U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 01:52 PM

47 posts, read 168,236 times

Advertisements

I've been exploring the Gwinnett County parks lately, and I'm terribly impressed. I enjoy the wooded, mulch trails the most for hiking and wish more of the parks catered to this. However, I'm getting off subject. For bike riding, I prefer paved paths and I found a great park for this today. Lenora Park in Snellville. There is a very sunny path that occasionally goes through some tree-shaded areas, but the point is, for bike riding, it looks fantastic. I walked the multipurpose trail today. Only one or two hills that look kind of on the rough side; otherwise, it's just an "enjoy an easy but long ride" type of place. There is supposed to be a fishing lake too, though I didn't see it. Anyway, another great place I have found is Tribble Mill Park. (Tip: if you look for directions to Tribble Mill Park, use Mapquest and not Google - Google map directions are wrong). This is a much prettier path around a lake, and the path is paved but otherwise, it is like a wooded, shaded trail.

I would love to hear where bicyclists enjoy riding - preferably pretty flat paths, and paved. I have a hybrid Trek bike. I can't do huge hills, at least not yet. I am not one to ride in busy streets at all.

By the way, I adore these forums. I get so much from it. So let me give back and link (http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/cgi-bin/gwincty/egov/ep/gcNavView.do?path=Departments|Community+Services|P arks+%26+Recreation|Our+Parks+%26+Facilities|Guide +to+Your+Parks - broken link) to the Gwinnett Park site where you can find out about all the parks - it's been great for me. On the other hand, it doesn't have to be Gwinnett County. I'm interested in DeKalb County and other nearby places, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 AM

1,575 posts, read 5,795,309 times
You HAVE to go check out the Silver Comet Trail which starts in Cobb County and runs to the Alabama border. Attached is a link:

Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Home

The Silver Comet is a paved bike trail that was "installed" on a decommissioned railroad track. I think it is the biking highlight of the entire state of Georgia.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 AM

1,460 posts, read 4,495,340 times
I like to ride on the Suwanee Creek Greenway, which is about 8 miles long. It also connects with George Pierce Park which has several more miles of trails, but not all paved. Soon, the Greenway will connect to the Ivy Creek Greenway, which will go from George Pierce Park to the Gwinnett Environmental Center, and eventually to the not -yet-opened nature center by the Mall of Georgia.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM

47 posts, read 168,236 times
Hey goozer, thanks so much for the info about the Silver Comet trail, and the link. All the way to Alabama. That sounds great! I will definitely have to try that one.

OhioNative, the Suwanee Creek Greenway is close to me! (I'm in Lilburn). I appreciate this info. I can try this one this week or this weekend. Thanks a lot!

By the way, I have to amend my post about Lenora Park. I rode it yesterday, and the hills I mentioned are not at all difficult. It's an easy, fun ride. I rode around about 3 times. I believe it's only about 1.9 miles long. Riding the paved trail at Mountain Park Park is actually more of a workout, but very short.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 64,848 times
Mulberry Park is awesome. It has a 3 mile, 5 mile & 8 mile trail. Allows horses and somewhere in that trek is a waterfall. Great up and down hill scenery!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 22,568 times
Hi! what part of Ohio are you from? I'm from the northeast.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 13,045 times
Anyone know of any *FLAT* bike trails in or around Duluth (or Gwinnett in general)? I biked 14+ miles per day when I lived in Chicago, but this hilly geography just doesn't do it for me!

How flat are the trails listed here already?

Thanks a million!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:32 PM

6,646 posts, read 8,143,095 times
I can't say its flat, but Stone Mountain has always been a spot for recreational cycling and walking as well! Just because of the sheer size of the state park.

This isn't quite for you... but I'd mention Yellow River Park for others. It isn't a paved trail... just a soft one, but it is 12 miles long! It is close to Stone Mountain and Annistown Rd.

I've always heard Tribble Mill and Harbins are really large parks. They probably have paved trails that are a couple miles long and unpaved trails that are much longer.

You might want to check out parks on the periphery of Gwinnett's growth. For awhile Gwinnett put alot of SPLOST money to buy land cheap before it was developed. This had a pro and con... Pro it saves lots of park land for the future before land values rise, but this came at a cost to money that could have been spent closer to where most people lived. The pro in this case... Longer trails!

For people who are planning geeks like me.... Go here: Gwinnett County, GA: Master Planning

The bad is these are long and over detailed, but if you read them you will truely know the status of our parks today, what they have and where, and what is coming in the future with SPLOST funds.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 10,450 times
I agree! Silver Comet is fantastic for novice cyclist that don't look forward to hills. The Paulding County section is the most novice-friendly. There aren't any streets and intersections to cross and it's almost 100% flat. Lots of places to pull off and have a picnic or sit on a bench for a minute. Cool tunnel too. Start around Van Wert or Coots Lake and head east toward Rambo Road and beyond. I can't do hills very well and I've only cycled a few times and my hubby and I went 26 miles! TAKE FOOD and drink, though. This section has no places to stop and eat.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 22,568 times
Default OhioNative Where Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I like to ride on the Suwanee Creek Greenway, which is about 8 miles long. It also connects with George Pierce Park which has several more miles of trails, but not all paved. Soon, the Greenway will connect to the Ivy Creek Greenway, which will go from George Pierce Park to the Gwinnett Environmental Center, and eventually to the not -yet-opened nature center by the Mall of Georgia.
I recently purchased a hybrid bike and have been riding at Rabbit Hill; have you found any additional areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia