in the past but its not as bad as Augusta and Macon.
BTW, Augusta had the worst race riot in Georgia history in 1970.. and lingering racial resentment is still evident.
There was even a fist fight at an Augusta coliseum authority meeting between a black council member and a white self proclaimed "community" activist just a little more than a month ago.
As I recall, the fight arose because Woody Merry, the activist, was arguing with the coliseum board member about the member not being present at a recent meeting. This hardly amounts to "racial tension". Yes, Woody Merry is white and the board member was black, but that's the extent of race in this situation. I don't see how you can use this incident to justify your view that Augusta has more racial tension than any other Georgia city.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Mr Merry though only turns his scrutiny on black officials.. even when many of the white ones are guilty of the same crimes. And it is true that nearly every vote on every local board, and the council falls along racial lines.. and the city cannot even hire people unless there is some racial litmus test. I also recall an the incompetent director of the city's engineering dept was fired (she just happened to be black).. and then the black council members wanted to fire the white department heads as retribution. I really don't think any city in Georgia has a government as racially divided as Augusta.. Even CNN did a story about it.
CNN.com - Augusta government divided along racial lines - Mar. 4, 2003 (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/03/04/augusta.gridlock.ap/index.html - broken link)

************************************************** ***************************************
Augusta, GA....Where Ambition Goes to Die.

Last edited by DisgustaTruth; 07-06-2008 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia