U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 AM

104 posts, read 490,775 times

Advertisements

We're moving from VA to GA in April of this year. We've looked at doing it ourselves, but would rather pay someone to do the heavy lifting for us. I want to pack all the boxes, I just want a moving company to come pick them up, along with the furniture, then place it all in our new house.

I'm looking for some recommendations. Did you use a company that you would highly recommend, or even one that I should stay away from?

Anyone have a rough estimate as to what a move (we are in a 3 BR house right now) might cost us? We're still negotiating with my husbands employer about having them pay for the move, or atleast a portion of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 AM

132 posts, read 436,101 times
Hey Tiffani-

We used Graebel Van Lines when we moved 3 years ago. They were both professional and reliable. When we settled in after our move they called to follow up a couple times, and settled our claims (which were very few!) both quickly and professionally. We'll use them again when we move!

http://www.movemyhouse.com/AboutGraebel.aspx (broken link)

Not sure if they are in VA or not. I can't even guess how much it would be, but their website has a quote request I think. When we moved we just had several companies come out and give us estimates.

Have you settled on GA?? Come on down!

Anita

Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,700 times
When we moved across country from Idaho to Georgia last year, we called around to several moving companies to get them to come out and give us a price quote. We did something similar to what you are thinking of doing; packing it ourselves, and have someone else load/move/unload for us.

All the moving companies from whom we received quotes based their quotes on what they estimated the total weight of the load would be. The reason I mention this is that your version of a 3 bedroom household could be way more expensive than someone else's. For us, we are a 5 person/3 bedroom household but we didn't have a lot of heavy furniture or tons of knick-knacks that would take up room in boxes. My parents on the other hand, are pack rats and have accumulated a ton of stuff. Their move from TX to AZ for the two of them cost close to $10k, while ours only cost around $3k.

Anyway, we had a good experience with the moving company we selected. The only bummer was that our stuff arrived late, but that was because there was a winter storm in the western half of the US at the time and the truck had to go through all that. We didn't have a single item arrive broken or scratched, either.

Just remember that when you use a moving company instead of doing it yourself, you might be in your new town for a few days before your items arrive. It depends on how many other people's items are on the truck with yours, as well as whether you were the first or last loaded on the truck.

I'm not sure if I can mention the moving company we used on this site, since it might be considered advertising. If you are interested in that, just PM me.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:46 PM

291 posts, read 1,272,281 times
Be careful, we used several high end movers (company paid for) and had things stolen almost every single time, to make a long story short, pack things unmarked and/or take in your car! I lost count of how many times we got things taken from us, filed police reports too, but we had no evidence to speak of so we were at a lost. Almost all can't be trusted in my humble opinion, we used five different top companies too.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 57,647 times
Talking Moving company info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tiveBlessing View Post
Hello I'm going to be relocationg to GA from California in Febuary. I and my roommate will be using a company called Door to Door. You pack your items in these large sized cubicals and you supply the locks and hold your own keys. They provide a tracking number so you can check on your items. They also offer 15 days of free storage in California and 15 days in Georgia. I will be moving out of my apartment at the end of the month and they will store my items at their warehouse until we move on Feb 13th. I will stay at my mothers house for 3 weeks. Anyway the website is called www.doortodoor.com I hope this helped. Have a blessed day!
Enjoy yourself and may the Lord be with you on your journey!

Last edited by Cre8tiveBlessing; 01-23-2007 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-24-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearsmom View Post
Hey Tiffani-

We used Graebel Van Lines when we moved 3 years ago. They were both professional and reliable. When we settled in after our move they called to follow up a couple times, and settled our claims (which were very few!) both quickly and professionally. We'll use them again when we move!

http://www.movemyhouse.com/AboutGraebel.aspx (broken link)

Not sure if they are in VA or not. I can't even guess how much it would be, but their website has a quote request I think. When we moved we just had several companies come out and give us estimates.

Have you settled on GA?? Come on down!

Anita

Thanks Anita! Yep, Georgia, here we come!!

I'm checking out that site right now. I appreciate your help, yet again!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tiveBlessing View Post
Enjoy yourself and may the Lord be with you on your journey!

Thank You! I'll check them out! Good luck with your move.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
When we moved across country from Idaho to Georgia last year, we called around to several moving companies to get them to come out and give us a price quote. We did something similar to what you are thinking of doing; packing it ourselves, and have someone else load/move/unload for us.

All the moving companies from whom we received quotes based their quotes on what they estimated the total weight of the load would be. The reason I mention this is that your version of a 3 bedroom household could be way more expensive than someone else's. For us, we are a 5 person/3 bedroom household but we didn't have a lot of heavy furniture or tons of knick-knacks that would take up room in boxes. My parents on the other hand, are pack rats and have accumulated a ton of stuff. Their move from TX to AZ for the two of them cost close to $10k, while ours only cost around $3k.

Anyway, we had a good experience with the moving company we selected. The only bummer was that our stuff arrived late, but that was because there was a winter storm in the western half of the US at the time and the truck had to go through all that. We didn't have a single item arrive broken or scratched, either.

Just remember that when you use a moving company instead of doing it yourself, you might be in your new town for a few days before your items arrive. It depends on how many other people's items are on the truck with yours, as well as whether you were the first or last loaded on the truck.

I'm not sure if I can mention the moving company we used on this site, since it might be considered advertising. If you are interested in that, just PM me.
I'm very interested! I think we're along the same lines as you regarding the size/contents of our house. We're selling most of our furniture and buying new when we move, so we're a fairly light load as well. Thanks for the reply. I just sent you a PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,797 times
Tifanni,

We used a local Maryland company, Safeway Van Lines, and they were pretty good. You can get a free quote on their website. the address is Moving Company Washington DC, Maryland & Virginia | Beltway Movers.

Best
A

Last edited by alex_syn; 04-14-2008 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: didnt include the link correctly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or