Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 37,702 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Augusta. How is the cost of living there? What about crime? Does it snow there? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited by Kila14; 04-03-2007 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM

275 posts, read 1,288,669 times
The cost of living is way low compared to the rest of the nation. Crime can be bad more in the inner city, just like anywhere else. Snow? I think not. Maybe once every 5-10 years, max. Any other info you need, feel free to ask I have lived in and around the Augusta area basically my entire life.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the information. What towns would I look for if I didn't want to be directly in the city but still close to employment opportunities.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,374 times
You could look in Evans, Martinez, or North Augusta. The only areas I'd avoid are downtown and south Augusta.

Evans is a great town. There's a lot of building going on, but still plenty of residential areas away from all the hub-bub. It's a wonderful town to raise kids in - really good school system.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 AM

275 posts, read 1,288,669 times
What he said........lol. Jmarkey, I could not have said it better!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Is there job opportunities in Evens. Also I am a single 28 year old female with no children. Is there much to do around the area. I am kinda a country girl so dont require much but do like to go out on the occasional weekend.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM

86 posts, read 437,887 times
I know the MASTERS is played there!!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:41 PM

661 posts, read 2,896,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kila14 View Post
Is there job opportunities in Evens. Also I am a single 28 year old female with no children. Is there much to do around the area. I am kinda a country girl so dont require much but do like to go out on the occasional weekend.
It's hard to answer employment questions. What kind of job are you looking for? You could check the Augusta Chroncle online, though there are plenty of jobs that never get advertised.

My daughter stayed in Augusta after we moved back to New England in '96. She's around your age. NEVER any shortage of things to do or places to go. Clubs, restaurants, movies, etc. She's just finishing up her degree at Augusta State. She loves it there. Just because I don't advise living downtown, doesn't mean you can't go to clubs or restaurants there.

And yes, it's Masters week. I don't golf, so all it ever meant to me was the kids were out of school. And don't even think about going down Washington Rd. She supports herself during college by working at TBonz, so Master's week is big money.

All in all, the Evans, Martinez, downtown area is great. Is there any way you could visit before deciding to move there? Kind of get a feel whether it's your kind of area? I don't know if you're already living in the south or not. It does have its own culture and ways, but the people are super nice and cost of living is lower than most places. We're in TN now and I go down to visit about once a month. I really like that area and all that goes with it.

Good luck

Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM

I live in GA now but live about 30 min north of Atlanta. I do plan on makeing a trip to see the area. Its only about 2.5 hours from me so that not so bad. My work history is mostly Administrative/Clerical so would like to stay with in that feild if possible.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:40 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
So far I would agree with what has been said say far and the only thing I would like to add is that most people seem to be neutral about the area. Nothing to really get excited about bad or good. I know it has its fair share of problems but the government and local populas has been pretty good at keeping things well enough under control as not to cause much of a scene. I think Augusta will continue its normal trend of a slow to medium rate of growth and stay one of GA's most populated cities. Can't really give it as advice having only driven through Wrens a burb way south of Augusta but it is growing fast too and always looked okay but I do prefer the northside myself too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia