Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times

Advertisements

tiffani

All the good things you mentioned about Georgia are true. As a newcomer, I've noticed them first hand. Unfortunately, the traffic isn't one of them.

The good thing I hear about San Antonio is that it's a great place for folks who want to scale down their living expenses, i.e, sell their house in California and buy a mini-mansion in SA. There's certainly some of that here in GA, too. In my view, you can't go wrong with either. But I will say that Atlanta has a much stronger and diversified economy.

As far as Gwinnett County, most newcomers are settling in there more than many other areas. Affordability and proximity to downtown are the biggest draws. There are everyday people from all walks of life, and people tend to get along pretty well. I'm not sure about the racial tensions you've heard about, but suffice it to say that you can find such tensions in SA as sure as you can find them here. I wouldn't worry about that at all. People are way too busy enjoying life.

Being a native Californian, I'd pick GA. It's a much more attractive place, with a stronger economy. And with more and more good people from other parts of the country moving here, the social environment is getting refreshed and invigorated like never before.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
At this point I don't know what to think. I'm looking for some honest thoughts and opinions from those who currently live in the Gwinnett County area. Tell me why I should come to Georgia, surely there are good things that even the biggest pessimist can admit to. Heck, tell me why I shouldn't too!
I live in Cobb County, not Gwinnett, but keep in mind that a "county" is a fairly large place which can be quite diverse itself. Each town and unincorporated community in the county might have a different flavor, and things like crime and house spacing can vary tremendously even within a few blocks (different housing subdivisions are often VERY different from each other even though they might be side by side).

I'm basing this on my experience with Cobb County -- Acworth is quite different from Vinings, Marietta, or Douglasville, and yet all of those places are part of Cobb.

I moved to Georgia from Minnesota, and I love it here. There are a few bad things, but that's to be expected, and I think the positives outweight the negatives for us at this point. Others might have different opinions.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:22 PM

67 posts, read 292,047 times
My family of five moved to Gwinnett County a few years ago. We found it very welcoming. We love the schools (Mill Creek Cluster). Yes, they are big, but class sizes are not. We have EXCELLENT teachers and the curriculum is wonderful. Parents are very involved in the schools. Anything you need is close at hand. Mall of Georgia is close. Housing, Taxes, etc. are reasonable. The traffic can be bad, but once you learn your way around, you can find less congested routes and you just allow for it. The weather is wonderful. Hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:00 AM

104 posts, read 521,529 times
Thanks so much for all the replies! Looks like we're Georgia bound in April!!!!!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 PM

38 posts, read 199,642 times
fooner..i can relate with u. i have been here in s fl for 27 yrs ..im ready for a change. i visited ga many times and noticed the friendliness in people that i have never seen here in s fl. i just never noticed b/c i live here. i know it will be different in ga, more land, cheaper GAS, cheaper living period!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 55,269 times
Default Gwinnett ain't so bad...

tiffani,

I've lived in Gwinnett County for almost 5 years now. However, I live near the southewestern point of the county, and go years between seeing some of the northernmost points of the county. In other words, I tend to gravitate closer to the city for work and play.

While I don't have any children, I do know that Gwinnett County high schools (along with other metro Atlanta schools, as pointed out by another poster just a little earlier) have become a feeder system for UGA. The HOPE scholarship does have much to do with that, but there's other factors at play, as well. I live right around the corner from Parkview High in Lilburn, a school that has a great academic and atheltic reputation.

The parks here are very nice, at least compared to the area I previously lived in Florida. Gwinnett Co. has a decent variety of parks, accomodating everything from skateboarding to nature walks to roller hockey.

Traffic here can be a bit of a problem, and much like many of the Atlanta suburbs, the area isn't pedestrian- or bicycle-friendly. I grew up in South Florida and had easy walking or biking access to nearby towns. In Gwinnett, you need to drive to get practically anywhere. And, at times, that can be unpleasant due to backed-up roads.

As for Bible-thumpers and other closed-minded sorts...it exists on some level, but not any worse than most areas of this size, I don't think. Please ignore any and all stories about the local woman trying to ban Harry Potter from public schools' libraries. :-)

Old 02-09-2007, 06:33 PM

154 posts, read 605,644 times
One of the best school districts in the metro area is Fayette County. It might be a bit more than you want to pay though. But you should definitely check it out. The congestion will be A LOT less than Gwinnett.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 11,805 times
Interesting comments! I am a native Floridian and I feel completely at home here in Blairsville, Georgia. I have felt at home here since the very first day that I visited. It feels like I have stepped back in time to the good old days before Florida was ruined by Disney and northerners who didn't appreciate our southern hospitality and small town ways. Florida was a magnificent place to grow up in way back when.

People respected nature, roads were built around huge oak trees rather than tearing them down and there was no litter to be seen anywhere. (sigh)

I just pray that my new home state of Georgia can be saved from the fate of Florida!

Sharron Lobman

Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:

I've also read a lot of current Gwinnett County residents complaining about it not being all it's cracked up to be. I've heard 1) the people are rude, 2) you have to be a bible thumper, and 3) racial tension is high.
I get so tired of this, and offended, here's my address to your comments...

1) Lets see here, the majority of Gwinett residents are transplants, not from the South, therefore if there is a 'rudeness' perception, which I don't believe, it's due to them and how they were raised, not b/c it's the South

2) I love this, when people refer to 'bible thumper' they're either referring to evangalist or the perception people have of 'Souther Baptists'. How the Hell does someone know if you're a 'Bible Thumper' or not? I'm Catholic btw, born and raised in Cobb, no problems

3) This is the best! Yes we're all KKK members! ONLY 8,000 members nationwide but we all live in Georgia! LOL!!!!! There's no racial tension, the only tension there is right now is "Illegal Aliens". It's only been around for a couple years and it's b/c the influx has been so great in the last couple of years.

Main reason, having 8 cars parked in the middle of your next door neighbors yard, killing your home value. Paying taxes to support others who do not. Healthcare going up b/c others don't pay. Rise in crime. I honestly don't think people would care if they paid taxes and were responsible, if they got citizenship the correct way.

Thousands of Indians/Muslims/Asians work and live in Atlanta legally, on Visas, get citizenship eventually, no one ******* about them, well, except for people like me, software programmers. Not all, but the mass vajority of them don't obide by the rules/laws. People get tired of having to press '1' but they love cheap labor.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 AM

34 posts, read 240,569 times
Quote:
We are deciding between Gwinnett/Hall County Georgia and San Antonio, Texas. I've visited the area (GA, not TX) in July. It seemed pretty nice, but I was taken aback by how close together the houses are, and was warned about the terrible traffic, although I didn't witness any. We visited on the weekend when you typically wouldn't see traffic anyways.

Georgia was very green, very hilly (not so good, I get motion sickness in the car) and overall, very pretty. The shopping was great, and I've heard good things about the schools.

I've also read a lot of current Gwinnett County residents complaining about it not being all it's cracked up to be. I've heard the people are rude, you have to be a bible thumper, and racial tension is high.

At this point I don't know what to think. I'm looking for some honest thoughts and opinions from those who currently live in the Gwinnett County area. Tell me why I should come to Georgia, surely there are good things that even the biggest pessimist can admit to. Heck, tell me why I shouldn't too!

Moving is expensive, so I want to make the right decision.

Thank you so much for any advice/input you have to offer.

If it matters, we have 4 small children, so schools and the HOPE Scholarship are BIG deals to us. We are a middle class family just looking for a good place to raise the kids. If Georgia is not that place, I'd really like to figure that out now, before we go through the hassle.
Well what did people tell your about the area? We are looking to move there too and heard pretty much the same things...
Looking before I leap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia