Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 21,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcherryatlanta View Post
wow, after hearing all of the comments about dalton, ga., i feel a little safer living in trenton, nj! i was born in chattanooga, tn. but raised in trenton, nj. trenton was a beautiful places many 'moons' ago but we are having so many gang problems here too. we definitely have seen a boom in the hispanic population as well as other nationalities. i personally have no problem with all of this but it is becoming hard to obtain employment because of these various nationalities looking out for their own first. but the caucasian population has been doing it for years, so don't get mad at others for following the pattern. as far as everyone suggesting chattanooga, it seems like each of you are trying really hard to push people out of dalton for one reason or another into chattanooga. if everyone follows the suggestions, chattanooga will soon be overpopulated as well with the same problems. the first few comments about dalton and chattanooga seemed genuine but after a while, it became all too clear that dalton locals would rather 'paint' their town as horrible to scare away anyone looking to move there. it is also transparent to everyone that suggesting chattanooga right away looked suspicious too. thanks guys and ladies but not everyone was born yesterday. have a good one!
Hey Red Cherry- Do you go to Carmines in Alpharteeta for Pizza at all? It's some of the best! I drive 80 miles to there from chatsworth! Also Jersy Mikes Subs Rocks- We were friends with the owner for Ages in Point pleasant where i grew up.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 18,135 times
I have read comments about lived here all my life and have two young boys . I live in the Beaverdale community about 15 minutes north of Dalton. It is a good area to live in close to Dalton they have new highschool being built by about two miles down the road and a good elementry school about mile up the road. Not that bad of an area I was in the ARMY been all over the place every were you go ther are pros and cons check it out for your self.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 12,687 times
first of all, disregard any of the negative comments you find on here from anyone who doesn't live in Dalton. They are all full of distortions. Dalton, like any town, isn't perfect, but I have just spent a few minutes reading very unrealistic descriptions of Dalton, mostly from people in neighboring communities. I'm not sure why people in surrounding communities hate Dalton so much. Maybe our large hispanic population brings out their racist tendencies, maybe they hate seeing our high school football team continue to be superior to theirs. I'm sure there are more reasons I can't even imagine.

Case in point, notice how many are quick to label the school system a joke. Follow the link below . . .

[URL="http://www.usnews.com/sections/education/high-schools/"]http://www.usnews.com/sections/education/high-schools/[/URL]

. . .to read about Dalton High School in the latest issue of U.S.News & World Report. The magazine features a "best public high schools" list. The ranking formula includes several indicators such as college readiness of students and academic performance of disadvantaged students. Dalton is ranked in the top 500 Nationwide, receiving a "Silver" Award. I think this is two years in a row receiving this award.

Now go back at ask all the naysayers if their school is on the list. Nevermind, I just checked the list for the whole state. Calhoun(Silver) and Rome(Bronze)are the only other schools in this area to receive the award. Not Ringgold, Northwest Whitfield, Southeast Whitfield, or Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe. Not Cartersville, Murray County, or Heritage. Gordon Central, Sonoraville, Gilmer Co, you guys didn't make it either. So perhaps jealousy of our award winning high school could be another reason for the previouly described hatred from the out-of-towners.

next, the "run down" comment. The city totally renovated the downtown area in the 90's and has a strong downtown merchant association. The Courthouse just finished major renovations, and the new City Hall is so nice, some have complained that it is TOO extravagent. Sure there are parts of town that aren't as well kept, the recession has hit this town pretty hard. Unemployment in the mills has been very high, around 12+%, but run down? No.

as as far as gangs, well, anybody that doesn't think THEY have gang activity in their town is either stupid or lying. Dalton is no different. Being a teacher, I have seen firsthand the good work that the task force does here. They work closely with school officials to help us keep activity out of our schools. I think US NEWS would have noticed if our halls were full of gang-bangers like some make it sound.

and lastly, the minority population. Yes, I have a lot of hispanic students. I also have students from Korea, S. Africa, India, and Europe. Oh, and yes, I have students that are black, and whites, too. The culural diversity is a problem for many who grew up here decades ago when this was a mostly white, with a very small black population. Many of my hispanic students were born here, and many of their parents have applied for, and received citizenship, so again, this idea that illegals, sporting gang colors running the halls of the schools is hogwash.

Truth is, Dalton is like many towns. There are actually two Daltons. For business owners, professional, middle and upper class families, you will find moslty positive comments. Unfortunately, the large labor force is paid poor wages, and this contributes to sections of town with sub-par housing and higher crime rates. Honestly, outside of Beverly Hills, and West Palm Beach, are there any places left where this isn't true?

I live here. I teach here. and I'm sure you can tell, I'm proud of that. Proud enough to counter the ridiculous exaggerations of many of the previous posters.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Location: I live in the North Ga. Mtns. but originaly from Fontana Dam, NC.
2 posts, read 14,304 times
Well, so far I have not seen prostitution offered on the sides of the street like you see in Chatt, TN...everywhere...lol. I live in Chatsworth, Ga. a sweet little town about 15 mins or so from Dalton.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 23,863 times
Contrary to what others are saying I grew up in Dalton and it is not run down. We have two walmarts, two kmarts, our own mall, red lobster, longhorn, chilis, we have plenty nice subdivisions and neighborhoods. Chattanooga is such a big city the crime rate is terrible and you have to be careful about which parts of town you go to. Because Dalton is primarily mexicans there are "hood" parts of town. Our schools meet the requirements and even exceed sometimes we have private Christian schools and since chatt is just thirty minutes away you can send your kids to either and all girl or all boy school. Dalton also has it's own college. There are 4 high schools to choose from in Dalton. Also if you take the job in Dalton there are 4 neighboring cities that are like 15 minutes from Dalton. Varnell, Cohutta, Tunnel Hill, and Chatsworth. We have a tj maxx, two krogers two starbucks basically we have about everything except for a hollister abercrombie or Victorias secret but Chattanooga does and it's only 30 minutes away. Atlanta is about an hour away. I wouldn't wanna live anywhere but Dalton ga

Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 11,795 times
Dalton isnt a bad place to leave i was born here and i just hit my 20's i know about the goods and bads,,we have a lot of kinds of people theres the rich people the middle class and the low class,,this place is like any other,,the schools arent bad the education is good,,the college offers good classes,,we have more cops then people!! (no joking) they are really cracking down on undocumeted workers (which in one hand is good because there was alot of abuse with hard labor and low pay and the citizens had a hard time to find work because employers knew they had to be fair with them and on the other hand its bad because they came to work for their families better living and they get separated from their families without the law concidering their childern without care) There is a lot of racistism white to black, brown to white,black to brown and sooo on but leave it to the cops to check a hispanic up and down and all around,, in my mind the cops are our biggest racist people here,,the people are friendly but also think about too much stereo typing,

Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,061 times
is the population in Dalton still 48% latino?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 9,290 times
Hello I'm looking to move to Dalton Ga, looking at a home in Westwood Circle... Is that an bad area or low income area? I'm moving from Florida and I'm not really use to really ruff area's, trying to see what I'm getting into before I move lol. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 PM

56 posts, read 120,820 times
Thats not a bad area at all. I have a townhome for sale in Hammond Creek which is about a mile from where you are looking. Very nice. Message me if youd like more info.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,081 times
So how is Dalton GA now for blacks in 2016-2017.. can someone update me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia